Read My Shelves | pt I

The idea for this post came to me the day after New Years, as we were in the midst of attempting to rearrange our oversized furniture in our living room. I got slightly distracted rearranging the bookshelf and thought, I really need to prioritize reading some of these books. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but the physical books I own definitely get neglected-- or more easily shoved further back on my TBR list. My library books always take priority, and then e-books in general are just more convenient to read most of the time.

I decided to pick 6 books to read in the first six months of this year. I tried to pick a variety, but they were obviously picked based on my mood at the time. I'm sure I might switch up one or two, but I really want to read 6 books from my physical bookshelf. I didn't realize it until writing this post, but I picked 3 fiction and 3 non-fiction.

Bird By Bird | This book is almost always recommended for a wonderful book on writing. It's subtitled instructions on writing & life, both of which I think I can use in 2017.
Love's Executioner | Yalom shares ten stories of psychotherapy-- I've wanted to read this since 2013 when my professor in a course on clinical work with children recommended it-- he was one of my favorite profs ever.
Unfair | This is from Blogging For Books, and I kind of started it last year (and really liked the chapter or two that I read), but never really committed to reading it. I'm planning to use this for one of the categories in this book challenge, for a book that addresses current events.
Shotgun Lovesongs | I've wanted to read this book since I saw it on a best of list when it came out in 2014, but the library didn't have it as an option, so I finally picked it up over the summer at a used bookstore. I've seen a few people (alyssa) rave about how much they love it, so I'm really excited to finally dig into it.
Middlesex | This is another one that had been on my TBR list forever (2012), so I finally picked up a copy at a used bookstore and have been starring at it on my bookshelf ever since. I'm not super familiar with the synopsis but I have a feeling I'm really going to like it.
Go Set a Watchman | My dad loaned me this after reading it when it came out in 2015. I think this one has been avoided more because of the weird pressure to follow up To Kill a Mockingbird, and in general I'm very leery about reading sequels, or even second books by an author I love because I'm worried they won't live up to my expectations.

Do you hoard books, or do you read them as you buy them?

24 comments

  1. Definitely a great idea to read books that you have physical copies of that you haven't read yet!! Believe it or not, I actually got rid of all my books - either selling or donating because after I read them I wasn't sure what to do with them anymore, mostly because I don't read something more than once LOL!! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these books, especially Shotgun Lovesongs! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Bird by Bird before, just many many years ago. I finally bought a copy of my own last year (it was a special occasion--went to an indie bookstore, it was a big deal to me. I don't know why). I was about a quarter the way through it when my dog ate it. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Shotgun Lovesongs and really, really enjoyed it. It was the kind of book that I finished and wished I hadn't read so that I could do it all over again. And I haven't read it in many years, but Middlesex is one of my favorite books! We got rid of all of our books a couple years ago - they were just getting too heavy to keep moving! I think the only ones we still have are a coffee table book about impressionist art and my copy of the Oxford Latin dictionary (which was too expensive to get rid of). I'm obviously not a person who has an attachment to books, but I appreciate people who do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you hit the nail on the head. the books i own get neglected because i go crazy at the library and i think 'i'll grab one of the ones i own when my library pile is low..' which hasn't happened yet. and then i have library ebooks and ebooks i've bought and basically i have a million books and not enough time.
    i have a goal to read 2 books a month that i already owned. last year i was all like yeah i'll read my books (for erin's challenge) and i bought a bunch of books the month before, so all of my older ones were still neglected haha. i'm trying very hard not to buy books this year.. well, okay, this month at least, so i can focus on older ones.
    i really liked shotgun lovesongs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have SO MANNNNNYYYY books - on my shelf & on my Kindle - that I buy & then dont read. The list is so long. I could probably read all year long & not buy one book. but what kind of life is that? ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pretty much buy a book and then read it, there's really only a few I have on my shelf I haven't read.



    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you're challenging yourself to read your books this year! I'm really guilty of doing the exact same thing, buying books and then having them sit on my shelf for forever before I actually read them! Maybe I should join in this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love this post! I'm a avid read so I love to get recommendations. Also, I'm in a book club and need to choose a book soon. I have a whole room full of books. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally feel ya - I have a ton of books on my shelf (and kindle) that have been sitting there for ages and are just waiting to be read! Go Set a Watchman was a good read, albeit disappointing...if that makes sense? I can't wait for you to read it though!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Set a Watchman has been on my reading list forever - I'm making it a point to read it this year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. let me know what you think of Middlesex...i've been trying to read this book for over TEN YEARS but i keep picking it up and putting it down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you enjoy Shotgun Lovesongs! Middlesex has been sitting on my shelf for too long too; hoping I can get to it FINALLY this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great idea! Even though I lost all of my books in our move last year, I pretty quickly built my bookshelf back up and now I have so many books on it that I haven't read. Middlesex is one book that was on my old bookshelf and somehow is also on my new shelf, but I've never read it. I am definitely a book hoarder. If I come up on a great used book sale I can't resist and I love to pre-order books from my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interested to hear how this goes for you! I think that I have less than 10 books I own that I haven't read yet on my shelf but I definitely have more in e-book format (netgalley, kindle deals, etc!). Need to get to them sometime! Bird by Bird sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm such a hoarder of books, and now that I'm really trying to downsize it's hard deciding what to get rid of and what to keep. I definitely want to do this with the books I have neglected!! I would totally get sidetracked, too lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's an awesome idea! I definitely don't read books as I buy them because I always have so many library and Net Galley books that I'm trying to get through before anything else. I wanted to read Go Set A Watchman but I was afraid that it wouldn't be as good as To Kill A Mocking Bird so I decided to stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm trying to make an effort to read more of the unread books I own too. I have over 100!! (Eep!). I'll be interested to hear what you think of Go Set a Watchman...I read it for a book club last year but wasn't a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find that ebooks always take priority for me too. They are just so much more convenient even though I prefer the real thing. I have several actual books that have been sadly waiting to be read for far too long!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my resolutions is to read a book a month, and you've totally given me so many great options. Thanks so much for these!

    Danielle | FollowMyGut.com <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have WAY too many books on my bookshelf that I want to read, but haven't gotten around to it. I need more time to read!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a slight hoarding problem. Oops. I really enjoyed Shotgun Lovesongs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great idea - I totally need to do it myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top