Books to Bring Christmas Cheer

One of my favorite things about the holiday season is curling up with a mug of hot chocolate piled high with whipped cream and watching cheesy Christmas movies-- Snow Bride is my favorite! Christmas books aren't something that come to mind as quickly, so I made it a mission to try and come across some equally cheesy heartwarming Christmas stories. I had big plans for this post a few months back, but I definitely hit a wall with reading these past few weeks combined with a few I just didn't like enough to finish. I'm linking up for Show Us Your Books.

All I want for Christmas | A woman is expecting to inherit her grandmother's farm only to find out that half of it has been willed to a boy she grew up with when she was little but hasn't seen in years. This was every kind of cheesy and predictable, but so enjoyable. I read another Jenny Hale Christmas story last year and wasn't that crazy about it, but I found this to be the perfect mix of friendship and romance with the perfect holiday backdrop. I was sent this book from Netgalley for review, opinions remain my own. 

Twelve Days of Christmas | A woman tries to kill her scrooge-like neighbor with kindness as part of a 12 day challenge she documents on her blog. I've never read anything by Debbie Macomber, but after requesting this from Netgalley I realized she's quite well known for her Christmas novels, and I've seen a few pop up as made for TV movies on the Hallmark channel. The blog element was fun in this one, but I thought the main character was really annoying, which took away from some of the enjoyment. I was sent this book from Netgalley for review, opinions remain my own. 

Winter Stroll | Funny story with this one...I thought this was the first book in the three part series, but was talking with Heather on instagram and she mentioned she was reading the first book (Winter Street) and I was like wait, what?? Winter Stroll is definitely the second book, which explains why I was so overwhelmed/confused when I started reading this- I thought it was just because I was doing cardio at the gym and probably not paying attention as much as I should have been.

Taking all of that into consideration, and removing my confusion, I still enjoyed this for a holiday themed book, though I think there was a little too much going on, and one too many characters. It definitely makes you feel like Nantucket is one of those perfect little Christmas towns with fun events. I would highly recommend starting with the first book though.


The Mistletoe series by Richard Paul Evans is on my radar for next year, along with My True Love Gave to Me (read Lindsay's review). Do you have any favorite holiday books?

27 comments

  1. I started Winter Stroll this morning and I can totally see how the characters would be confusing without having read the first one! I totally wasn't paying attention to the order either though and just got lucky that Winter Street came from the library first (probably because it's older? haha). Glad you enjoyed your other holiday reads! Will you move on to the 3rd Winter book or go back? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm now craving hot cocoa with extra whipped cream! All I Want for Christmas sounds like the perfect cozy read <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound like cute holiday reads, perfect alternatives to all the holiday movies right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot Chocolate, a cozy blanket and a great Christmas movie is the best around this time of year! I wish I had more time to read because I'm sure I'm missing out on some of these great books. Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope you like my true love gave to me - i read it last year i think and i adored some of the stories (and hated some of them, which is why i hate short story collections).
    i'm not super into holiday themed books, though to be fair, i don't think i have ever actually read any, so... .lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so angry at myself when I screw up a series. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cant believe I dont have a Richard Paul Evans book - he's usually my go-to christmas read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Winter Stroll! I don't how you could have read it without reading the first one though, it can definitely be confusing! I'm starting the third shortly and am excited to see how this trilogy wraps up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Because it is like I'm 2 years old, I still watch the classic Christmas cartoons to get my holiday fix. :) I have not read any holiday themed books, but am considering revising my decision. I have lots of layover/flight time on the horizon and a nice Christmas book might be in order!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to try the winter series by Elin Hildebrand. I'll try to remember to start with the first book! I'd better get going on it before it's not winter anymore... Knowing me I'll probably read them in June. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer that you started reading the second book in the Winter series instead of the first one. I've heard so many great things about Elin Hilderbrand, but I haven't had the chance to pick up one of her books. It's good to know that she has a winter series so I don't have to read a beachy book during the middle of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't finish the 12 Days of Christmas - the main character just annoyed me too much. Maybe now that I'm in a better mood I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see that-- she drove me crazy too! Instead of most of her attempts coming across as cute, they seemed really obnoxious & I probably would have been annoyed if I was on the receiving end of them.

      Delete
  13. Everyone is talking about 12 Days of Christmas! My mom just read it and loved it. As soon as I get home to NY I'm going to borrow it from her. I just read A Christmas Carol for the first time to get myself into the Christmas spirit and it definitely worked. What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 12 Days of Christmas looks great! Adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read Twelve Days of Christmas and wasn't a big fan. I've read some of Macomber's other Christmas books and have enjoyed them more. I like her other non-Christmas book series as well (Blossom Street and Cedar Cove).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't typically do Christmas stories BUT I remember reading a 3-in-one book with 3 Christmas/romance/kitten stories that were absolutely adorable. Christmas Kittens, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can totally see why you found Julia annoying in the Twelve Days of Christmas! She was really obnoxious at times.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love seeing books with bloggers, but sorry the MC was a bit too annoying in the Macomber novel. I haven't read anything by her, but I might have to try! I like a good holiday read sometimes. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  19. So while I thought Twelve Days of Christmas was adorable, I can see why you found her irritating. :) I will have to make sure I start with the right Elin book when I start the series!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The title alone for 12 days of Christmas reminds me of a hallmark movie which I love LOL! Kind of funny story about Winter Stroll - I start with the first one and work my way to this one! xo, Biana

    ReplyDelete
  21. These all sound really good! I laughed when you talked about confusing Winter Stroll because it sounds exactly like something I would do haha!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  22. Still laughing about your Winter series mixup ;) That series is the first real Christmassy books I've ever read and I quite enjoyed them. Definitely made me want to go to Nantucket one day during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I definitely missed the memo about the Christmas book mandate this month. Although I probably would have ignored it anyway. I don't read books "in season".

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love to read Christmas themed books during December. However, this year I just lost my footing. I have only read 1 or 2 Christmas books this month. I usually find myself enjoying lesser known authors, like Heather Horrocks and Holly Tierney-Bedford, for light short reads. I love reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't read any christmas books, but I do love christmas movies! lifetime or hallmark ones are my guilty pleasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all the Christmas recommendations! I just downloaded A Christmas Carol, Jane and the 12 Days of Christmas, Light on Snow and A Week in Winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top