Salt to the Sea

A few months ago I read Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys after hearing about it from a monthly book linkup. I absolutely loved the book and heard additional bloggers recommend Sepetys other books. When I saw Salt to the Sea was the book club option for August, I knew I wanted to make it a priority to read.
genre: YA historical fiction focusing on four teenagers
I don't typically gravitate towards historical fiction during the WWII era, so I wasn't sure what to expect going into this book, and really enjoyed it being in the young adult genre. Each chapter is told from the perspective of one of the four main characters. Each chapter is only a few pages so you're able to get a quick snapshot of each POV, which keeps the story moving quickly with a lot of mystery in each storyline.

The story focuses on Emila, Joana, Florian, and Alfred and they each carry a different secret as their paths all cross at different points in the story. In addition to their points of view, there are a few minor characters who are so well developed that you feel almost as connected to them. While you know the ending of the ship (based on history), there is a lot of suspense as you get further into the story wondering if the characters you've grown to love are going to survive.

I'd recommend this to everyone-- it's a relatively easy read that's both inspiring and heartbreaking. Read it for a wonderfully crafted story, but also to learn a little bit more about such a tragic historical event that is rarely talked about.

Are you a fan of Ruta Sepetys? This book was definitely completely different from Out of the Easy, but I really enjoyed both and definitely look forward to reading Between Shades of Gray.

17 comments

  1. I just read about this on Ashley's blog - glad to hear another good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like some history/time period stories but some of them are so heavy I cant get into them. This sounds like one I could get into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't read any of her books yet, but they are all on my list and i have a few of them from the library at home so hopefully i will get to them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you and I talked about this book earlier this week when we were talking about my love for the Nightingale. I think I will try to see if my library has this one on audiobook so I can read it next after my current read! It sounds good. Have you read The Boy Who Dared? It was on my top 10 list of books I read last year. Its a YA WWII novel as well and very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually a huge fan of WWII historical fictions. They're probably my favorite out of all historical fiction eras.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm glad you aren't generally a WWII historical fiction fan, because I often don't gravitate towards historical fiction of any kind (though I loved The Book Thief) and I just started this last night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally adding this book to my reading list. I love historical fiction and love anything YA. So it's a win win in my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for linking up this month! I love this book so much and I agree that one of the best things about it was learning about such a huge event in history that isn't talked about much. Even though the chapters were quick and it was a fast read, I felt like I got to know the characters so well and was dying to find out what would happen to them. Now I want to go read Out of the Easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely have this on my TBR list, and might have to move it up. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Ruta's work. I've read Out of the Easy before, and it was enchanting. I clearly have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would really enjoy this book because I am always interested in reading about WWII. Especially from teenage points of view!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is on hold for me at the library but i'm in like, 19 place of 2 copies so I guess I'll be reading this in 10 years :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't love Between Shades of Grey and I feel like I need to re-read it since I generally love all WW2 fiction. This one sounds great too, I think it's already on my TBR, but I will have to double check.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been looking for a good book - this might be it!!! Also, that cake looks AMAZING!!!

    Laura
    www.blackcoffeebeautiful.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a great read! I'm adding this to my TBR list now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was really excited to read Salt To The Sea because I'd heard so many great reviews of her other books from the Show Us Your Books linkup! I really enjoyed that this was a young adult book as well, and the different POV really did help the story line to move very quickly, although I did sometimes wish that I could hear more from one particular person at some points in time. Between Shades of Grey was only $4.99 for the ebook this week so I downloaded it and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top