Carly Reads Here | June

Orlando is heavy on my mind and in my heart as we still try and wrap our head around the horrific violence and tragedy that took place. I still don't know the words to say, but I keep praying for the lives lost. Praying for their friends and family. Praying for the city. Praying for our country. Praying for our policy makers. Praying for those who are hurting. Prayer is a powerful form of action. If you're local and able, donate blood. If you're not, donate your time to support a cause or organization that is fighting to make the world a better place and stop all of the hate. I'm linking up with Steph & Jana to share the light and love that is reading. 
carly reads here, cbh, book reviews, recent reads,


I've kind of been in a rut with what I've been reading. I've been reading, but I haven't completely loved anything since I finished Finding Audrey back in April. I did read my first graphic novel after seeing it was a category on the Popsugar 2016 Challenge. I really loved reading the Archie & Veronica comics growing up, so a graphic novel wasn't crazy outside of something I thought I would enjoy, but I definitely did not care for reading it in ebook form. I read the first installment of the Boxcar Children, but think I would have preferred a story I was unfamiliar with.

how to start a fire | There were small parts of this book that I really liked-- I just wanted them to be longer than a short chapter placed three or four times throughout the entire book. This is an extremely scattered book and just wasn't for me. Each chapter is a different year, all out of order, starting in the 1990's up until 2014. I'm guessing there is some rhyme or reason for the order and the years, but it was way too hard to keep track. I felt like the book should have come with a key or something you could print out to keep the timeline straight.

escape from mr. lemoncello's library | This was a really fun middle-grade book based around board games and a library (two of my favorite things). I know I would have loved it even more when I was younger, and think it would make a fun movie.

the total package | This one had so much promise when it started out-- it was cute, and fun, and everything your heart desires when you want a good chick-lit... and then it got to be so ridiculous that it kind of ruined the entire book for me and I ended up giving it only 2-stars. I did enjoy the sports element to the book, making it different from a lot of typical chick-lit stories.

pretty little liars 3 | I actually think the third book was my favorite so far, maybe because I realized things were starting to be totally different from the show. spoiler alert: toby dies in the second book, but I thought it was the whole everyone dies, but no one is actually dead thing that happens on the show, but nope, he actually dies and is out of the series in the second book. There are obviously a lot of other big differences, but I was totally surprised to find that out!


I had planned on finishing In a Dark, Dark Wood, before finishing this post but I'm still only about halfway through. It started off strong, and I'm eager to see what happens, but I've lost a little bit of interest. I'm also currently listening to Love Does by Bob Goff and I'm enjoying it, but I do think my audiobook phase was short-lived. It seems like every time I try to listen, I end up getting interrupted or distracted by something.

23 comments

  1. i have How To Start a Fire on my list....it's too bad that it wasn't that good :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read the Pretty Little Liars books! I still can't wrap my head around what happened this weekend either, but love how much our beautiful city has pulled together with love and support <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think thats good the book PLL isn't like the show - that keeps you on your toes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. book ruts are the worst! I haven't been in a rut per say, but I've either been loving what i'm reading or absolutely hating it. I miss the middle of the road 3 star book :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that PLL had books! I bet it would make me want to start watching the show from the beginning! xo, Biana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fact that the PLL books are so different from the show, but still have some similarities. It keeps things interesting! I think that you'll find that the books are a little bit better developed than the tv show, which I always feel like is all over the place and really doesn't have a storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love knowing differences between books and tv shows - like true blood and sookie stackhouse, one character dies in the first book but he's one of the most important characters in the tv show and he sticks around till the end.
    i'm sorry you've not had the best luck reading wise. hope something good pops up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once I got the rhythm of How to Start a Fire down, I liked it. It was a bit hard at first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your prayers for my beautiful city sweet friend. We appreciate it! And I'm definitely in a book rut right now. I think I need something super lighthearted and fun next! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words about Orlando pretty much sum up everyone's feelings right now - it was perfectly written. On a happier note, I think I may start the PLL series if it's that different from the show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful words in regards to Orlando. So tragic and I just cannot fathom such hate. At the same time, seeing people come together to help, support and mourn together is beautiful to witness. How To Start a Fire is already on my TBR, although I honestly can't remember what it is about. That's the one bad thing - I put so many books on it but then forget why. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. orlando is definitely weighing on my heart too. continuing on with daily life, mundane things, with the sadness underneath it all just sucks. on another note, I will have to check out finding audrey. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you said "to share the light and love that is reading." And I also love the suggestion to do what we can to make the world a better place. <3

    I've never tried audiobooks for that particular reason. Often when I'm reading I have to go back and read a page/paragraph over and over again and I wouldn't want to rewind an audiobook (or just miss huge sections!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just beginning How to Start a Fire.
    Bad reading luck is annoying. I ran into that in May...June is looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always wondered if I should pick up the pretty little liars books or not. I heard that they are just so different from the shoe and I haven't decided if that is a good thing or a bad thing haha. I haven't heard a ton of rave reviews on How to Start a Fire that everyone seems to have read this month so I think I might skip out on it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to love the Archie comics! I picked one up for my little brother a couple years ago and ended up reading the whole thing before giving it to him haha!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mr. Lemoncello sounds like a fun book!
    I feel like I need to read How to Start a Fire because I've seen so many differing reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never read a graphic novel but I can see how it might be tough on an e-reader. I find any kids books with pictures to be a bit trickier on my tablet too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just finished Finding Audrey last week and love love loved it! You always have the best recommendations!
    xo,
    Chelsie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have In a Dark Dark Wood on my TBR so I will hopefully get around to reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been in a reading rut as well. Mainly bc I don't have any time to read. I've started Finding Audrey but need to recheck it out again to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How to Start a Fire looks interesting, but the layout you described sounds like a nightmare. I sometimes have difficulty with books that jump all over the place, especially since I utilize a lot of audiobooks. I'll add it to my TBR on Goodreads and I'll let the idea marinate in my brain. We shall see. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top