Carly Reads Here | end of the month edition

Everything We Keep | This was a Kindle Unlimited book that caught my eye and was already on my tbr shelf after reading Olya's review. I read this in less than 24 hours because it was so addicting. The author did a really good job setting up the characters and storyline in part 1, and then really kicked up the suspense element in part 2. I had a MAJOR problem with the plot though, and I don't want to give anything away, but the little side story romance was soooo unrealistic and ridiculous to me and didn't fit in at all with the main theme of the suspense/thriller.
All The Breaking Waves | I liked Everything We Keep enough that I wanted to read another book by Lonsdale while it was free with Unlimited. I made an assumption that it was going to be the same type of a book (thriller/suspense) only to find out it was more general women's lit with magical realism. I was skeptical at first, I don't think I've ever read any adult fiction that was fantasy, and this reminded me of Hope Floats and Good Witch in a weird way.

I gave both of the books 3 stars on Goodreads, but I definitely liked Everything We Keep a lot more. It was more 3.5 stars and All The Breaking Waves was more like 2.5.

Adulthood is a Myth | I originally got this to take to Miami but in the end decided against it because it's a comic and I ended up reading it all in one sitting right when I got it. It ended up being a good thing because I didn't want it to get bent or anything weird because it's a book I'm so happy to have in my collection. I love Sarah Anderson's illustrations and humor and you'll especially enjoy it if you're an introvert.
Summer Rental | I wanted a paperback beach read for our trip to Miami and despite never reading any Mary Kay Andrews, this had been on my tbr list since 2014. I got this used for around $4 and it was fine to read at the pool, but I really didn't care for it. I found a lot of the descriptions awkward and the characters kind of boring and predictable.
The Shadow of the Wind | I am totally kicking myself for waiting until the end of my library loan to start this one. I don't think I was in the right mood and I had to rush through most of it, when I think it probably would have been better enjoyed at a slower pace. It's a story about a boy in Barcelona who discovers a book with an interesting past and author. Daniel wants to find out more and it starts off innocently enough until there are many dark twists and turns and mysteries revealed alongside his own journey of self discovery. The writing was beautiful, the dialogue was smart and engaging, and the storyline was intriguing, but I found it hard to follow at times. I think it might have been to do with the timing of when I read it though. Regardless, I think there's something enchanting about reading a book about books.

Thanks to the Beyond Words book club for choosing this book to read and review this month. Next month we're reading A Man Called Ove and you can always linkup your book related posts on the last Friday of the month!

17 comments

  1. The Shadow of the Wind is on my TBR, but I know what you mean about sometimes just not being the right book at the right time. I'm going through that with 2 books right now and I keep putting them off to read something else. Bummer that your beach read wasn't the best!! I have A Man Called Ove on Audible (I heard it was awesome on audio) - so I'm hoping to get to that one next month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of any of these! Slacker over here, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was up on my reading game. That Adulthood is a Myth sounds like it would be really funny! Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to check out the whole Kindle Unlimited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wasn't Shadow such a great book? i picked it up years ago on a whim and was completely blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything We Keep is on my TBR. I like the title of Adulthood is a Myth, makes me laugh. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your trip looked amazing, glad you soaked up all the sunshine! Adulthood is a Myth sounds like a great read for our upcoming trip. I love fun books like that! Happy Friday gurlie <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read The Shadow of the Wind years ago when it first came out and loved it - I think I read it twice. It was one of my favorite books at that time. But now - 10 years later! - I'm pretty sure if I re-read it I wouldn't love it the same way. I guess I'm different, or the books I like now are different - I was definitely more into the dark mysterious tragic theme back then.
    Adulthood looks funny! As an introvert I'm sure I'd relate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really do have to be in the mood to read whatever book you are reading. I kind of felt like I was rushing through The Shadow of the Wind too, even though I read it a while ago. It just took me so long to read and by the end I wanted to be done with it, even though I liked it a lot, if that makes sense, because I had my eye on reading other books that I had gotten for Christmas! I guess I had an expectation for how the book would be and it was a lot darker than I thought, but I loved all the twists and turns. I do love books about books.

    I Follow Sarah's Scribbles on Facebook and I love her. I want to read that book now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything We Keep is on my list! i'm intrigued by the little side romance.. not that i have any idea what the plot is about lol.
    all the breaking waves sounds like my kind of book hahaha.
    The Shadow of the Wind is on my bookshelf at home, i need to get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm excited to read Everything We Keep! Somehow I've accumulated SO MANY owned books in the past few weeks so I don't know when I'll get to it, but I will! I think I need to order Adulthood is a Myth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Sarah Anderson! Her comics are so relatable and funny!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of any of these books so I'm happy to hear your reviews of them! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up! I've heard the sequel to "The Shadow of the Wind" is even better than the first. I loved it, but maybe you'll like the second better if you're in the right mood!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always love your book recs! I hadn't heard of any of these books, but I'll definitely be adding a couple to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Shadow Of The Wind is definitely a book that you need some time to read. I know that it was the reason that I didn't read as much during December, but I still really loved it. I keep on hearing about Everything We Keep, so I'll definitely have to add that one to my list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to have to check out the Adulthood book. I've been on the waiting list for A Man Called Ove for months now. I'm hoping to get it before the end of the month :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top