Carly Reads Here | April 2017

Six books, six different genres. I definitely have a pretty eclectic mix of books this month, including a couple that I really loved. I'll skip the long intro because my review blurbs always tend to be lengthy, but linking up for Show Us Your Books- stop by and share what you've been reading recently.



The Sign of Four | This is the second novel I've read by Arthur Conan Doyle, and admittedly my interest piqued because of my love of the BBC series. I really enjoyed every page of this-- you're met head on with Holme's cocaine addiction & it's the story where Watson meets Mary, so that's fun. The story read as fast-paced with the right amount of adventure and mystery, and I'm just a fan of Doyle's writing and miss the characters when I'm done reading.

Behold the Dreamers | So many feels. Behold the Dreamers is about two Cameroonian immigrants living in America seeking out a better life for their family as they await news on their asylum application status. This book was equal parts hopeful and heartbreaking with characters so complex that you felt like they could be someone you know. Some of their choices often made me frustrated and sad, but I think this is an impossible book to read and not feel something for the characters and their experience. This is such an important book, especially in today's society with ongoing misconceptions about immigration.
c/o netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Aristotle & Dante Discover the Universe | This book has over 4-stars on Goodreads and more awards than I have ever seen on one book cover. It was moving and poetic and pulls you right into the story. It falls into the #ownvoices and #diversebooks realm, a story about two boys, Ari and Dante, who are struggling with their identity. It was one of those books that felt relatable even though I had very little in common with either character, and I think that's part of what makes it so endearing.

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It
 | I saw this on some kind of upcoming book list and then it ended up being a read now option on Netgalley, and it was perfect for one of the Read Harder categories, so I was 3x excited to read it-- plus the cover wins some points too. The book starts off with the nostalgia of early internet days, which was fun to read about despite it not being relatable at all. I didn't meet a famous person in a chatroom when I was in high school and become BFFs with them and attend hollywood parties. I kind of lost interest when it turned into the author complaining about various types of social media- I think it was an attempt to be funny, but it just didn't work for me.  c/o netgalley in exchange for an honest review

When You Reach Me | This was a 2010 Newbery Medal winner and I enjoyed it so much! It's about a girl living in New York City, and she gets four letters from someone and she has to figure out what they mean. I loved the writing and all of the minor characters and their story lines. I wasn't expecting the time travel element, even though the mentions of A Wrinkle in Time should have been foreshadowing I guess. That element was a little confusing and not my favorite, but I loved the rest of the book so much that it didn't bother me.

Small Admissions | I dare say this wins for my least favorite book of the year so far. It had so much potential, about a woman in New York who loses everything after being dumped by her boyfriend. She ends up getting a job in a private school's admissions office and starts to get her life back on track. You don't exactly know what happened with the BF, so that kept me slightly interested, but otherwise I didn't mesh with the style/format of the writing or the lack of transitions. I could go on about how I found the characters all too outrageous, but I'll just sum up by saying I didn't like anything about this book and I'm apparently very picky with my chick lit choices.  c/o netgalley in exchange for an honest review



I haven't decided what I'm going to read next, I feel like there's added pressure to find a good book after reading one you really dislike.

41 comments

  1. The internet book sounded like it had real potential until you said it ended in a rant. Boo! I think Aristotle and Dante is on my TBR so I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When You Reach Me has been on my list for so long. i really need to get around to reading it!

    Sarah
    Midwest Darling

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently reading through the Sherlock Holmes stories for the second time and I thoroughly enjoy most of them! It's definitely a nice reading project to have for the year since there's so many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a pretty good reading month overall! :) I'd like to read the Sherlock Holmes books someday! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been told mulitple times to read the Sherlock Holmes books and still haven't. Maybe it's something I'll start digging into this summer. Behold the Dreamers sounds really good too. Gonna add that one to to my TBR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the title of the computer book.

    LOL @ the book in the lead for the worst of the year so far. There is honor in distinction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a shame the Computer book didnt really take off - what a fun idea & concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Behold the Dreamers and the Internet book sound interesting enough! You always have such a mix of genres, which I love. Thanks for your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I need to put down all my other books and start Behold the Dreamers <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  10. I normally like to read a mix of genres but this month I was heavy into mysteries/thrillers. I've read some of Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories but should real a novel on Sherlock Holmes because I'm a big fan too. Adding it to my TBR! Adding Behold the Dreamers to my TBR. And I am also very, very fussy about my chick lit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me a couple of months ago where I was reading back to back (to back) thrillers, and I'm glad I'm not alone on being picky with chick lit. I'm currently (slowly) reading my way through the first Sherlock short story collection and am really enjoying it too!

