Carly Reads Here | december

Happy Wednesday! I can't believe we're already just a few days away from Christmas. It looks like December is going to bring 3 weeks of book posts and what better way to end the year? Last week I shared the Christmas books I read, next week I'll be sharing my favorite books of 2016, and today's post contains the rest of the books I've read between now and the November book linkup.


Harry Potter & the Cursed Child | Aside from knowing this was a play about Harry Potter I really had zero idea of the synopsis before I started reading. Basically it's about one of Harry's sons who feels like he doesn't fit in, he's BFFs with Draco's son, and time turners are involved. I really enjoyed the play format, and thought it was a fun fast-paced story, that allows you to very briefly revisit some of your favorite characters from the original series, but I did find it slightly too mushy at times. I think it's worth reading if you're a HP fan, it made me eager to reread the series, but it's not something I'll probably ever reread & it was quickly forgotten.

The Rose & The Dagger | This is the second book in the two-part series by Renee Ahdieh and I was really kicking myself for not reading it directly after finishing the first book. I couldn't remember how the first book ended and I had a hard time keeping straight a few of the minor characters which left me a little bit frustrated with the first bits of this book. After I got further into the story things started to click and I remembered why I loved the first book so much. This book had more of an adventure/action feel over romance, but it still pulled at my heartstrings a couple of times. This story involved questioning loyalty, a magic carpet, and a couple of love stories, all while trying to break a curse and keep a kingdom safe. Highly recommend if you like YA fantasy.

Wrecked | This is a YA novel about a girl who comes home after a college party and tells her roommate she was raped. The following day her attacker casually tells his housemate that he hooked up with a girl. The story is told from the point of view of the girl's roommate and the attacker's housemate (who conveniently end up dating), both who weren't present the night of the incident. I had a lot of mixed feelings about this book, it's likely reading it will make you angry and sad, and there were a lot of layers to the story, but I found it to take away from the importance of the subject at times. I'll avoid spoilers, but there was a lot of time wasted on details that were not relevant to the overall story. I did think the author did an outstanding job examining rape culture at a university and starting a conversation. Thank you Netgalley for providing this book in exchange for an honest review. 

19 comments

  1. Wrecked sounds really good - I can see how it would be an emotional read!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those all sound interesting. I'm an HP fan but still haven't read The Cursed Child. I stink. I want to buy a copy instead of borrowing it though and am too cheap to do it yet. The other two also sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. Wrecked sounds really intense but good! Sometimes I love those emotional reads that get you really invested! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wrecked sounds amazing. I literally got chills reading the synopsis. It's definitely something I will have to pick up.

    And I have to agree with you about The Cursed Child. It was exciting to read because I love Harry Potter so much, but I wasn't happy with the outcome of the story, and probably won't read again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might add Wrecked to my reading list, sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read the HP play, but I'm hoping that I'll actually be able to read it soon! Since it's such a quick read, I could probably read it in one sitting. Wrecked sounds really interesting, and like a tough book too. I'm definitely adding that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently finished the HP book too, and loved reading about the kids as adults with their families even though the focus was mainly on Harry's son. And being bff's with Draco's kid was the best part <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about the HP play - It was a fun revisit and also made me want to reread the original series, but I didn't love and probably won't reread. I think my favorite character was Draco's son.
    I know we're on the same page with The Rose & the Dagger. I did really like but just not as much as the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the HP book - probably my fav of the year - I think more for sentimental reasons.
    Wrecked sounds very intriguing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Cursed Child because of nostalgia and all that, but it made me appreciate JK Rowling's descriptive writing in the HP books so much more! Can you imagine how different the series would be with only dialogue? I added Wrecked to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wrecked sounds very interesting. I may have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Minus HP, I've not heard of the others! Holidays are when I get my reading done, so I'm happy to see some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Until I read your synopsis I had no idea what Cursed Child was about either, other than Harry's son. I am in the middle of a series re-read right now (on Order of the Phoenix currently) and I hope to reach for Cursed Child soon after I finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am working on choosing some of my top books from my 2016 reads too. I am still reading to chase my goal of 100 books this year so my post will come towards the end of next week. I look forward to reading your list too.
    http://runwright.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. I felt the same way about that Harry Potter book. The characters didn't seem like themselves but it was nice to dive back into that world again. I'm sure the play was probably amazing but it just didn't translate well into a book format.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have made me excited to read The Rose and The Dagger - hopefully I can remember all the details as it has been a few books in between. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i still haven't read the new HP, i'm not sure if i will... i don't know why lol. i am so glad you ended up liking the rose and the dagger! i really try and read books right after each other because my memory SUCKS. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have the new HP but haven't read it yet. Wrecked sounds like an interesting plot but based on your review maybe it wasn't carried out the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top