Currently | March 2017

Happy March (and almost springtime), I'm always excited to linkup with Kristen and Gretch to share what I've been up to lately, and Joey for stuff & things.
photo @ convival dc
reading | A Man Called Ove, and I'm mentioning it here because I don't think it's going to make it into a reading recap post. It was the Beyond Words book club pick for February and such a great read. Such good writing, storytelling, character development... you'll laugh and cry.



listening | I went out on a limb with Lincoln in the Bardo on audio! I've never listened to an entire fiction audiobook, but had heard so much buzz about this one I thought it was worth checking out-- it has over 166 narrators! I had a hard time following at first because I didn't realize parts of it are written in a script-like format. While I much prefer to read words off the page, I plan on finishing this one, but really want to read it in physical form & wish I would have read first, then listened.

eating | I got on a roll with trying new recipes and had some really good luck! The SkinnyTaste skillet cordon bleu was shockingly amazing and one of the easiest recipes I've ever made.

I also made slow cooker cabbage rolls that made the perfect freezer meal with the leftovers. My husband doesn't care for cabbage, so I used some of the leftover filling and rolled them into little riceballs and he ate them over sautéed spinach and they were a huge hit.

Normally I'd choose french toast or waffles over pancakes any day, but I got a craving for chocolate chip pancakes & now I want to make them every weekend. We think the buttermilk was key in the recipe!
cbh; currently; she reads truth
writing | I would be lying if I said I wasn't kind of failing at most of the things I mentioned in this post, but I finally started the SRT Ephesians study and really don't know what took me so long, but I'm a little bit thankful to be reading it now because there has been so much I can relate to the current state of our country.

excited about | In general, spring. It's my favorite season in DC, especially because the cherry blossoms are right around the corner. You can't even be mad about the crowds or rude people because it's just so pretty. Peak bloom dates were just announced and I'm wondering how accurate they'll be this year with the roller coaster weather we've had.

More immediately, seeing the infinity mirrors exhibit next week... they release (free) tickets weekly, but they sell out in seconds, so it took 3 tries to get a weekend time slot, but I'm hoping it lives up to the hype!
watching | Three things... this season of Top Chef was my favorite-- probably because I really liked all three contestants that made it to the end, though I was really sad Sheldon didn't make it to the final two and kind of feel like it's rigged so Brooke can have her redemption? Still love Brooke though!

A few weeks ago Brie mentioned Riverdale, a new show on the CW that's based loosely on Archie comics. While it's based on a more recent version of Archie, not the old school ones I used to read, it's still pretty fun and Archie's ridiculous fake red hair is starting to grow on me.

Big Little Lies has been just as good as I anticipated and I've found myself really looking forward to the next episode. My husband guessed the twist (if it holds true to the book) right away, and I'm wondering if it's just obvious because it's a TV show? When I read the book it still holds to one of the most surprising endings ever.

remembering | you don't have to like the exact same things as everyone else to be valid or important, but if you do that's okay too.

What's new with you?

31 comments

  1. Love what you are "remembering" - SO true. I really have to watch Big Little Lies soon! I am kind of tempted to wait until it's all out so that I can binge watch it. Haha. That skinnytaste recipe looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved Ove!! such a great book and I totally related to his curmudgeony personality LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Archie is ADORABLE!!! Not looking like any 15/16 year old I ever knew!! #thoseabs

    I have heard from a few people about the Ove book. I have it on audiobook but I just dont get the same feels from those - I need to buy it to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who just moved to DC, and I've been talking with her about heading up for cherry blossoms. With this warm weather, they might bloom before I can get there! I can't believe how warm it is up and down the east coast. Also, that skillet looks amazing!!