      Delete
  11. When You Reach Me was a favorite of mine too, but, like you, I could have done without the time travel thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still haven't read an actual Sherlock Holmes book although I really feel like I would like them! Love the show & the character in general. Behold the Dreamers & Aristotle and Dante are on my list!! Such diverse reads for you this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had Small Admissions on my NetGalley queue for about a year, but I just can't bring myself to read it. Bummer you also thought it was bad! Behold the Dreamers sounds super good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Behold the Dreamers is already on my to read list. While Small Admissions looks like a book I'd read, I'm going to pass based on your review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. aristotle & dante was on my list for ages, then i removed it, maybe i should put it back. i don't know. i tried to start it a couple of times and never got past the first page. Behold the Dreamers sounds heartbreaking. when you reach me sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh I so wanted to read Small Admissions - that was even my book club suggestion, but glad I got vetoed now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely adding Aristole & Dante Discover the Universe and When You Reach Me. They both sound like really good books, especially since they've won so many awards, so I hope that I end up liking them as much as you did! I definitely feel the pressure to read a good book after reading some that I don't particularly care for. But I have a feeling that you'll find a good one, you tend to read some pretty awesome books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Sherlock Holmes but haven't read any of the books in a long time.
    Ha - The computer book, I bet I could relate to some of it although she sounds a little older than me. I feel like I am the very last generation who went through high school and college without cell phones or social media.
    When You Reach Me sounds really good! I like middle grade and time travel...

    ReplyDelete
  19. The computer book makes me want to read it simply because of the name. So, kudos to that author.

    I feel like Aristotle and Dante is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good to read your review on "I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It"...Bummer you didn't really care for it but I'm still intrigued to read it just to maybe understand this author's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Behold the Dreamers sounds like a book that I want to run out and get immediately. I love the mix of genres. I have some months like that, and I find when I select books for book challenges, I like to mix up the genres too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved When You Reach Me so much...I've liked all her books.
    I just finished reading that one to my class.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Behold the Dreamers is officially on my must-read list now! I was looking for a good book for our boat day this weekend since I just finished the one I was reading. <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've read various books/short stories with Sherlock, but not this one! I want to read everything at some point. I'm curious about When You Reach Me- I've heard good things. I LOVE Ari and Dante.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahh so glad you liked "Sign of Four" - I've read every Sherlock Holmes book and I really liked this particular one.
    Also, I'll have to ready "When You Reach Me" - I've heard so many good things!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  26. Someone told me about Aristotle & Dante and I remember it sounding lovely, but i don't think I ever put it on my list. Thanks for reminding me!

    When You Reach Me sounds lovely too, adding it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love any book about immigrants/refugees. The real and extreme challenges they face are remarkable in my opinion. Behold the Dreamers is such a timely book since the spotlight is hot and bright right now! Hope I can get to it in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aww bummer about the admissions book I had that on my list, but I might just take it off LOL! Adding the computer book to my list - sounds really good! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooh all of your reads sound so good! I've never read any Sherlock Holmes books but I pick one up next :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just added Behold the Dreamers to my reading list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love my computer...sounds like a summary of my social life so far. Haha.
    Must add these to my piling list. Seriously. I need some more brain food.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Aristotle & Dante has been on my list for a while - I really want to check it out. I haven't tried a Sherlock Holmes book in a long time but that sounds interesting. I'm worried the writing would be too old fashiony for me to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Behold the Dreamers was such a great read! I was very impressed with the ending too, I feel like I respected the book a lot more for not necessarily going down the "happy ending" route in the way that I wanted it to. I recently also read Americanah and it reminded me of this book a lot too. Sherlock Holmes novels are so good, Hound of Baskerville might be my all time favorite one. He also wrote a bunch of great shorter stories!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I Love My Computer... has such a good title! I wish it hadn't fallen flat for you because I was totally intrigued by it until I saw that the ending didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I feel like I haven't heard of ANY of these!!! I have been such a slacker lately with reading. I blame it on being sick.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That's a bummer about the last one because it does sound like it has potential!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm super intrigued by I Love My Computer, but bummed to hear you didn't really connect with it. The nostalgia of early internet days before social media is so real!
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  38. I haven't seen any of these books before so that is quite intriguing. I hope you enjoy your next read.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I really want to get back to reading more. I need to schedule it into my day. I always love your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Behold the Dreamers is definitely next on my to-read list! I went on a Colleen Hoover kick recently for some easy reads and now I need something with more substance! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top