Carly Reads Here | august

I was one book short of my mini-goal of getting to 40 books total for the year by the end of July. I'm still waiting for my next great book that I can't put down... because I keep feeling pretty iffy about most of the books I read. There were a couple over the past two months that I did really enjoy and would recommend. Instead of listing these in the order that I read them I've ranked them from favorite to least favorite. Linking up with Steph for Show Us Your Books!

siracusa | I came across this book on netgalley and thought it sounded interesting. It wasn't until after I was approved that I realized that Delia Ephron co-wrote You've Got Mail, which is my favorite movie of all time. First, I have to point out that the formatting of this book was a mess and if I wasn't planning to go see Delia Ephron at a Politics & Prose event I probably wouldn't have even attempted to read it, but I gave it a try and was actually really pulled in by the first few pages.

The story is about two couples (one has a daughter) and their vacation to Italy. Each chapter is told from a different point of view over the course of their vacation. The characters aren't exactly likable, but they're interesting and reading each chapter makes you feel like they're each telling you a story directly, just as a friend would. *this book was provided to me c/o netgalley in exchange for an honest review

vanishing girls | This book surprised me in a good way-- when I first started reading it I was nervous because I saw it compared to We Were Liars and that book was not my cup of tea. But it felt like more of a Dessen novel in the sense of the character development and little side love story. I didn't really catch on to the thriller element of the book- though the last half definitely had a bit of suspense to it. So if you're looking for an interesting YA novel with a twist, I'd check this book out.

I'm torn because I liked the writing enough to want to read more of her novels, but none of the synopsis pull me in/ I don't really care for fantasy.

vinegar girl | This was a case of like not love, but I would recommend it for something light and enjoyable. The story is a loose retelling of The Taming of the Schrew, which I hadn't read since high-school, so it's not a Shakespeare story fresh in my mind, though I did keep thinking of 10 Things I Hate About You. I found the characters fun and likable and really enjoyed Tyler's writing style. I think I would have felt a little more iffy about it had I not known it was based on another book. *this book was provided to me c/o netgalley in exchange for an honest review

13 ways of looking at a fat girl | I wasn't sure what to expect going into this book, but I knew it was something I wanted to read after hearing so much about it. I was pretty immediately captured by the writing and felt like I could perfectly picture everything being described. While it is a novel, the chapters are disconnected and (to me) it read almost more as short stories and follows Lizzie's journey to weight loss-- and really just her attempt at finding herself. I found the beginning chapters really engaging and then the book lost steam for me. I do wonder if it was intentional, as the MC so obviously lost herself as she lost the weight.

modern lovers | I didn't care for The Vacationers so my interest in this book was solely from seeing it everywhere this summer, and I'm sad to report I didn't care for this book either. I was so bored. It kind of reminded me of Siracusa in the sense that it's a book about two couples and their children, but I didn't buy into any of the friendships or relationships, and the character development just didn't work for me. It's hard to connect with a book or stay interested in it when you can't buy into the story.

surprise me | This book was the perfect example of why you should never judge a book by its cover, though I was really intrigued by the synopsis as well and it still was a huge dud. This was the author's first novel, she's also a screenwriter, and you could definitely tell. The first part was written like it should have been a TV show, or at least that's how I kept reading it. There was too much cheesy dialogue that didn't fit with the book- and there was hardly any character development so I was beyond bored because I didn't care about the characters at all. I just kept thinking what is even happening? I did give it a star for the ending-- because the writing style felt completely different and it actually worked. *this book was provided to me c/o netgalley in exchange for an honest review



Writing this post I realized that in three of the six books I read there was a main character named Lizzie- kind of weird, right? I'd definitely recommend Siracusa and Vanishing Girls. What have you read and loved recently?

