Carly Reads Here | February 2017

Despite all my reading last month, this post is a little light because I did an end of the month review post in January and a standalone book review last week. I've been in a weird phase where just about everything feels very average and I can't figure out what I'm in the mood to read.

The Hating Game | While I'm definitely in the minority of not loving this book, I could not put it down! It's about two co-workers who act like they hate each other, but they obviously really like each other and end up going against each other for the same promotion. Parts were really funny and smart while other parts left me bored. The author constantly described Lucy and Joshua in terms of their appearance and it was incredibly too much for me. There was one part where he literally says all he's thought about since the day they met is how tiny she is... and another part where he admits that he keeps a daily tally of when she wears a skirt or a dress. I think it was supposed to be endearing, but it read as off-putting to me. Nonetheless, this was a book that kept me glancing between the time on my iPad and how much left I had to read,  trying to decide if I could finish it all in one night. Sometimes that's just the kind of book you need to read. 3ish stars.

The Underground Railroad | I've never read anything by Colson Whitehead, but this was the National Book Award winner from 2016, and I meant to read it last year but never got around to it. The story is based on Cora, a slave who escapes using the underground railroad, though in this book it's an actual railroad underground. Reading slave narratives are never pleasant or easy to read, but the story was beautifully written and engaging. I wasn't crazy about the flow or transition between chapters, though things came together throughout the chapters and I'm guessing that's Whitehead's writing style, which makes me curious to read something else by him. Worth the read, and would recommend at 4 stars.

Truly Madly Deeply | I couldn't find anything I was in the mood to read and saw this was available on the library homepage so I figured I would give it a try even though I'm not a LM superfan, and had heard this wasn't a favorite among most people who typically love her books.

Right away it reminded me of the same formula of Big Little Lies, where you know something bad happened, but you're not quite sure what it was, and the characters are all meant to be relatable yet you can't relate to any of them. At first I was anxious to find out what happened, but the more I read it felt like the book was getting longer and longer and more and more dull. Once you finally find out what happened on the day of the barbecue, I didn't even care. and I thought it was all kind of silly and at least 100 pages too long. This probably should have been a DNF for me, but I finished it and gave it 2.5 stars.

Young Wives Club | Today is pub day for Julie Pennell, and thank you to Netgalley for providing a copy to me in exchange for an honest review. The story is about four friends from high school who end up back together in their hometown, so it kind of gave me PLL season 6 vibes combined with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, plus Hart of Dixie because it's in the south... while it's considered women's lit, it definitely read more as YA to me. I found a few of the storylines to be far-fetched and I wish it would have focused more on their friendship and less on their relationships. It was enjoyable and an easy read that might be for you if you're in the mood for something chick lit/YA. 2.5 stars.

If I can stay on top of my library holds this should be a really good reading month for me because (as it goes) all of my library books became available at once and I have some really promising new releases currently on my hold list. What have you read lately? Stop by the Show Us Your Books linkup for more book reviews and recommendations.

25 comments

  1. The Hating Game looks cute. Sometimes I want to read more serious books and sometimes I just want something cute and light. Just put on hold at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate being in moods like that... it usually happens when I read too many of the same genres. maybe try something totally different?? you had a great reading month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm the young wives club sounds cute, maybe i'll save it for a beachy type read. definitely sounds like you're in a bit of a funk :( do you have a go-to kind of book? when i'm in that kind of funk and i have no idea what to read, i go to a tried and true genre - normally fantasy romance, lets be real, because i always know what to expect and that i will enjoy it. or a p&p variation. but if i try and read something i'm not sure i'm even feeling like, 9 times out of 10 i will hate it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't a huge fan of Truly Madly Guilty either. It dragged on forever. I'm with you on not really loving anything I've read lately either, I don't know what my deal is! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your recs! I'm not a huge LM fan either, so I will skip that book. I'm still waiting on The Hating Game from the library!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read one Moriarty book I think, Big Little Lies. I liked it a lot but haven't been in a hurry to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way about Moriarty. She's fine but not excellent. Although I am excited for the HBO adaptation of Big Little Lies.

