Four Books for your Pool Bag This Summer

It finally feels like summertime with Memorial Day weekend behind us, hot and humid weather, and longer days. I've gone back and forth on what to include in this post because I know there are about a zillion new books out that are perfect for the beach or pool, but I wanted to stick with recommending books that I've already read and enjoyed. I also really wanted to pick books that aren't as talked about, or don't already come up on other similar lists. For me a good pool read is something that's a little bit light and fun, but still entertaining and engaging. Something that will keep you captivated, but if you get slightly distracted by a screaming child or annoying insect, you won't totally lose track of the story.

what to read summer 2016, beach reads, pool reads,

Anchored | If you're in the mood for some major chick-lit... I read this last summer and don't think it ever got enough hype-- the story moves at the perfect pace and has an interesting cast of characters with the perfect amount of romance thrown in.  The story follows a local news anchor as she tries to make it big without getting sidetracked by temptation while staying true to herself. (the ebook is on amazon for $3.99)

Along for the Ride | If you're a fan of YA fiction... though I'm guessing if you're a YA fan you're probably up to date on all of Dessen's novels, but if you haven't read this one yet it's one of my favorites. While it's your pretty typical girl meets somewhat quirky boy over summer break, it's impossible not to become completely entranced with the storyline and characters.

Losing the Light | If you want to feel like you've been transported to France... this was one of my favorite books so far this year-- I read it back in the beginning of March and have thought about it a few times since then. There's frolicking in the south of France, a love triangle, and friendship pushed to the limit.

Bitter is the New Black | If you want something that will give you a few laughs... while Jen Lancaster probably isn't for everyone, I definitely enjoyed this book and think I read it all in one sitting. It's based off of real events in her life and she puts her humorous spin on life after losing her job and everything that comes after in searching for a new one.

What are your go-to books for the pool or the beach? What new books are you looking forward to reading this summer?

[linking up with kristen]

29 comments

  1. Anchored sound right up my alley! I always like to read books that take place in a beach setting during the summer - kind of weird but always just seems more fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just added three of these to my reading list! Losing the Light has been on my list forever, so thanks for the reminder that I need to finally jump into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally know what you mean, i don't like recommending books i have't read haha. i haven't read any of these so adding them all to my list. anchored sounds interesting! actually i lied, i have read along for the ride, i'd forgotten about it hahaha. i have only read 2 of dessen's books, i know i have a few more on my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jen Lancaster! She is so funny! And I will definitely have to check these out. I love light reading for the pool or just sitting on the patio! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anchored sounds like such a cute read, and definitely one that would be perfect by the pool this summer. I'm a huge YA fan, but if you can believe it, I've never read a Sarah Dessen novel. Sounds like I need to jump on the bandwagon! Losing the Light is already on my list, and it sounds like the perfect book to escape with by the pool or on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read two of Dessen's books and enjoyed both. I'll put that one on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been in such a reading slump lately; I really can't understand why. Nothing is appealing to me really. Luckily summer is when this usually turns around as long as I have a good book to keep me coming back for more, so thank you for this list! I will look into each one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been able to read as much as I used to... I need to make more time! I've heard about Bitter is the New Black and really want to read it! xo, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  9. These all sound great! Too lazy to even open Goodreads so I just had to save the post and do that later. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay I'm falling behind in my reading again but these sound awesome. I need more time to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Bitter is the New Black! I haven't read any of the others though so I will have to add them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adding Anchored to my "to-read" list for the summer! I love some chick lit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you organized this! I haven't read any of these but I'll add them to my list. Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. right now i'm all about james rollins - action adventure mixed with amazing historical facts and/or science geekery? yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bitter is the New Black sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm adding all of these to my reading list! I'm reading North and South by John Jakes, it's really good. But I have historical fiction books. It's not for everyone and its insanely long.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm always in the mood for chick lit - and I love the price too! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adding all of this to my list…not sure when I'll get to read but at least I'll have some good books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great choices! Adding Anchored to my Goodreads list!

    Ashley
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great picks! Bitter is the new Black sounds right up my alley!
    I'm planning on picking up the last Song of Ice and Fire book right by the pool side!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  21. These sound great! Thanks for sharing!

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great suggestions! I'm saving this list. I wish I could get through the books I'm reading now. I REALLY need to make some more time for reading. Did you end up reading "Daring Greatly"? I'm almost done and want to read Rising Strong next!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a sucker for YA fiction, so I definitely need to check out Along for the Ride! :-D
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Sarah Dessen. I've read all her books. As soon as one comes out I read it. I just read Saint Anything.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness! I was on the Sarah Dessen train for years! I need to read Along for the Ride. I'm excited to check out your other choices :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't read not heard of any of these, so this is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those books all sound interesting! I am currently re-reading the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. I read them a few years ago out of order, but they are so much better in order ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top