27 comments

  1. Great reviews, as always! I hear you about having trouble reading lately - I just can't seem to stay focused or get pulled into a story. I'm going to add Vanishing Girls to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you are killin' it! I need to add Vanishing Girls and 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl to my list :)
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny about Lizzie. What are those odds???
    You have a few on here I'm writing down to check out.
    I so wasn't into We Were Liars either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally thought about 10 Things I Hate About You when I read Vinegar Girl too!!!! No one I know seemed to have loved Modern Lovers so I am totally passing. Even though the cover is pretty. You've Got Mail!! I want to go home and watch that movie right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm terrible at judging books by their cover. I ALWAYS do that. Whoops. Often time fantasy books have awful covers and there are some great ones out there. I've been cruising through some audiobooks but again, nothing to write home about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep seeing 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl! Maybe I will actually read it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't like The Vacationers at all and have no desire to go another round with the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. there is nothing worse than reading good or 'eh' books and waiting for that ONE that you just can't put down. sometimes you just need a super intense book lol. actually there is one thing worse: screwed up formatting on a netgalley book. i had a really bad one once (the dressmaker i think it was called) and i really wanted to read it, but the formatting was a joke. so i gave up. i couldn't even make sense of like one line.
    i hated we were liars, so i'm glad that one isn't like that - its on my list. and take it from me, even if you did like fantasy, her series 'delirium' was awful. the first book was good, the second book was boring, and the third book was straight up lazy, like she didn't even end it properly and i'm still ragey about it. i've heard good and bad things about 'before i fall' so maybe you should check that one out if you really want to (i'm not really selling it, am i).
    modern lovers is on my list, but my reasoning is the same as yours - i keep seeing it everywhere. surprise me is on my kindle and i was feeling eh about it until i saw you rate it on goodreads and now i straight up don't want to read it hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you need to read Pride and Prejudice next - Lizzie Bennet ;) I keep seeing Modern Lovers everywhere but I'm not sure if I'll read it yet - we'll see if I ever run out of other more interesting books first. haha. The Vinegar Girl book sounds like an interesting one - I love Taming of the Shrew & 10 Things I hate about You.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't like The Vacationers at all either, so I don't think I will bother giving Modern Lovers a chance seeing as how you didn't like it either. I've only read one Anne Tyler book before and also wasn't a fan, so I haven't picked up anything else by her since...although Vinegar Girl does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think one of the very first books that I read by Lauren Oliver was Before I Fall. If you haven't picked that up, I definitely recommend it. It's about a girl that's forced to relive the last day of her life, and what she decides to do differently every time. I think that I have Vanishing Girls on my Nook, and hopefully I'll be able to read it soon. I think that I remember requesting Siracusa from Netgalley, but maybe I didn't get it. Either way, it sounds like a very interesting book that I'd want to read too. 10 Things I Hate About You is one of my favorite movies, so it makes me even more excited to read Vinegar Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the second person to say they weren't that impressed with The Vacationers. Definitely don't think I will be trying Modern Lovers, either, if both were duds to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, love the way you review books. None of these were on my list yet, though I have heard of a few of them but not explored enough to see if I wanted to read. Siracusa sounds really interesting though, I'm going to add it. Vinegar Girl sounds like I might enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no, I have Modern Lovers on my night stand waiting to be read. I thought the Vacationers was just okay as well, so I guess I won't go into this one with the high hopes I had! LOL! I added Vanishing Girls to my to read list. I did not like We Were Liars but enjoy Dessen's books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I kind of felt like Modern Lovers how I felt about The Nest. There was so much build up around its release that I assumed it would be amazing. Maybe it was just the fun cover. It was just okay, nothing spectacular and really, just a lot of people being bad friends/lovers/parents in the long run. I am so excited to read Siracusa next!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oooh vanishing girls sounds good. sadly, I've had we were liars on my shelf for months and have not read it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have Siracusa on my NetGalley list, so I'm glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vanishing Girls is on my TBR already. I've pondered Modern Lovers but I've seen enough mixed reviews that I keep on my TBR at a low priority. I get suckered in by pretty covers too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vanishing Girls sounds interesting (and I thought We Were Liars was a letdown as well.)
    I'm interested in Modern Lovers, and I have myself on the library waitlist...but I think there are 20+ people in front of me, so obviously, I'm not in a rush to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to check out these books! I'm currently reading "Second Chance Summer", that's tip from me :) x
    https://michaelavebrova.blogspot.cz/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never heard of any of these so I'll definitely have to check these out! Vanishing Girls sounds pretty interesting! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe I'll check out Vanishing Girls. I didn't like We Were Liars either.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Siracusa sounds really good!! I'm sorry a few of the books fell short for you!! WAHHH! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  24. You snagged some good ones from netgalley. I really wanna check out siracua now because of the author. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always love your recommendations. Right now I'm reading Fool Me Once. Really enjoying it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have added Vanishing Girls to my ever growing TBR! LOL! I really enjoyed another of the author's books, Before I Fall. I'm also intrigued by 13 Ways...

    I enjoyed reading your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I felt the same way about The Vacationers, but I've been seeing her new book everywhere. I think I'll leave it on my to-read list, but not rush :) Thanks for the recommendations!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top