Don't You Just Love New York in the Fall?

This is more of a last week-ing than weekending, but I figured it still counts to linkup with Biana today. We took a short last-minute trip to New York last week, where we did our usual walk around and experience as many neighborhoods as possible.



We were there on the first official day of fall, and I think I must have said, don't you just love new york in the fall? about two dozen times (even if it was still almost 90 degrees). We had breakfast at Jacob's Pickles one morning on the upper west side, so it was the perfect opportunity to check out a few You've Got Mail locations while we were in the area.
upper west side; you've got mail; kathleen's apartment
Kathleen's apartment exterior
upper west side; you've got mail; riverside park; 91st street gardens
91st Street Garden
Since we're big on walking everywhere, we're always on the look for somewhere to get a drink and rest our feet a little bit. We happened upon the garden at the Cooper Hewitt museum, right across from Central Park on the Upper East Side. On Friday morning we were headed down towards Chelsea near the high line and stopped to get coffee at Intelligentsia inside of the High Line Hotel-- there's a coffee cart in the front, with a dining area, but if you go inside there's a second coffee bar and a really great courtyard in the back.

There are few things I love more than dessert, but somehow I had never tried a macaron. I think I had it in my mind that they were trendy more than they tasted that great. Since I don't plan on heading to Paris anytime soon I figured New York was as great a place as any to finally give them a try and now I'm a little bit obsessed. Speaking of dessert, we had Nutella filled churros at Boqueria that were also amazing. We discovered there's actually a Boqueria in DC which could potentially be a bad thing... 

I've heard Kasi talk about Strand Book Store quite a few times and was so excited to check it out in person. It was a little bit overwhelming in the best way possible and is basically any book lover's dream. My one souvenir from the trip was a tote, a couple of post cards, and a book. I got to smell a few of the Hearth & Hammer candles I mentioned in my last Etsy post.

One day we'll make it to Ellis Island and Top of the Rock, but for now I really love just wandering aimlessly around the city exploring new places and trying new things. Until next time, New York. 

27 comments

  1. What I love most about NYC is that every time you go there's something new to see, experience and eat!! So glad you guys had a great time and I actually would never think to stop at some of the You've got mail spots!!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun trip! i loved your snaps too. i am obsessed you did a you've got mail mini tour. i usually just hit up my normal SATC spots. kathleen kelly is perfection :) now i need to get back up there stat!

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. hands down, NYC is one of my fav US cities; there's so much to do/see/eat/explore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the title! I love that episode of SATC. I've never been to New York but dying to go! Glad you two had a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, I love that you visited from places from You've Got Mail! I've never been to NYC, but this looks like the perfect time of year to go. That bookstore sounds like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness could not love this post more! Love that you visited so many of the filming locations for You've Got Mail! Such a fun trip <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love NYC, there is always so much to see and do. Love the Strand bookstore, I could spend hours there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New York is so magical. It's one of my favorite places on earth. It just makes me feel alive. Awesome post - I'm saving it for my next trip to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your souvenir picks!!! I'd love to go in that bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh I want to go to NYC in the fall!!! And around Christmas too. I love You've Got Mail so it is so cool that you got to see a few locations from it. And I love macaroons and it has been awhile since I have had one. I need to change that! The nutella churro sounds amazing too! Yum!! It sounds like you had a fun time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh yes, New York in the fall and You've Got Mail -- two perfect things :)
    So funny, when David and I were in DC in July we went to the Boqueria there, haha! Never been to the one here in the city though. So glad you finally tried a macaron—so good, and as far as desserts go, not that guilt-inducing, right?? So glad you guys had a good trip up here and hopefully next time we'll be able to grab a coffee or something together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic adventure, and I love that you went on a little "You've Got Mail" tour! So many good spots in the city :) Have a great week!

    Meg, Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love NYC and walking around and discovering new parts of all the different neighborhoods! It sounds like y'all had a great trip, and I love that you tried macarons for the first time there too! They're so good, right? I still haven't been to NYC in the fall, so I'm thinking that I need to add that to the list soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh sounds like a lovely trip! I love when you just go around and find fun things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been to NYC but for my first trip it MUST be in the fall or at Christmas time! Your pictures are great, and oh my gosh, macarons are sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Strand Bookstore is like my little heaven in the city. You can get lost in there for hours. Also, I love the UWS. I should really watch You've Got Mail soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. New York is always a good time! Love visiting, it's been a while! I've never tried a macaroon! 🙊Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never been to NYC, but if I ever go, I want to do it in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  19. New York in the fall is so so gorgeous! I love that you saw some spots from You've Got Mail! Great movie!
    Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks like a fabulous trip, friend. Yum macrons, soooooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This post has me so emotional and homesick!! I love New York in the fall and I'm so glad you got to enjoy it. French macaroons are one of my favorites - next time you go back, get one at Bouchon in Rockefeller Center for me, please! And The Strand is one of my favorite places on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So jealous of your NY adventures!! It is on my travel bucket list almost every year, yet for some reason we never can make our way there! Fingers crossed for sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love New York during Autumn! So beautiful! I followed your adventures on snapchat and it looks like you had quite a bit of fun! :]

    xo Deborah
    <a href="http://www.coffeeproseprettyclothes.com/“>Coffee, Prose, Pretty Clothes</a>

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love NYC!! I was only there in the winter, which was also nice in its own way, but fall would definitely be prettier (and more fun to walk around in) :) Definitely hoping to make it back sometime soon!! Strand bookstore sounds sooo amazing. Did you ever see the quiz they give people as a job application? It's so hard! haha http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/14/nyregion/strand-quiz.html?_r=0

    ReplyDelete
  25. we did the top of the rock but at night time and couldn't see a thing :( so sad. one day i'll go back and go up during the day!
    so when we went to NYC, i had been listening to Taylor Swift's 1989 for a couple of months i think and i just kept saying/singing 'welcome to New York! it's been waiting for you! welcome to New York!' and KC was like OMG STOP.
    we went into the strand as well, SO overwhelming! i bought a book (sense & sensibility hashtag loser), it was so busy and so many books i was just freaking out. i prefer my bookstores not to have people. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad you finally had a macaroon!! Aren't they just the best?! NYC is my favorite city in the US. It's so awesome that you guys live so close to make a last minute trip.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've only been to NYC once and it was last year in May. Which was a gorgeous time to go, but the fall would be amazing too! Although, I've always, always wanted to go in the winter/Christmas time! It seems so magical that time of year (or at least that's what the movies tell me!). I did make it to Strand though and I'm glad I did. I had a hard time not buying all the souvenirs there haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top