Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors

We finally had the opportunity to visit the Infinity Mirrors exhibit so I thought I would share our visit. Our experience was so different from what I was expecting. I guess because getting tickets was so stressful, and there seemed to be endless articles about it taking 2-3 hours to get through the exhibit, I expected mass chaos or something. Our tickets were for 10:15 and we got there about 15 minutes early-- there were a few people in front of us in line and quite a few people already lined up for the 10:30 time slot, but getting there that early didn't seem necessary. It was all really organized, as you're waiting outside you flash your tickets and get a sticker and a brief rundown of the event and then you get to go inside.

At that point you can check your bags and jackets downstairs, or head right up to the exhibit where you wait in a second line to actually have your tickets scanned before going into the exhibit. While there is an obvious flow, you don't have to go into the rooms in order (with the exception of the last room). Along with the six rooms, there were other amazing art pieces throughout the exhibit, but we kind of breezed over those to take advantage of there being no wait to go into the actual rooms. There were maybe one or two people in front of us and we got through the entire exhibit in about 30 minutes.

You get 20-30 seconds in each of the mirrored rooms and the time goes quickly, but not as fast as I was expecting. In one of the rooms I was actually ready to get out before the time was over. You go in four mirrored rooms, look into one amazing mirrored space, and on the way out pass through the obliteration room and make your mark by adding dot stickers wherever your heart desires.

We snapped about a zillion pictures on our phones, only to look at them later over brunch at B Too and realize that most of the pictures were pretty underwhelming (or blurry)... at least compared to the ultra creative photos splashed all over social media. Lately I've had to stop and remind myself not to compare myself so harshly to others. Life is more than a clever photograph, and the photos we take are our own experiences and memories and nothing in the world can compare to that, so if you're reading this take it as a friendly reminder not to be too hard on yourself.

We definitely hope to go back again while the exhibit is on display so we can take more time looking at the other artwork in the exhibit-- and get a few better photos ;)

carly blogs here; infinity mirrors; hirshhorn;
The exhibit is at the Hirshhorn until May and free tickets become available Monday at 12pm for the following week. It heads to Seattle in June.

15 comments

  1. Wow this is so cool! I think some of those exhibits would have made me so disoriented! Glad you guys were able to get in and out with no problems! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible exhibit - looks amazing!! I'm wondering if something like this will come to Boston! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. This so neat! I love all of the pictures you took.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks SO trippy. What a fun concept. I don't think I've ever been to a museum/exhibit where your time was limited. Is that normal for rotating exhibits?

    I try to remind myself of that as well - we're all different and comparison really helps no one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah, this is so awesome! I'm glad you got to go. And, I'm with you on pictures. Lately, I'm all about just putting away my phone and enjoying the experience for myself. Not everything has to be documented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow gorgeous! I've never heard of this place but definitely would love to visit if I'm ever in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing exhibit! I was loving your insta-snaps, so much fun! Definitely worth the hassle of getting the tickets <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like my vertigo would go NUTS in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO COOL! I would love to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so cool!! I really love the dotted room at the end of your post and the pink one. You make a great point not to compare you photos to others because they are how you experienced. Totally guilty of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going when it comes to Atlanta!! Thanks for the insight into.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so cool that you got to check out such a cool exhibit, and for free too! I'm definitely one that gets into the comparison game too, but your photos really are all about documenting your memories and experiences and that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of this but it looks amazing!!! Nowhere near this scale, but I did a hall of mirrors last year at the beach, and they had colored lights and optional glasses you could wear to make it more challenging to get through. The glasses multiplied the lights and turned everything into rainbows and it was incredibly psychedelic and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this looks really cool! I had never heard of it before. I hear on the whole underwhelming picture thing though - sometimes I'm so disappointed in the photos I took, especially when in my head, I think they are going to be amazing, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top