Summer Salad Ideas


cbh; recipes; summer salads; quinoa
I'm really not a big salad person when it comes to eating at home. I always have good intentions, but I'm really picky with dressing and more often than not when we buy lettuce, it ends up going bad before we get around to using it. I came across these two lettuce-less salads that are really easy to make, last almost a week in the fridge, and are nice and refreshing as the hot, humid summer months are upon us. These recipes have really similar ingredients, but they're also just different enough that you don't feel like you're eating the same thing. Plus, it's always nice when you can use the same ingredients in multiple recipes to cut down on the amount of groceries you need to buy- or things going to waste. I wasn't making either of these to blog, so I don't have any pretty pictures- just a few snaps from my phone. #notafoodblogger



Chopped Greekish Salad (original recipe)
I altered this recipe quite a bit to my own taste preferences, but I imagine the original recipe is just as good-- or you can easily swap things out for vegetables that you prefer.

I used 1 can of chickpeas, 1/2 red pepper, 1/4 red onion, 1 medium cucumber, feta cheese, kalamata olives, and parsley. For the dressing I had to improvise a bit so I used olive oil, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and a little bit of pepper. All you need to do is chop the vegetables up, add the chickpeas & feta and toss with the dressing.

I would have used a whole red pepper, but I was saving half of it for the next recipe. I didn't measure the feta or olives, but can you ever have enough feta or olives?

Greek quinoa Bowl (original recipe
This was my first time making quinoa and I'm finally a huge fan. The recipe recommends toasting the quinoa in the pan first before you cook it and normally that's the kind of thing I normally might skip over, but I've tried it both ways and that mini extra step makes a difference in the flavor!

While the quinoa cooked I chopped up 1/2 red pepper, about 1 mini cucumber, and a few olives. Then you combine the chopped ingredients to the cooked quinoa and mix in some feta and apple cider vinegar. The first time I only used 1/2 cup of quinoa and it only made two servings, so if you want to make a big batch for the week or enough for multiple people definitely double or triple the recipe.

I have my eye on this quinoa recipe to try next-- there are few foods I love as much as grilled corn! I also really want to try the quinoa crust Kristen mentioned. What are your favorite salad recipes? Are you a huge quinoa fan too?

29 comments

  1. I love salads. A simple Greek salad is nice.
    This one looks appetizing. Looking forward to your next recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVVVEEEEE quinoa - & as a vegetarian, its great protein too - BONUS

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Greek quinoa bowl sounds delicious! I need to eat a bit healthier for lunches and that sounds perfect! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Greek quinoa bowl is right up my alley!! Cold salads are my favorite in the summer (and perfect to bring to bbqs!).

    Meg, Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love greek based salads like this! I make two that are very similar. My favorite way to make dressing for greek ones is to use red wine vinegar. Feta makes everything delicious, right?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm those both sound delicious! I do like lettuce salads but I'd love these as well. I pretty much made a greek salad for lunch today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you shared these. I've been pinning lots of salads, too, because I'm tired of chicken for lunch! And we waste lettuce, too. Can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first one sounds really good. I wish I could get into quinoa. I just can't get it to taste right. I need some help in that department!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever we make quinoa we eat it warm, but I prefer it sooo much in cold salads! And we're the same way with lettuce...we never eat it all before it goes bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love quinoa! It's super easy and it tastes great too, especially since I don't really like rice. I have a go-to quinoa recipe but I feel like it's good in any salad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quinoa salad sounds so good! I'm not the biggest fan of just salads for lunch, but I feel like quinoa would fill me up for longer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look good! We have a bag of lettuce going bad in the fridge as we speak. The only salad I know how to make is pasta with italian dressing! So good, but ALL PASTA is no bueno. I've been meaning to try out these non lettuce (non pasta) salads and haven't quite gotten around to it, but I need to!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The greek quinoa is one of my favorite things to make for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay that quinoa salad looks delish! I am going to have to make that! :)

    xo, Stephanie
    www.astyleofherownblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy, these all look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been LOVING anything chickpea and will definitely be making that one!! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love salads and these all look soo good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As weird as this may sound, I've never made any salad other than a traditional one. If I eat different types, I usually buy them elsewhere.

    Those salads look delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes salad is all I want in the summer because summertime cooking is the worst! Thanks for this! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. i make a batch of quinoa salad every week and it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have had a box of quinoa sit in my cupboard for a few months now and I haven't touched it because I don't know what to do with it! I love greek salad so this would be a great option!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love salads, but I prefer them when someone else makes them for me. Well, it's the dressing I have issues with. Plonking greens in a bowl is easy, the dressing part I always FAIL. Even store brought ones don't taste right when I buy them, I just can't freakin' win!

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both of these look great. I need to check the qunioa one out bc I've never had it in/as a salad before!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never tried a Greek salad- this looks amazing! I can't wait to try it!

    www.lipsticklattesblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. These both look good! We have a Costco size bag of quinoa that we need to use so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i am not really a huge fan of lettuceless salads haha but that greekish one looks deeeeeeelish. and yay for quinoa! good luck with the crust, it was fairly easy if i remember correctly. my favourite way to eat quinoa is like pasta - with pasta or plain tomato sauce and a bunch of veggies. i put it in a dish in the oven so all the veggies get nice and.. not mushy, but you know, like melty in your mouth haha. i call it 'ratatouille' but it started as ratatouille about 5 years ago and 100% is nothing like ratatouille anymore haha.
    so anyway. i use spinach for my salads instead of lettuce. lasts longer! i make up all the crap for my salad - tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms whatever, and then put that in a bowl. then i put the spinach in a big ziploc bag separately, it doesn't last as long in a bowl or container from the store. i'm not huge on salads at home right now unless it's as a side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top