Life Lately | august '16

carly blogs here; cbh; life lately
I originally had a different post scheduled for today, but I need to upload the photos from my actual camera, so I keep putting it off. I wasn't sure if this was going to be a Friday favorites or Friday five type post, so I guess it's more of a random mashup of things, otherwise known as life lately & linking up with Amanda & Katie.



Last weekend we did a major clean of our house and had to run to Target to pick up a few additional cleaning supplies. We took a quick spin through the home decor section and found the lamp we wanted months ago. We had seen it in the store and had it in and out of our shopping cart online, but I don't like buying things unless they're on sale, so we kept waiting & then we waited too long and the gold was forever sold out (or so we thought). It was stuck on one of those sale endcaps-- though sadly it wasn't actually on sale, so after taking it in and out of cart we finally decided to just get it. We figured if we still wanted it all these months later, and we actually do need a new lamp, it was worth it.
My carrot cake obsession actually started with ice cream-- which is so weird because I don't care for anniversary cake or any of the cake ice cream flavors, and I don't recall ever having carrot cake so I'm not sure why I was so drawn to the carrot cake ice cream at House of Flavors, but it was amazing. Since then I've been picking up a slice here and there from the Safeway bakery, but have been wanting to make it on my own.

I decided to go for carrot cake loaf, and trying to shred a pound of carrots without a food processor was not an easy task. I couldn't find one of our loaf pans, so I had to bake them one at a time and I wasn't quite sure how to adjust the bake time, but all was good in the end. As far as the consistency, it was perfect. It wasn't quite as sweet as I would have liked (I wanted to frost every side of every piece I ate), but if you like breads that aren't overly sweet, you'd probably love the recipe. Once I forget how much effort it took to shred the carrots, I think I'm going to try out this carrot cake recipe.

I started reading Salt to the Sea for the Beyond Words Book Club and it wasn't at all what I was expecting but I really like it so far.

I don't know if it's fall approaching, but I've been craving new makeup lately but I didn't allow myself to fall too deeply into the new section on the Ulta website when I reordered my foundation. I recently got rid of like 80% of my nail polish, so I did order one new nail polish and it's the perfect color for fall. Yank My Doodle from the OPI Washington DC collection (which is actually more of a Scandal line I think?).

I was going to do a post on nail colors for fall until I realized I did this one last August and it would have contained the exact same polishes, plus the new one.

20 comments

  1. Before we move I need to get rid of 90% of my nail polishes too...they are just not my favorite colors anymore!! So glad you were able to get that lamp it's so pretty!! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new lamp! I've been getting rid of so much makeup and nail polish, too that I want to revamp a few things for fall. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that lamp though! what a gorg piece. and i routinely get rid of polishes. they really only last a year anyway. have a wonderful weekend girly!

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. let me know what you think about salt to the sea! it's on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the lamp!!! And I really want some carrot cake now. I went to Trader Joes a month or so ago and they had carrot cake cookies. Like it was a cookie sandwich with the icing in the middle. Oh it was so good! SO GOOD! I need to go through and get rid of some polishes. I have like 100 and only use about 10. I have hoarding issues when it comes to polish, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it is the change of the seasons coming up because I'm the same with makeup right now.
    Carrot cake is one of our favorites. It was the main part of our wedding cake actually. DELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that new lamp! I actually debated on buying it and had it in my online cart a few times as well! I went with another one (also Target) because it worked better with my room but that one is gorgeous and I am having buyer's remorse right now looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE carrot cake. As long as there are no raisins or nuts. SO GOOD. Okay, I can't get over Yank My Doodle. I must be super immature, but I can't not giggle at that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a pretty and unique nail polish color! I have so many summer colors but not a ton that are just good for fall, so I miiiight let myself buy one this year :)

    I love carrot cake, although I didn't when I was younger. It just sort of happened one day in my early twenties, hah. But it's one of my favorites now.

    That lamp is amazing. Definitely a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous lamp! I like when things are on sale but I do not like when I miss out on them because I waited for the sale so let's just say I don't always wait for the sale. LOL

    I love carrot cake straight up, no raisins or nuts. Load up the icing though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for finding the lamp that you wanted, even though it wasn't on sale. I normally try to wait until stuff like that goes on sale, but then it always turns into the problems that you had with it getting sold out. That carrot cake loaf that you made looks so delicious and turned out so pretty, even if it's not exactly what you wanted. I read Salt To The Sea so quickly! I thought that it was a really good book, and I couldn't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Obsessed with your new lamp! That carrot cake looks so good, even though I don't like carrot cake haha. Dustin does though, I should be a sweet wifey and make him some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That nail polish name is HILARIOUS!!! I laughed entirely too hard at that one. I'm about to start reading Salt to the Sea and can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That lamp is so cool! I have the opposite issue with my nail polish, I never have anything I like but then I hardly buy any! I have like the same 3 colors I rotate through and they're almost black, black and dark burgundy lol. I definitely need some more variety!
    Blessed Messes

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that lamp. Great pick! And you need to post the carrot loaf recipe. I love carrot cake and bet I would like it not being too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have that same lamp in one of my guest rooms and LOVE it! I'm glad you were able to find it again!! - Dorrie @ Rt 1 US 1

    ReplyDelete
  17. That lamp! My husband and I just decided that that was the lamp for our living room!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so excited for fall polishes! I think I'm going to go for burgundy the second September hits. So glad you got the lamp! I love it!

    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I love your new lamp!! I agree - if you were still wanting it all these months later, then it was totally worth buying at full price :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. that lamp is so pretty! my motto is if i still want it ages later, i should get it. unfortunately, the things i want never pop back up so i'm always sad i missed out on whatever it was lol. i've heard salt to the sea is good, though truthfully i have no idea what it is about.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top