    Meg, Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh love your "remembering" section here. So true and a good reminder indeed. I have heard decent things about Riverdale. I enjoy the cheesy and/or dramatic CW shows. Jane the Virgin and iZombie (i know it sounds dumb, but it's super good) are two of my favorites right now. I have commitment issues with TV though! LOL So I wait and binge it all later. Living in DC sounds fun, I'd love to see the cherry blossoms someday! Looking into that skinnytaste recipe! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I am definitely making that skillet chicken cordon bleu this weekend! It sounds amazing! And yes to spring time! I've never been to DC in the spring but the pics I've seen are so gorgeous! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chicken recipe looks so good. I love skinnytaste. We watched a few episodes of Riverdale, but I think we are going to save it for when the rest of our shows end this season. I watched the first episode of Big Little Lies last night and I am not sure how I feel about it. I couldn't guess the twist reading the book either which is why it was one of my top favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to visit D.C. during cherry blossom season. I really need to plan for it next year! And I'm loving Big Little Lies. I didn't read the book but am still into it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 166 narrators?! wow! i've never heard of that book. interesting. the skillet cordon bleu sounds amazing, you had me at easy. haha.
    hmmmm. i remember being super shocked at the twist for big little lies, so i can't wait to see if the tv show is more obvious or not. i'm trying to hold out until it's finished. i don't like waiting. Riverdale looks fun.
    love your 'remembering'. absolutely, totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading A Man Called Ove as well and it's so good! I loved Frederik Backman's other book, My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry and it was also funny, sad , and beautiful! He's such a fantastic writer!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read Ove but I did start another book by him - My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry - and I just couldn't get into it. :-/ I guess that's the "remembering" of the month in action. I do own it though so if you'd like a copy I'd be happy to send it on to you - Let me know!
    I have always wanted to see the DC cherry blossoms - SO beautiful!!!
    And definitely going to try the SkinnyTaste cordon blue recipe - That is one of my favorite meals but always seems too time-consuming these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Going to DC for the cherry blossoms is high up on my list even if it's high tourist season. And that skillet chicken cordon bleu sounds DELISH! Happy Friday Eve <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally agree about Top Chef, and I can't get enough of Riverdale!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cordon bleu recipe sounds delicious!
    Would you recommend watching the TV show Big Little Lies or reading the book? I've heard both suggestions and I don't know if one will ruin the other (more)?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard amazing things about A Man Called Ove, so glad to see that you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't have cable so I can't watch the current season of Top Chef, but I'm watching an old season now! I can't wait to see the new one because all my favorites are on.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. D.C. in spring I just love it so much! We visited during peak bloom a couple of years ago and I want to go back because the cherry blossoms were so incredible. We're watching Big Little Lies and listening to it as well. We haven't gotten to the end yet, so Chris still doesn't know the twist but even after watching the first two episodes he still doesn't know so I think that your husband is just super observant or very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love what you're remembering girl! I feel like there are so many things as a blogger that I "should" like, but just don't. And DC in the spring is my absolute favorite as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am staying away from Big Little Lies until I get a chance to read the book! :) Those cabbage rolls looks so good - wonder if there is a way to make them vegetarian?

    Have you seen the new Netflix comedy trailer "Santa Clarita Diet"? I was looking for something to watch the other day and noticed it has Drew Barrymore, so I watched the trailer and it looks hilarious! I think Aaron and I are going to try watching the first episode this weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never heard of A Man Called Ove until Sunday night when I saw the film version was nominated for a few Oscars. Glad to hear you enjoyed it; now I'm curious to look into it more!

    I really like audiobooks for when I'm running or commuting, but some formats just don't translate well. I think it has to be a straight-up novel for me to not get confused during the narration!

    I can't wait to be in DC for the cherry blossoms in a few weeks to do the race again! Hopefully this year race day won't be preceded by weeks of aggressive wind that blow all the blossoms off the trees, hah. Are you around on April 2?

    And your note on liking what everyone else does--very true!

    ReplyDelete
  21. SkinnyTaste has some of the best recipes! I've only read good reviews about The Man Called Ove so I can't wait to read it next. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'll definitely watch Riverdale because I love Archie's. :)
    Gotta get my copy of A Man Called Ove. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm on the waiting list at the library for A Man Called Ove! I've heard such great things about it! I need to check out some of those Skinny Taste recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That last point. GIRLFRIEND. Yes. I recently came to that realization and I am so much happier for it. Be you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great final reminder under your remembering. :) I have to start watching Big Little Lies - I haven't read the book yet, but the show looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all the Cherry Blossoms!! I have always wanted to go to DC to see them. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really want to check out Riverdale! I've heard good things. And now I want choc chip cookies. Ok, when do I not? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I did a book exchange chain letter thing back in the fall, and one of the books sent to me was A Man Called Ove...which at the time I was kind of "meh" about receiving, but I keep hearing great things about it and your thoughts on it now have me excited to read it. Also, totally pinning those two recipes now - I've been wanting to make cabbage rolls forever but didn't have a trustworthy recipe.
    Ya...Riverdale is far from the Archie we loved and grew up with, but I'm still enjoying it! I love teen dramas though ;)
    I wasn't able to guess the ending of Big Little Lies when I was reading it either. I loved that book! I haven't been watching the show though as we don't have HBO :(

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've heard good things about Big Little Lies and though I haven't read the book, I'm excited to watch the show!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved A Man Called Ove and I'm so glad you enjoyed it too! I just finished a really weird thriller called The Good Girl that I can't get out of my mind. Reading about everything you've been cooking lately has me hungry! I tried to make creme brule earlier this week because Nick loves it, but it was a huge fail. It tasted delicious, but I didn't cook it long enough in the oven so it was kinda soupy. I'm going to try again tomorrow or Friday so we can have it over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved Top Chef this season as well, but I wanted Sheldon and Brooke in the top two, but I am glad Brooke won. Such a good season.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top