Nemours Estate & Gardens

After we stumbled upon the Anderson House a few months ago I did a little research on other mansions, gardens, and estates. When I came across Nemours Mansion & Gardens in Delaware I knew it was the perfect place for a mini day trip since we can usually get to Wilmington in just about two hours.

I was completely unfamiliar with the estate and Alfred I. duPont, so we loved that there was a brief video on his history after you buy your tickets and before you head to the shuttle that will take you to the house. The admission is $17 for adults, which seemed a little bit steep coming from the land of DC (where most museums & things are free), but the cost was completely justified. The visitors center is top notch and they have shuttles running every few minutes around the estate-- combined with the overall upkeep of the estate.



The estate was originally 3,000 acres(!), now 200 acres, as much of the land is occupied by the Children's Hospital funded by the Nemours Foundation. The estate has the largest french gardens in North America and I imagine it's the closest thing I'll ever experience to something like Versailles. The house was finished in 1910 after only 18 or 19 months of construction, which seems crazy when you consider the size and detail of the estate.
reflecting pool
maze garden
the vista
butler's pantry; conservatory
grand staircase; view from the gold room
You're able to tour three floors of the estate, and it was really cool to peak into so many of the rooms. The tour is self-guided but in most areas there are guides that are eager to share bits and pieces of the history. I also found it really helpful that there's a sign with each room that has highlights or fun facts about who might have stayed there or where different decor or furniture was from. We didn't get any photos of the massive garage on the grounds, but it houses five antique cars. 

nemours mansion & gardens

Next up to visit are Vanderbilt Mansion, the Rockefellar Estate, and Old Westbury (and hopefully one day the Biltmore, but that requires a plane ride). We both agreed it was well worth the drive to explore something so different and take a step back in history. We highly recommend if you're ever in the Wilmington area.

20 comments

  1. We actually had our rehearsal dinner at an old DuPont estate in Jacksonville - Epping Forest. The one you visited is so much more expansive and vast than that one LOL! I love how ornate it is! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to go here but haven't made it :( We did check out Longwood Gardens which was also owned by a member of the du Pont family, and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks absolutely stunning! Can you imagine that being your house? I'd never leave! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. that place is stunning. i had heard about the estate from the fact we have a nemours hospital here but have never seen in real life. i could live there thank you very much ha

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks gorgeous! I'll definitely have to put this on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous estate, these pictures are stunning! I'd get lost in fantasyland walking around <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! What an awesome, fun and different thing to do!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful place!!! I wouldl ove to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow, this looks gorgeous! i need to start doing little day trips like this, so fun! and 3000 acres? holy moly! that's crazy. but for reals, i wish i lived in a place like this lol (but i don't want to clean it).

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun! I love visiting old estates. I went to the Rockafellar estate when I was in HS. You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh - that place is stunning! We seriously need to venture out more here in upstate NY because we haven't even really visited Boldt Castle yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it's gorgeous! There's a mansion in Portland not too far from us that I have been wanting to go tour. Though I'm sure it won't be half as impressive as this place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, that place is amazing!!! The inside is so pretty and those gardens. Wow!! I could walk around those forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this place looks beautiful and I can only imagine all the history behind it which is fascinating to learn while touring. We have a Nemour's Children's Hospital here in Orlando so I'm curious to know the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok so this place looks like it belongs in the English countryside, an not really close to Washington DC! The price does seem really steep, but for how beautiful the grounds and the house are, it totally makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an absolutely gorgeous estate! I would have guessed it was in Europe somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is GORGEOUS! I live in Philadelphia so it wouldn't be a bad drive to visit...will definitely have to put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so neat! I love that you do these types of trips, I'm fascinated by old estates.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, this is gorgeous! I love visiting places like this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top