    I LOVED The Underground Railroad. Definitely worth all the accolades it got last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying to do Truly Madly Guilty but have that on audiobook & the accent is driving me INSANE> The way she says Bar-B-Que ... it makes me want to punch myself ... its horrible. I want to get through it though to see what happens. I think I need to just get the book & do it myself - but now, I'm always going to hear that HORRID voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The way you described the way he thinks of her looks and counts her skirts and stuff would be off putting to me in The Hating Games as well and I am just going to skip it. I hate getting annoyed by little things like that which are totally distracting for me. Truly Madly Guilty was my least favorite of Moriarty's books so it doesn't surprise me you felt this way about it either. Meh. And why did you have to say Hart of Dixie and PLL in Young Wives Club because now I kind of want to read it yet you gave it a low score. Hmmmmm should I??

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Hating Game sounded cute until you mentioned the daily tally of what she wore. That would drive me nuts. Reading funks are the worst. Been there, done that when it comes to having all your holds come in at once. It's both a thrill to have so many (hopefully) great books at your fingertips and a little scary trying to figure out how to get them all read before their due date. Good luck and here's to better reading this month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, after reading your reviews, I'm convinced we have similar reading preferences! That just excites me more than it should. I also did not like The Hating Game. I feel like I'm the only one. And I'm always like questioning the intelligence of anyone who did like it! haha. And I also read The Underground Railroad and was more impressed in Colson Whitehead as an author than the story itself. Although, I did like the book as well. He was just brilliant in my opinion. I will definitely be reading more from him this year. (Stopping by from the linkup).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to read The Underground Railroad! So many people have talked about The Hating Game. For a while I didn't put it on my list because it just didn't sound like something I'd like, but I started seeing more and more positive reviews so I added it. But I'm in no hurry to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt the same exact way about Truly Madly Guilty. It just felt so drawn out, and I just found all of the characters annoying, which usually doesn't happen to me in Moriarty books. Oh well, hopefully her next one will be better! The Underground Railroad sounds really interesting! I'll definitely have to pick that one up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard great things about The Underground Railroad, it's definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have The Underground Railroad on my TBR list. I've never tried a LM book, but I think Big Little Lies looks interesting (as does the HBO show). If I watch the show I'll have to read the book first. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I have the same exact thoughts as you about Truly Madly Guilty....I had to keep reading to find out what happened at the BBQ and then was like, really?!! I'm currently reading The Hating Game and agree that I'm not that into it but have to keep reading to see how it ends!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the Underground Railroad on my TBR. Glad to hear you thought it was a good read! :) I had a hard month of trying to figure out what I was in the mood for, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Underground Railroad should be coming up on my library holds soon. I'm excited. I just have to keep getting through the ones i have on my nightstand :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, I'm glad I didn't pick up Truly Madly Deeply now because from this review, I don't think I'd like it. I've only read one book by LM and it was good but not... great? (though I'm really looking forward to the HBO show).
    I should pick up Underground Railroad though - thanks for the recommendation! :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've read 2 Moriarty books, and I intend to read another, but I'm not in a rush.
    I intend to read the Underground Railroad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't wait to finish this book I'm reading so I can read more this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been wanting to read The Underground Railroad for so long but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I'm glad you liked it. I'm on a huge reading kick lately and I have a huge stack of library books to get through so hopefully I can finish them before I have to return them. I hate when they all come in at the same time but it's a good challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I will have to check out the Hating Game. Truly Madly Guilty just bored the pants of me and I didn't finish it. Cheers to you for powering through!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't get the decisions made in The Underground Railroad. Why make it a literal thing that didn't exist to go along with horrors that did? So many people dislike Truly Madly Guilty. I think I'll let it go, since Moriarty seems to really love the three characters/big reveal formula and it has gotten stale. But, I am going to watch Big Little Lies on HBO tonight sooooo...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top