Wrapping Up the Summer Months

I'll start this post by being honest and saying I kind of feel like saying good riddance to August. I really do try and appreciate and practice gratefulness for every day and season, but this summer was hothard and I don't think I've ever been more excited for fall. September is here now, which means we're basically into the holiday season and I can't wait until October 1st so I can watch Hocus Pocus approximately 25x before November hits and I switch to terribly cheesy Christmas movies.

At the same time I feel like it was just May and I was so excited when Megan listed the categories for the summer book challenge. I couldn't wait until it was June to start reading the books on my list. I didn't finish the challenge, but I definitely made a good effort, especially since I was working primarily with library books. I think book challenges can be tricky because you never want to read a book that you won't enjoy, or something that doesn't interest you, but it's also so important to expand your horizons and consider new genres or categories.

Aside from the category on a microhistory (I never picked a book), I was able to find a book that I wanted to read to fit in each category. I didn't get to Big Stone Gap, but it's the perfect example of a book I probably would have never discovered without this challenge. When I first saw the Appalachia category, I admittedly had zero interest in it, but I've loved some of Trigiani's other books & after mentioning Big Stone Gap in my initial post a few people commented about how much they love the book/series.

I'm not going to list out the categories or books in this post because I've already reviews the ones I finished, but you can see my final list & point total here. While this challenge has ended and I'm really close to finishing my Goodreads challenge, I want to focus in on some of the categories for the PopSugar Reading challenge and the Book Riot Read Harder challenge as well.

At the beginning of August I put together a to-do list (or a few goals) for the month and definitely didn't come close to checking most of them off. To be fair, it really should have been a summer to-do list because there was no way it was going to be possible to check off so many things in just four weeks. The best part is that everything on the list can still be checked off this month, so no pressure.

September also brings a few new things I'm really looking forward to checking out: National Book FestivalMuseum of African American History & Culture openingDC Short Film FestivalReopening of the East Building at the NGA. I'm also really excited for season 2 of Narcos to be released this week-- it's definitely my most anticipated new season of the year. Plus football is back, and chili sundays, and flannels, and all things apple...

What are you looking forward to in September? Are you ready for summer to wind down, or are you also ready for fall? Linking up with Kristen & Gretchen today for what's new with you?

23 comments

  1. By and large I am not into book challenges. Even when I choose the books when it comes time I feel like I'm stuck reading that book and I automatically want to read it less. Lol so toddler-ish.

    That being said I do like Appalachia books!

    I don't like to rush anything but I do so love the months of Septemver and October...August not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I feel like it was just May too. Where did this year go!? Although I can't wait to watch Hocus Pocus a bajillion times either so I guess bring on fall! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, good riddance to August! The weather has just been miserable and I'm ready to be able to enjoy the outdoors again. Happy unofficial Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year is definitely flying by at lightning speed, but I'm hoping to enjoy the next few months going into the holiday season. And YES to all the cheesy Christmas movies :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year is totally flying by and I don't like it. haha I so cannot wait for cooler weather. I just want to wear all my fall clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can hardly get a handle on the 3 books that came in for me at the library let alone do a book challenge! as much as i love summer, i'm also super excited for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer. What is summer? The biggest change for me in summer is less traffic on the way to work...which is good. I cannot believe it is Sept 1st though. It is crazy how fast time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After such a hot summer in DC, I'm more ready for fall than I normally am. I've never been to The National Book Festival, but it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely ready for fall! Sounds like you have some exciting things coming up to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite things about book challenges is being able to read something you wouldn't have picked up otherwise. I didn't participate this time around in Megan's challenge, but I'm hoping that I'll make it next time! And yes having cooler months! The end of this summer has been so incredibly hot, even though it's not the hottest summer we've had in Texas. I totally didn't realize that Narcos starts back up soon! I watched the first season this summer and became so addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so ready for fall but at the same time, I'm sad to see summer go. I'm actually from Appalachia, but I haven't read Big Stone Gap yet.

    Tif
    www.brightonabudget.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe it's September already either! This summer really flew by. I'm currently doing Erin's book challenge and it's the first time I've ever participated in one. I really tried to focus my efforts on reading books I already own which has been going quite well. I think I'm at 6/10 read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad to see the summer go as well. It sure did fly on through. Just waiting on the temps to cool down now, my goodness it was a rough one! I cant believe that we are getting in to the season of PSLs, Hocus Pocus and then all the Christmas things! I am going to have a baby before Christmas. Oh my!!! Hope you get the rest of your list checked off!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am not ready for summer to be over because i hate the cooler weather, but something about this summer has me saying good riddance as well. i don't know, but i'm not sad to see it go!
    i was super excited about megan's challenge aaaaand i think i read like 2 books? so, go me. hahaha. i suck at challenges lately!
    thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like the summer went by SO quickly, and for a second I felt bad saying bring on fall and bye summer, but the past few days have had highs in the low 70s and some rain and I'm loving it so much I don't feel guilty anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm super stoked to watch Narcos! That might be what we're doing tonight. :)

    I'm glad it's September. Good things will happen this month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We had such a mild summer so I'm a little sad to see it go. But I'm ready for school to be back in session, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good riddance is right! I think that August is my least favorite month. It feels so long and hot and unnecessary to me..so I'm right with you happy that it's over. Happy September! And thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl, I'm with you - bye, August! I'm so ready for fall, cooler temperatures, and all things apple/pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This summer was definitely not an easy one on any level, and I'm with you in being happy to say hello to September!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The National Book Festival is also high on my September bucket list - Salman Rushdie is supposed to be there this year! Maybe we'll see each other :)

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  22. I started with a reading challenge this year and just gave up. My goal is usually just a number and this year, I'm struggling to meet that. Also, I'm pretty over the "too hot to play outside" weather and can't wait for cooler evenings and no more air conditioning :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top