More Books | MAY

Another (rainy) weekend has come to an end and I'm back with my mid-month book post. I think I'm going to keep doing these twice monthly because I don't like when they get too long. I'm also trying to get in a better habit of writing my review right after I finish the book so I don't forget my thoughts and feelings. I also want to start doing more in-depth reviews where I share more about the premise of the book, I'm just not very good at doing that without giving away spoilers and most of the time I feel like you guys can pretty easily just read the book synopsis on Amazon or Goodreads. Deborah at Coffee, Clothes, and Pretty Clothes always does the best in-depth book reviews without giving away too much. Speaking of books Megan announced the SCSBC last week & at first I thought it was going to be too hard to fit the categories, but I'm actually really excited about all of the books I've picked out to read (my list is here).


congratulations, by the way | So I knew this was based on Saunder's commencement speech, but I didn't realize that was all that was in the book. When I downloaded the audiobook I saw it was 60ish pages so thought it would be longer than 12 minutes-- it wasn't. With all that being said I really did enjoy it, he shares a great message and if you haven't listened to it, I'm sure you can google the speech and listen or read it for free.

the expatriates | I was stuck between 3 & 4 stars for this book and I don't think I've ever read a book that ebbed and flowed so much in how I felt reading it. The book follows the life of three women who are expats in Hong Kong-- they all connect in someway and their individuals stories were all equally interesting, which is always a plus with books told from multiple points of view. At times I really liked it, but other times I was a bit bored because I wasn't 100% connecting with the style of writing.

fool me once | This was the first book I've ever read by Harlan Coben & I honestly have no idea why I ended up requesting it from the library but oh my gosh, it was definitely one of the biggest wtf!? moments I've ever had from a book once I got to the end. I'll be honest I wasn't totally loving it as I was reading it because I wasn't a fan of a lot of the dialogue, but that's really not the point, and if you like a good mystery I highly recommend & I will be reading more Coben in the near future.

dumplin' | When this book first came out I went back and forth on wanting to read it, but it was recently available for $1.99 on amazon so I purchased a copy. What I expected to be much of the plot for the entire book was over in the first couple of chapters-- that wasn't a bad thing because it left me curious as to how the rest of the book would play out. It was a book that I enjoyed while reading it, but when I wasn't reading it I wasn't all that eager to pick it up again.

modern romance | This was my audiobook choice of the month and I'll be honest, I kind of thought it was never going to end. Ansari talks about relationships and dating in modern times-- I love that it was research based mixed in with his own personal stories & humor. I just expected it to be a little more laugh out loud funny, but to be fair I'm not familiar with his shows or standup routines. I did find it interesting and entertaining, I just think I would have enjoyed it more reading it on my own because it wouldn't have taken such a long time to get through.

Fool Me Once was definitely my favorite of the bunch and the one I would recommend if you're into mystery/suspense novels. I also highly recommend everyone listen to or read Congratulations, By The Way. There is a full transcript of his speech here-- I think it's such an important message on kindness.
What have you read recently?

27 comments

  1. Modern romance reminds me of the show he had on Netflix...it's like what's the point, but you can't stop watching haha! Dumplin sounds great, just because you can't wait to know how it ends! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Fool Me Once recently, as well. I had never heard of Harlan Coben, but read the book because it was recommended by the Skimm. Everyone was shocked I'd never heard of him before though. I was also shocked by the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Fool Me Once is a must download when I'm done with my current list! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to check out the Expatriates book and the Harlan Coben one! They sound really good.

    Ashley
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend loved Fool Me Once, I just added it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely be adding Fool Me Once to my list. Great roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DANG IT - I've been wanting Dumplin' - I hate I missed the Kindle sale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely adding Fool Me Once to my list! Sorry you had another rainy weekend, sending some much needed sunshine your way <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read my first Harlan Coben last year, and he definitely is a great mystery writer! I haven't read that one, so I'll be sure to pick it up! We'll be reading 6 Years for our book club this month, so I'll have to let you know if it's another good one to pick up! I always love when I score a great deal on an eBook, and you definitely scored with Dumplin'! I can't wait to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read a suspense novel in a while. I'll add it to the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was curious how other people felt about Modern Romance! I read it, and I think Aziz is hilarious, but it was waaay different than I expected. I honestly though it was a memoir. I found it super interesting, and I liked that it was written in his voice, but if I had known what it was I probably wouldn't have been as quick to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mini reviews are always so interesting to read.. You give a little of everything, opinion, facts, prices etc. still working on reading a proper book this year! I'm sure once I'm home with baby I'll keep one near the nursing chair! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fool Me Once sounds interesting. I listened to Modern Romance as well and I thought it was going to be funnier or different than it was. While I thought it was ok, it wasn't amazing so I guess what I am saying is that I have the same feelings you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ive had fool me once on my list - got to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will definitely add Fool Me Once to my summer reading list! Nothing better than a good mystery novel :)
    Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know how you feel about reviewing but NOT giving things away, it's so hard! I'm not sure how I'll start doing my recaps...mind tend to be long, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard GREAT things about Aziz's book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Modern Romance is on my to-read list. I can see how if you're expecting a comedy book that you may be a little let down. From my understanding it's not *really* a comedy book, but a book about modern dating with some comedy thrown in. ;)

    You really need to watch his special on Netflix though - I think you'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know what you mean about the plot and the enjoyment of reading with Dumplin. When I read Lemon Cake the plot I expected was pretty much over before halfway through, but I ended up hating the book so...not a good comparison haha.

    I actually LOOOOOVED Modern Romance, but then I read it (or listened to the audiobook) after being very familiar with his stand-up and TV work. You could tell he applied his research for this book to his Netflix series which I loved. I thought it had some great insights, especially as a person still currently dating modernly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fool Me Once immediately stood out to me on your list, I'm so glad it was your favourite because I definitely want to read/listen to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't love the stand alone Coben books but I enjoy the Myron Bolitar series a lot. Try one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm listening to Dumplin' on audio right now and have to say, I'm not loving it. It's okay, but like you said, I'm not eager to get back to the story in between listening to it. Now I just want to be finished with it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been meaning to read the Aziz book! He has a series on Netflix that I ended up enjoying way more than expected so I hope his novel might pleasantly surprise me as well!
    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  24. i totally agree about the expatriates. some parts i loved, some parts were boring. i didn't relate to any of the characters.
    i go back and forth on my book reviews/posts. sometimes the posts are so long i know there is no way everyone is reading everything, but then i think that is true whether i read 2 books or 20. i struggle with the way i word reviews as well, i tried a couple months ago to start talking about what the book was about but then i got cranky because people can read the synopsis, and i hate reading when people are like 'this book is about etc etc' and i'm like i don't care! i want to know your feelings or thoughts! some people do it well, others don't. i am one that doesn't lol.
    also i'm crazy behind sorry but things look different around here? or am i crazy? love it either way lol!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Definitely putting Fool Me Once on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dumplin' has been on my TBR for a while but I've seen some mixed reviews and from what I've heard I think it's best that I don't pick it up. I've been reading some YA books lately, which have been pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top