All About Goodreads

tag post; blogger tags; book bloggers;
If Goodreads counts as a social media platform, it's definitely my favorite. If not for the ease of keeping track of what you've read and what you'd like to read, also to see what other people are reading and loving (or not loving). Usually I take some warming up to new app or website interface, but I actually really like the new look of Goodreads and think it makes it even easier to interact.

1. what was the last book you marked as read? Salt to the Sea (review coming Friday!)

2. what are you currently reading? I'm finishing up Daring Greatly and hopefully tackling a few library books.

3. what was the last book you marked as 'to read'? The Look of Love - this was on the homepage of the library website and it was available, (three cheers for no hold list!) the author sounded familiar, and the cover was fun.

4. what book do you plan to read next? Matilda - I have the ebook from the library and am hopefully going to get to it just in time to add it to my SCSBC list.

5. do you use the star rating system? Yes-- and forever wishing for a half star option!

6. are you doing a 2016 reading challenge? Yes, I recently changed my goal from 50 to 52 books and am pretty confident I'll hit my goal well before the end of the year.

7. do you have a wish list? No. I use my TBR list as a wish list in terms of what I want to read-- for purchasing books, I usually don't purchas

8. what book do you plan to buy next? I usually don't buy a book unless it's something I've already read and loved, but I know I'll be purchasing the new SkinnyTaste cookbook coming out in a few weeks.

9. do you have any favorite quotes? share a few.

Carly’s quotes


"But God doesn't call us to be comfortable. He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesn't come through."— Francis Chan



10. who are your favorite authors? This is a feature I don't think to update very often, but I do have Sarah Dessen, Gretchen Rubin, Megan McCafferty, and Joey Hodges listed to name a few.

11. have you joined any groups? This is another feature I'm not great about keeping up with, but I'm part of a couple of book club groups that ebb and flow in activity & I just joined a group for a September read-along for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

12. how many shelves do you have? 8-- along with the regular (read, currently reading, and to be read) I have one for DNFs (did not finish), childhood favorites, audiobooks, and netgalley.

Do you use Goodreads to keep up with your TBR list or to write reviews of books?

25 comments

  1. This may sound crazy but I'm so happy you explained this because I signed up but just didn't get how to use it LOL! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree with the half star option!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used Goodreads before but I'll definitely have to check it out! And can't wait to hear what you thought of Salt to the Sea! Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I didn't know you could create different lists on Goodreads! I need to do this to keep track of all the Bookbub freebies that I download and then forget are sitting on my Kindle. I love that you're going to read Matilda soon - one of my very favorite books because my dad used to read it to me every night before bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Good Reads too! It so useful to me to keep track of books I want to read rather than having random lists on my phone and/or scraps of paper around the house that are always getting lost. It's also nice that it keeps track of which books and how many I read every year.
    I am the same as you that I almost never buy a book unless I have already read and loved it.
    My only bookshelves are Read and TBR, but I think I should start one for DNFs.
    There should definitely be a half star option!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, where are we at on getting the half star option?! I started a DNF shelf and then deleted it...then I added it back again. I just don't like that if you add a book to that shelf, it automatically marks it as read. At least, it does for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been slacking on keeping up with Goodreads, but could not agree more that I wish they had a 1/2 star option!
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Goodreads... I love it especially for the quotes feature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love a half star.

    My favorite use of GR is to track books I want to read and books I've read. Since I go through a lot, it's not always immediately apparent to me if I've read it or not unless I really loved it or really hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i love this!! goodreads is my fave, i am oddly obsessed with it hahaha. but whhhhhhhhhhhy don't they have a half star option? if the average rating is a thing, and we can see the average, surely we should be able to do half stars? i don't want to be able to rate something 4.09 or whatever, just 4.5 hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so so so need a half star. There is a big difference for me between a 3 and a 4 and many books deserve a 3.5 and I end up going back and forth on what to actually rate it on Goodreads. I am reading a Sarah Dessen book right now :) I just started it this morning. I need to update my Goodreads now that I think about it to reflect such.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use Goodreads to keep track of the books I have read but that's about it. When I first joined I wrote reviews and did ratings but now I usually just blog about it haha!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh this is a fun tag - I may do this myself :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Obsessed with Goodreads.. and I love Sarah Dessen and Megan McCafferty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1) I love goodreads. 2) You just made a dream of mine come true today. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES to half stars. I totally need to do this tag. I love good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE GOODREADS! However, I struggle with shelves. Other than the three main ones. My annoyance is I wanted a shelf I could put Did Not Finish books or Favorites etc without them remaining on the three main shelves. Any ideas? I couldn't figure out a way to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make a did-not-finish shelf that takes the book out of the other categories; you just have to mark it as an 'exclusive' shelf when you create it. Here's the link on goodreads explaining how: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/210-how-do-i-create-a-never-finished-or-abandoned-shelf

      Delete
  18. I'm always torn on the rating system. I like the simplicity, but sometimes books are not quite an even rating number!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got to get on goodreads!! I feel like the last person on the earth who hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally consider Goodreads a social media platform! I love it so much too. I wish I could convince all my real-life friends and family to get on it. I also agree that there needs to be half star ratings! I don't understand why this isn't a thing. I ended up adding a "wish list" shelf to my primary shelves so that I can keep track of what books I want to read but don't own...makes it a bit easier for me when I'm looking for library books or I can direct family to the list ;) What about keeping track of what page you're on in a book...? I love this feature but I know not a lot of people use it. What a fun survey! I might have to *steal* it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Goodreads! I use Goodreads to keep track of all the books I've read, want to read, and finding new books to read, haha. I also love their annual Goodreads Reading Challenge - it motivated me to finish 60 novels last year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes to the half stars, why is that not an option?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love the new Goodreads layout as well! It's so much easier to see everything and to keep track of it all. It was the best day ever when I figured out how to add multiple shelves, and it makes it so much easier to keep track of where I have my books and different lists and stuff. And why can't they just get half stars already?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Goodreads and the new layout!! I love following you on there too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top