Carly Reads Here | March 2017

show us your books, book of the month club, botm, behind her eyes, best thrillers
This post was originally going to be the post of all the new releases, but it turned into the post with all of the thrillers instead. After reading Behind Her Eyes I was in the mood for books I wouldn't be able to put down, and it definitely got me out of my reading lull.

Behind Her Eyes | After hearing all of the hype around the ending of this book, I wanted to read it so bad that I finally joined BOTM(link is my referral code) and eagerly awaited its arrival on my doorstep. It's a psychological thriller about a woman who has an affair with a man, who ends up being her boss, and then she accidentally befriends his wife. I absolutely loved the pace of this book, and how pieces of the puzzle are revealed as you're reading-- not all at once when you get to the end. But the ending made me kind of mad/disappointed. Still 4 stars and highly recommend if you like psychological thrillers.



You | This is a book people either seemed to love or hate, but somehow I ended up giving it a middle of the road, 3 stars. I was hoping it was going to be more of a fast paced thriller, but it was long and not very thrilling by my definition. Dark and creepy? Yes and yes. During the first few chapters I was worried it was going to be a bunch of fluff, thankfully that wasn't the case and I found the writing clever and fitting. The story is told from Joe's point of view- he's a psychopath who obsesses over, and stalks a girl he ends up dating. There were parts that were a bit too vulgar for my taste, but thankfully they weren't too frequent. I guess the 3 stars was because I didn't really love the book & have little desire to read the second one, but I still thought it was well written.

Dark Matter | I wasn't sure I was going to be able to read this before my library loan expired, but I decided I'd just read the first chapter and see what I thought... I ended up reading the entire book in two days because it's so fast paced you really can't put it down. At first it reminded me of a gritty version of Family Man, or one of those holiday movies where the person wakes up with a different life combined with Jason Bourne or something. It was so trippy and non-stop action, making it impossible to stop reading. If you like thrillers, but are put off by the science-fiction element of it, I'd still suggest giving it a shot.

You Will Know Me | I picked up this thriller based around gymnastics and how far parents will go for their children to succeed to cross off the sports category for the Read Harder Challenge. I mistakenly went into it thinking it was going to be more about Devon (the gymnast), so I had a hard time adjusting to the writing style. For me a different point of view would have been more effective in building both empathy and suspense. More than anything I felt like it was a commentary on how their son gets neglected and I just kept thinking, poor Drew! It was a quick read and a page turner, despite quite a few plot holes and disjointed parts of the story.

The Girl Before | I first came across this when I saw it on Oyla's blog, but have seen it everywhere lately so I was glad I snagged it when I saw it on Netgalley. This is a psychological thriller about two women who had lived in the same unusual minimalist house at one point in time. Every other chapter switches between the two women's stories (then & now) as you try and piece together what happened to the first women. If you're at all interested in the idea of minimalism (& thrillers), I think you'd enjoy this. thank you netgalley for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Couple Next Door | It's possible that if this was the first thriller I read, I would have liked it a little bit more, but the story was hard to believe from the very beginning. A couple leaves their baby home alone while they go to a party-- I'm not a parent, but I could never imagine leaving a child home alone while I left the house. It read at a great pace and I was curious to know the ending, but the thrilling element of it was lost because the plot seemed to get more unrealistic as the story went on.

In case you don't want to read my lengthy reviews for some of the books Behind Her Eyes, Dark Matter, and The Girl Before were all 4-star books for me. I'm currently anxiously awaiting a very long wait list for I See You, but am welcoming the break from thrillers for a little bit.

On the subject of books, there's a great campaign going on to raise money for RefugePoint, an organization that helps the world's most at-risk refugees. The #Read4Refugees campaign encourages you to donate what you would spend on a night out and stay in and read instead. Even if you're unable to donate monetarily, sharing campaign on social media can help spread the word and you can scroll through the hashtag and see what authors are participating.

Do you have a favorite genre that you tend to read all in a row? What's your favorite thriller?

reading challenges
Modern Mrs. Darcy 4/12
Read Harder 2/24

32 comments

  1. dark matter was incredible! i gave it to my SVP to read and he loved it as well (which is a challenge since he's super picky and judgey with books).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read Dark Matter soon!! I am in the middle of The Girl Before and loving it. I really enjoy books that are fast-paced like that sometimes because they are so absorbing and enjoyable. The Couple Next Door is on my list but I didn't know what it was about...I am not sure if I'm for that (highly sensitive parent right here :S).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that The Couple Next Door got a little too much, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dark Matter is one of my all-time favorite books! I read it last year and fell in love. It's supposed to eventually become a movie.

    I enjoyed The Couple Next Door, even though the general opinion is that it was over the top.

    And I'm reading Behind Her Eyes right now, and trying to figure out where it's going to go.

