What's New With You? |AUGUST|

Despite an ever growing things to see and do in DC list, our summer seemed to slow down a little bit once we got back from vacation. Blame it on the post-vacation blues or the heat (or both), but the second half of July felt like a bit of a lull. If you followed along on instagram you saw a lot of vacation photos, but we had the most wonderful vacation in Michigan over the 4th of July. If you ever get the chance to go during the summer-- do it! Lake Michigan beaches are so beautiful!


red ross; spencer; caleb; spaleb; PLL
I'll be sharing my latest reading roundup post next week, but I've been watching so many TV shows that I made a bullet journal style page to keep track. The Night Of on HBO is definitely a favorite and I kind of wish we weren't watching it as it's released so we could binge watch all of the episodes at once because you definitely want to know what's going to happen. I'm still keeping up with Pretty Little Liars which is just iffy at this point, but that scene with Spencer and Caleb (and Hanna) gave me all of the feels.

We whizzed through season one of Odd Mom Out and really enjoyed it. A lot of it is a bit too much for me, but the funny parts are enough to keep me watching, plus it's kind of nice to watch something so light lately. I think I'm going to dedicate an entire post to Friends, but I just finished up season 5 and it's pure gold, and probably my favorite season of all.

cravings cookbook; shrimp summer rolls; chicken lettuce wraps
I dug back into the Cravings Cookbook and made the shrimp summer rolls and chicken lettuce wraps. Both were really good and surprisingly easy to make. The lettuce wraps were a little bit too spicy for my taste, but my husband said they were his favorite of any we've made before.

dc sandwiches; dc rooftop; happy hour; beignets;
We've been trying to do a better job of trying out some new places to eat. One Saturday before heading to the pool we stopped at Straw Stick & Brick deli to pick up sandwiches. I had the smoked turkey and my husband had the tuna salad sandwich. Both were really good and you could tell everything down to the bread was incredibly fresh. We've also enjoyed happy hour at Bar Deco, even in the sweltering heat on the rooftop (they have fans & some shade). We tried beignets at Bayou Bakery (not even close to being as good as cafe du monde- but can you really go wrong with fried dough & endless powdered sugar?). We want to go back and try breakfast there eventually.

As far as movies go we finally watched Spotlight when I saw it was available on Netflix. It was so, so good, but also horrific to watch. The entire time I was watching I just kept thinking this is why it's important to do the right thing even when it's hard and everyone is working against you. I really enjoyed this article talking about the actors playing each person and the actual journalists. Highly recommend if you haven't seen it yet.

Make sure you stop by Kristen's blog to linkup to share what you've been up to lately!

19 comments

  1. yeah for some fun show watching. the night of is so good! it's crazy to think it's half over though. i can't wait to see how it all turns out. michigan is def lovely in the summer. must go back up to the lakes someday soon :)

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly forgot all about the Cravings cookbook - I need to get mine out ASAP and dig into some new recipes! I thought spotlight was excellent, too, while being awful at the same time. Just a really moving movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel in a summer lull too.

    I don't really buy cookbooks anymore but was thinking of buying the Cravings cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The post vacay blues are no joke! All I think when I see that Friends episode is "Red Ross"! Love that you've been digging into your new cookbook and trying some fun summer recipes, the best time of year for it <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Spotlight was fantastic and horrific. It's hard to believe that people would knowingly cover up something so terrible just for the status quo. I have been DVRing The Night Of for the very reason you mentioned. Now that I have been introduced to binge watching, waiting patiently week after week is just too much to ask! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can never find good lettuce to hold shape like that to make good lettuce wraps. THE STRUGGLE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I haven't heard of The Night Of but I will have to check it out. PLL drive me batty most weeks but I just can't quit. I am too invested. Chris and I are rewatching Friends for like the 10th time. That show never gets old. The recipes you made sounds wonderful, I will have to check out that cookbook. Trying new restaurants is like a favorite hobby of mine. I have two on deck for this week alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SPOTLIGHT IS ON NETFLIX WHAT?! Is it still there?! I sooo want to watch it! PLL seriously hurts my brain. They throw around so many names and stuff like that and I find myself thinking, "Wait...but how would that work?" Hahaha! UGH. I wish I could keep track of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really want the cravings cookbook. i don't know what i am waiting for. i haven't heard of or seen spotlight so i will have to check it out, and The Night Of sounds good but i'll wait so i can binge watch haha. i feel like july in general has been a bit lull-ish for us, i thought it was just us though. i love summer but i'm not sad it's coming to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I REALLY wanted to go to Bar Deco for their rooftop but unfortunately it was too cold when I was still there. I've been watching the Night Of, too, and it is so nerve racking! I kinda wish I could binge watch it but I think the experience is better with making me wait for the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I have been watching The Night Of and Friends this summer too! You're totally right about wanting to binge watch the whole season of The Night Of! There's so many details in each episode, that I always hope that I'm remembering everything! Friends is definitely that bright light in the midst of all of our dramatic shows! We're in season 3 right and I fall more in love with it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love season 5 of Friends too, one of my favorites by far. When all the seasons first came on Netflix I tried to do a 10 best episodes, but I couldn't pick one per season. Seriously love that show.

    Put Spotlight in my Netflix queue too but I'm waiting to watch it—I know it's going to give me some unpleasant feelings. Glad to hear you thought it was a good movie though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spotlight was so good, and so eye opening! I am in the same boat as you with the July lull. Discovering new restaurants definitely helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so inspiring! I love the post:)

    www.irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to admit whenever I'm looking for recipes my first instinct is to go online, but I got a whole bunch of cookbooks for my bridal shower that I need to go through! I'm the worst when it comes to cooking full meals since when I'm on my own I just tend to "graze", but I want to get into meal planning for when we get married so all the decisions have been made before it's time to start preparing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is The Night Of about? I've heard about it a little bit, and it sounds intriguing. We are binge watching Outlander - so, so good. I can't wait to finally dig into the Cravings cookbook once the kitchen is finished - I will bookmark those recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You made me realize that I have really fallen behind on shows to watch. I pay for Netflix and my family uses it more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah the post vacation blues is definitely a real thing and I am still experiencing it!! I loved following along your trip though your snaps. I love Friends too, definitely a favourite of mine! And I really really want to try beignets! Kim Kardashian is always talking about them haha
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love fresh rolls but have never made them! They look great Carly! Our summer has been insane, as usual, even though I thought it wouldn't be, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top