All of the Recent Releases | carly reads here

I'm sharing a second book post this month to focus on all of the recent releases I've read recently. I'm not sure how far past the publication day a book can be to still be considered a new release, but for the purposes of this post I'm talking about books published in January to March of this year.

The majority of the time I find new releases I'd like to read from the All of the Books! podcast, and I'm always interested to see what the BOTM club choices are each month. Another thing I've learned recently is to check out the recently added tab on my library home page, because you can often get on the wait list before the release date to help cut down on month long waiting lists.



The Animators | A debut novel about two friends who meet as art students and become animators together. Both Mel and Sharon experienced trauma in their childhood and the story looks at how that shaped their life and their work. This was unexpectedly heavy and hard to read at times, but  I thought the writing was excellent even though I struggled to connect with the characters.
January 31st; contemporary fiction

Dead Letters | You know when you're reading a book and it reminds you of something else and it drives you crazy until you can figure it out? That's how I felt reading Dead Letters, until I finally realized it reminded me so much of Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver. The story is about twin sisters, Ava & Zelda. Ava gets news that Zelda is dead so she has to return home even though she's sure Zelda is still alive and just playing games. Communicating through emails, social media, and letters Zelda sends Ava on a scavenger hunt to try and find out what really happened. Without spoiling anything, this wasn't my favorite, but you might enjoy it. c/o netgalley in exchange for an honest review. 
February 21st; fiction/mystery

On Turpentine Lane | The entire time I was reading this I couldn't get over how much I was enjoying it. It's about a women who moves into a new house that has some interesting history to it. It's a little bit about her family, her love life, her job, the house-- it definitely gets a bit quirky, but it's the best light/fun/delightful book I've read in forever. Highly recommend if you want something with endearing characters and an overall cozy feel to it.
February 14th; women's fiction/romance

The Most Dangerous Place on Earth | I'm always excited when I come across YA that isn't fantasy or a love story, so this sounded really interesting. It starts off with a horrific cyber-bullying incident that occurs in middle school, then the second chapter switches over to high school and each chapter alternates between a teacher and different students and their struggles. While it was a clever format it just didn't work for me. The student's chapters each felt too drawn out and almost too stereotypical and the teacher had such poor judgement it seemed unrealistic and took away from other aspects of the story. I think it had a lot of potential, but I felt the author tried to include too many characters and too many tough topics in one book.  c/o netgalley in exchange for an honest review. 
January 10th; young adult

Pachinko
 | This wins for most aesthetic cover and at almost 500 pages it's my longest book of the year so far. Pachinko is about Koreans living in Japan and it's told over almost a 100 year span starting in 1910 and follows one family, but many characters. Historical fiction usually isn't my go-to, and I've read very little about Asian culture or history, but this was my favorite book of the year so far. The pacing and passing of time wasn't what I was expecting and felt choppy at times, but somehow it worked. While parts were devastatingly sad, it was a beautifully told story with masterful writing.
February 7th; historical fiction

Next up I'm finally going to get back into Lincoln in the Bardo. I started it on audio a few weeks ago after hearing how amazing the narration was supposed to be (166 different narrators!), only to remember that audiobooks are not my jam- I just can't pay close enough attention and I was really interested in the story and didn't want to miss anything so I switched to a physical copy.


Have you read any great new releases recently?

15 comments

  1. I have The Animators from Netgalley - I just could NOT finish it!! It wasn't working for me at all! I can only imagine how intense Lincoln in the Bardo is on audio. I just finished Exit West - loved it!! Fantastic writing and interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Turpentine Lane sounds really good!
    And Pachinko, Maybe... I don't' read much that it set in Asia but that's probably a reason that I SHOULD read it!
    I'm currently reading (& enjoying) All Our Wrong Todays which I think is pretty recent.
    I agree that with audio books I can't pay close enough attention. I have to be super focused all the time to follow what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the most dangerous place on earth sounds interesting. i agree on your comment about YA novels - hard to find a good one. good recaps chica!

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to download Turpentine Lane for our next trip, so glad you enjoyed it <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  5. most dangerous place is on my TBR list and on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a bummer that The Most Dangerous Place On Earth wasn't really that great. It sounds like a book that would be really interesting to read. The Animators also sounds really good, and I think that's a sign of a good book when you like the book even if you didn't really connect with the characters all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to try On Turpentine Lane! Sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of any of these. I am always behind on new releases unless it was something I got on Netgalley lol. Turpentine Lane sounds really interesting, I am adding that one for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Most Dangerous Place on Earth on my (massive) NetGalley list, so I'm bummed it wasn't a big love for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding on Turpentine Lane to my list for sure!! Sounds so good - thanks for sharing all these reads!! My favorite posts! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely adding On Turpentine Lane to my list, it sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i had the animators on my list but i just couldn't get into it, so i gave up. barely even considered a dnf because i didn't really read more than a page. On Turpentine Lane sounds adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. On Turpentine Lane sounds great - adding that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always looking for new releases! This was a great post. Dead Letters sounds weird and interesting, and The Animators sounds like something I would read. I just read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman which just came out! Another new release I adored was Difficult Women by Roxane Gay.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top