The Gilded Age: Anderson House Washington, DC

dc, places to visit, estates, museums, gilded age, east coast estates & mansions
I've debated writing this post because the only photos I took were from my iPhone-- which isn't the best quality, especially indoors, but I loved these photos too much not to share. My husband and I stumbled upon Anderson House on accident when we were walking from the Woodrow Wilson House to the Heurich House for the Dupont-Kalorama Museum Walk. The walk is hosted by the Dupont-Kalorama Museums Consortium and it opens up many museums in the neighborhood free of charge for the weekend. I love museums, I would go to one every single day if I could and never get bored, but I love old estates and homes just as much if not more. I love the feeling of being transported back in time.



Despite my research on the museum walk, the Anderson House didn't grab my attention so it wasn't one of the places we planned to visit. I believe I saw something on Twitter while we were walking and I noticed it was just a few blocks away so we figured we would pop in really quick and check it out as well.

The Anderson House was completed in 1905 and was the home of Larz and Isabel Anderson during Washington DC's social season. The estate was gifted to the Society of the Cincinnati upon Larz Anderson's death- today it remains the organization's national headquarters.
anderson house, dc
We were immediately blown away by the grand details in every single room. You definitely felt like you were transported back in time because everything appeared to be preserved so well, and you had full access to walk around each of the rooms.

anderson house, dc

anderson house, dc
The Anderson House regularly offers tours, and if you're in the DC area, I'd say it's worth checking out if you have any interest in history or architecture from the early 1900's and days of the gilded age. It's just a quick walk from the DuPont Circle metro stop and there are a lot of restaurants, cafes, and some cool bookshops in the neighborhood as well-- so it's definitely worth a trip away from the mall if you have some extra time in DC.

For more Carly Blogs Here follow me on Twitter & Pinterest 
or click the buttons below to share this post. 

18 comments

  1. I totally love exploring old homes as well. I'm always so curious how people lived in a past era and of course, what the decor looked like! Glad you stumbled upon this house!
    Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always so much fun exploring places with so much history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so gorgeous! I love exploring historical places. Buildings just aren't built the same any more. The detail on that ceiling is absolutely amazing! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to visit there, and now you've convinced me to add it to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous place, love the history behind it too. I've been itching to get back to D.C. for site seeing and exploring and will have to add this house to my list <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely pictures, love me some history in a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love visiting old homes and museums as well! I love the feeling of getting swept back in time and learning about something new!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha i use my iphone most of the time.. but i agree, it doesn't do so great indoors! how cool that you stumbled upon this one. i am with you and museums, love them! i haven't really ever been to anything like this though, so i'm not sure if i'd love it as much as a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use my iphone all the time too and I think these pictures turned out just fine!!! I have always wanted to check out DC, so much to see and so much history!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How awesome is this?! I love old estates, and this one looks right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously you live in the best place! So much History. Though I love Boston too! Thanks for sharing with us! The phone photos are great..! Nothing like seeing it in person! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooook. Next time we're in DC I want to visit there. I have to say, out of all the places I've visited, DC has the richest history. And the city was nothing short of gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is definitely a place I'd like to visit. I love all the history. You live in a great area!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's so interesting to explore antique homes and learn the history plus all the small detailing that goes into the architecture and design is fascinating and just unheard of today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love! and the photos look great to me! i just love me some history and exploring DC always brings out the best spots. i miss that city!

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  16. man... they knew how to decorate back then, didn't they?
    They dont make houses like that anymore. Or if they do, they're in Vegas ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you imagine living like this? It always blows my mind.

    Phone photos are better than they've ever been. Whew! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anderson house looks beautiful! It's so neat living somewhere that you can stumble upon some really incredible places without even trying.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top