Current Hair Routine

I'll start this post off with a full disclosure: I very rarely do my hair-- it's pretty much always in a braid or a bun, I haven't had a professional haircut since January 2014, and my hair type is super straight and fine (the photo above is from April with the Conair You Curl XL & a little hairspray probably). I had big plans to take some recent pictures of my hair, but it hasn't really left a bun in days so... Anyway, the real reason for this post is because I've been using a few newish products that I wanted to share and my normal routine does switch up a bit in the wintertime.

Outside of winter I dry my hair maybe once every 1-2 months-- normally I'm all about the air dry! In winter I don't have that luxury because most of the time it's too cold to go to bed (or go anywhere) with wet hair. Before using my hair dryer, I spray the Bumble & Bumble Invisible Oil Primer as a heat protectant. I usually dry my hair about 50% and then use half a pump of the Verb Ghost Oil that I picked up during the VIB sale in the fall. I had originally planned on purchasing the B&B Invisible Oil, but this caught my eye instead. I liked the philosophy behind the brand and it was a much better price point $14 for 2oz. 

The first time I used it I used a full pump (it suggests using 2-3), and it was waaay too much so I'm always very careful to only use half a pump, halfway through my blow dry. For some reason I don't like it as much when I use it on completely wet hair, though it can be used for a heat protectant. This makes my hair so incredibly soft and smooth. Once it's dry I'll sometimes add a tiny bit more throughout my hair and it really does help encourage me to style my hair (aka wear it down or something).

My current shampoos of choice are Biolage and Redken, though I'd love to throw a drugstore option into the mix, so let me know your favorite. I've been using the Living Proof No Frizz conditioner and always have my HG Fekkai Glossing conditioner on hand too. I meant to purchase the PHD conditioner, but got the No Frizz instead and have been pretty happy with it.  

Like everything else if you live in a cold climate, my hair gets super dry in the winter. I've mentioned coconut oil before, but I get into a routine of applying it to my ends (and then using whatever is leftover on my hands through the rest of my hair) about twice a week on nights when I know I'll wash my hair the following day.

Does your hair suffer in the wintertime? What are some of your must-have hair care products or tools? 

24 comments

  1. First of all your hair is gorgeous!! I'm with you and don't really blow dry my hair unless it's winter time and I'm going out - I'm all about the air dry as well! I'm using L'Oreal's shampoo and conditioner right now and love it!! I alternate all the drugstore ones but I really want to try Biolage!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you haven't had your hair professionally done since 2014, that is crazy! Your hair is so gorgeous too, I wish mine looked like that! I rarely blow dry my hair too but my hair is so thin and fine that no matter how I wear it in my sleep I have to style it the next morning because it's a wreck! Thanks for sharing your fav products! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, we all want to know how to get CARLY HAIR!! :) It's absolutely gorgeous! Every now and then I try and air dry my hair but it looks so horrible and it also gets greasy a lot quicker (and we all know I'm about not washing my hair!). Wish I could do it more though because my hair is looking super dry and damaged, and I know using so much heat on it isn't helping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hair is up in a bun 90% of the time too! lol you understand what it is like to have so much hair, doing it is an undertaking ;) I think I am at almost a year since my most recent hair cut - and that was just a trim to get rid of split ends haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not thought about using coconut oil on my ends - that's kinda genius.
    My hair right now is just so dry, its horrible. Winter sucks the life out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued by a couple of these products! For a drugstore shampoo, Pantene is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I've been super dry everywhere this winter, and I know that it's because of the crazy weather! I've used both the No Frizz Conditioner and the normal PH Conditioner from Living Proof, and I think that the No Frizz is so much better! I think that my hair just looks and feels better afterwards. By the way your hair looks so beautiful in that picture! I wish that I could grow my hair out long, but half the time I just get too frustrated with it and chop it off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i slap mine back in a ponytail errday! i use natural shampoo and conditioner and they work really well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been looking for some new products to use on my curly hair! I love the idea of using coconut oil on the ends. I'm definitely going to try it and the Verb Ghost Oil. My hair gets so dry and the ends are constantly splitting. You have gorgeous hair and thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm insanely jealous you haven't had it professionally cut in years! I need to try that Verb Ghost Oil! <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't even use the blow dryer in the winter. All air dry, all the time. The only time a blowdryer hits my hair is when I go to the hair salon.

    I love love love LUSH shampoos and conditioners. I switched to them a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I blow dry my hair like twice a year, haha! My hair is always so limp I struggle to find products I like. But let's just be honest, the only product I use is dry shampoo...so that could be part of my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hair is gorgeous, i need it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have some gorgeous locks especially for not having it done professionally for year. Funny enough my hair is silky smooth in the winter, it's humid Summers that bring on the worst for me as in lots of frizz. A good blowdryer is always essentials and you have me intrigued to try out Verb Ghost Oil for my frizzies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have the prettiest hair! I have been meaning to tell you a few times after watching your snaps. My hair definitely suffers in the winter. I need to get a heat protectant spray because I blow-dry it a few times a week these days!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh you have such beautiful hair! If only my hair was so luscious. I use random stuff on my hair all the time, right now Acure shampoo and Trader Joe's conditioner that I can't seem to use up. Because my hair is so thin I can't use very heavy products in it but I like putting Living Proof Satin Hair Serum on the ends but I can't tell if it makes a difference. I also never blowdry my hair, because I'm lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. great roundup! i don't have that winter dryness problem but rather just a shitty water problem. i actually posted today about the marula oil i use on the ends that gives my hair life. i have super fine hair and it's nice and light. and i'm a dry shampoo addict. volume baby! haha. your hair is gorg girl!

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW you haven't had your hair professionally done in 3 years?? Your hair is gorgeous! I am definitely adding all these products on my to-research-and-then-buy list! :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  19. My hair is super this as well. I love Bumble and Bumble, Living Proof and Biolage and use them all regularly as well. My favorite drug store shampoo are the Garnier Wholesome line! I love the honey one and the cranberry one (for color.) the honey one smells amazing and is great for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have fine and straight hair too but if I let it air dry it looks horrible! It's so limp and it gets greasy so quickly. I usually blow dry with a round brush and then curl it the next day. This buys me a few days of not having to wash my hair. I have to be very careful with product as it weighs my hair down. Argh, I wish I could just wash and go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My hair gets dry in the winter, lots of frizz! I do switch up my routine from time to time. I wash it once a week unless there's a lot of styling product in it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Redken is my faaaaavorite shampoo. I always try to throw something else into the rotation and I'm always disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have gorgeous hair! I try to blow out my hair as little as possible, especially in the winter time. I love all the products you use, I'm a huge fan of Bumble and Living Proof products! -Dara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top