    All the others are on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed You a lot, but it's definitely not for everyone. The second one has a very different feel...most people who liked You thought it wasn't as good, but who knows maybe you would like it better if You didn't do it for you, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay for being out of your reading funk! i'm glad you liked dark matter! i thought it was so good, and you're right, very fast paced and hard to put down because you think 'after this chapter or this bit' but then more happens lol. the couple next door is on my list, i have heard it compared to the maddie mccann story, which i still can't believe those parents left their child alone, and that was several years ago. i doubt it's exactly the same story though, as maddie hasn't been found and that was never solved. but still, it's on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that charity that promotes such a good cause AND reading!
    I try to mix up my genre between every book because I dont want to get so burned out on one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many of these are on my reading list, so now I'm extra excited to get some of them. So many thrillers to read lately!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Girl Before and The Couple Next Door have been on my TBR, glad to hear you liked one of them. The Couple Next Door sounds disappointing now. I hate when plots are so unrealistic that it is hard to like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read most of these and loved them. Especially YOU and Dark Matter.

    I won't read You Will Know Me, despite liking Megan Abbott because, with my daughter being a competitive cheerleader, it hits too close to home. I'd probably wind up putting people I know in place of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dark Matter was definitely a can't-put-it-down book! You fell flat for me too. I liked it, but it didn't live up to the hype for me. I am dying to read Behind Her Eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that you liked The Girl Before. I really enjoyed reading the different chapters and seeing the similarities between the two women. Behind Her Eyes is one that everybody has been raving about lately, and I'm hoping to pick it up soon! I also have You Will Know Me on my list, so obviously I just need to try and catch up on reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Creep/thriller is my jam so I've read all of these with the exception of The Girl Before which I am waiting on from the library.

    I was very WTF over the ending of Eyes too.

    You is NOT a thriller and it does not move quickly. It reads more like a character study of a sociopath. I loved it anyway lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Behind Her Eyes and the ending because it completely shocked me, which doesn't happen that often. I read too many thrillers so when one punches me in the face, I like it (not literally!). I was meh on You. It was by no means terrible but it didn't live up to the hype for me. My book club is reading Dark Matter this month. I haven't had a chance to start it yet but I'm super excited. I've heard so many great things about it! The Girl Before was also a great read. I knew the basic premise of The Couple Next Door (haven't read it yet) but I didn't realize the left a baby home alone. Like really alone. That's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Girl Before sounds good to me. Definitely need to check out Dark Matter, does it make sense from the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  16. After your review, I HAVE to read Behind Her Eyes. Sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the shoutout! I'm glad you liked The Girl Before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A book where parent's leave their baby at home to go to a party? Definitely not believable. Now I feel like I need to read Behind Her Eyes. Adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh man I am adding so many of these to my library list! Behind Her Eyes sounds good. I've heard so many people talking about it lately with mixed reviews on the ending! Anxious to see what the twists are!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You aren't the first person who has mentioned Dark Matter!! I am definitely adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do love mystery/thriller books. I own You and still need to read it. Sorry you were a bit in the middle on it! I DO really want to read Dark Matter too, so I'm happy to see that was a good experience for you. :) I really love the book series by M.J. Arlidge - it starts with Eeny Meeny. I recommend those!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love thrillers and have read all of these except Dark Matter and Behind Her Eyes which were already on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was kind of disappointed in Behind Her Eyes, but it definitely kept my attention. I think it being so bizarre threw me a little bit. I have Dark Matters and The Couple Next Door on my shelves to read (from Book of the Month picks) and hope to finally get to them this year. I LOVED the creepiness of You and poor Joe. I didn't know whether to be scared of him or feel sorry for him. The second point of view is what really made this one creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I seriously imagined Jason Bourne the whole time I read Dark Matter.

    ReplyDelete
  24. already added behind her eyes after I saw it on steph's linkup! I haven't decided about the couple next door yet, if I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an awesome campaign. Love it!! Checking into it more now. So many thrillers! I like them, but I don't think to read them very often. I have a ton on my shelves that I should really get to! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm super intrigued by Behind Her Eyes, I love it when books reveal bits and pieces throughout instead of all together at the end <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am not typically a thriller reader, but some of these keep popping up in the blog world so I might end up checking them out when I'm in the market for something new. I think the general consensuses loved Dark Matter. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  28. AHH I totally loved Dark Matter! Definitely one of my favorites this year!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have the audio of You to listen to after I finish the last Louise Penny book. I'm interested to see if I like it. All of the others on my list because I love creepy and thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooh I love me a good thriller! Behind Her Eyes sounds really good! I just popped over to request it from my library and I'm 99th in line, boo! lol You has been on my list for a while, and I even came across a used copy at the thrift store a few months ago, but for some reason, I chickened out, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just finished The Couple Next Door. Leaving the baby home alone didn't seem so outlandish to me, especially given the set-up of the houses and the fact that it really wasn't a "party". As the story wore on, I could easily see the husband manipulating the wife into going along with it. The detail that really bothered me, though, is that the wife brought her purse to the next-door neighbor's house. She left the baby home sleeping but brought her purse?! That made no sense to me.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top