Carly Reads Here | may 2016


Finding Audrey | I wish I could remember who recommend this book because I loved it so much I almost reread it again the next day & have already bought a hardcopy. The story is about a teenager suffering from a severe anxiety disorder-- so it touches on a really serious issue, but it's written with so much humor & heart. I do not at all think that Kinsella was making light of mental illness even though this book was funny- I laughed out loud quite a few times and I think it definitely helped that I grew up with a brother who was also pretty into gaming so I could appreciate all of the video game drama going on in the household. Audrey's mom is completely overboard, but I loved her.

Flawless | The second book in the PLL series and it was perfect for keeping me occupied on a quick flight to Michigan last month.

Deliver Her | I recently discovered Amazon's kindle first program- they give you six book choices that will be released next month and you can read one for free. I went with the suspense option and chose Deliver Her and it was so slow-- the first 40-50% of the book is told by the book's synopsis, so there's not much suspense there. It's hard to explain, but it's about a teenager who experiences the loss of her best friend and acts out so her mom wants to send her away to a treatment facility, so she hires someone to transport her there and they get into an accident and Alex is missing. You'd think the missing part would be the main drama, but I think she was only actually missing for like three chapters.

Secret Sisters | This was described as a romantic suspense, which intrigued me-- but after finishing the book I don't think it's my cup of tea. Right away I had kind of an iffy feeling when one of the main characters tells someone that they killed someone and they're buried under a gazebo- and it's received as no big deal. The whole book kind of reminded me of an adult PLL as far as people being murdered and then two seconds later life goes back to normal. The overall mystery element that finally wraps up in the end was good and I enjoyed the little bits of romance, but overall it was forgettable.

Out of the Easy | I came across this book from one of Erin's recent book posts and it was such a good find because I loved this book. A big majority of the time I can tell if I'm going to enjoy a book by the first page, and this was definitely one of those books that pulled me in right away. I'll admit, there was a bit of the first half that was a little bit slow, but then it sped up and there was so much suspense mixed in with an overall enjoyable story set in the 1950s in New Orleans.

Tipping Point | I finally tried another audiobook and this one was a success! I decided to go for a non-fiction option because not only do I enjoy non-fiction, I thought it would be a lot easier to listen to while multi-tasking. I scrolled through the available audiobooks from the library and wasn't having much luck, but when Tipping Point was available I figured it would be worth checking out. I haven't read any of Gladwell's other books in full (I read part of David & Goliath & didn't like it), but I think a big part of the reason I enjoyed this one so much is because I was familiar with the examples he used in the book. He talks about Baltimore in the 90s and then he talks about Paul Revere-- which was fresh in my mind after our trip to Boston earlier in the month.

The book is read by Gladwell, and I'll be honest he doesn't have the most exciting tone of voice, but he read fast enough that I didn't feel the need to try and speed it up.


Linking up for Show Us Your Books! What have you read recently? 

37 comments

  1. I've only read the first of the PLL series but I really want to read them all, there's just so many haha! And I definitely need to read Finding Audrey! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to add Finding Audrey to my list. And that is so funny. I just added Out of the Easy to my TBR list. I was looking for a book that took place in Louisiana and stumbled on it.

    Sarah
    The Midwest Darling

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ready all of the PPL series years ago and found them really entertaining. Wish I still had the books to read again, but they got lost in numerous moves. Thanks for all your reviews! I'm always looking for something new to read.

    Ashley
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty much how I felt about Out of the Easy.

    I'm intrigued by this Kindle First program. I'll be looking into that today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait! WHAT? There is a PLL series? I didn't watch the series live and just binged on all the Seasons a few months ago. Which came first? These books or the show? I have to look into this. I also loved Finding Audrey and I thought it was a nice change for Sophie Kinsella!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've almost bought Finding Audrey 3 times. You just gave me the push.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to check out Tipping Point. I've never read a Gladwell book in full, either.

    I've found Kindle First books are very hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea that Amazon let you have a book for free every month! I'm definitely checking that out right now! I read Finding Audrey a few months ago, and really loved it! I totally agree with you that Sophie Kinsella did a great job of bringing humor to the book without diminishing the impact of mental illness. Secret Sisters sounds like a good read, but probably one that I'd pick up from the library instead of paying for. I'm also glad that you're still liking the PLL series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Sophia Kinsella so I am adding Finding Audrey to my list right now!! Gary loved Tipping Point and has been asking me to read it for a while!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finding Audrey sounds really good! Adding that one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to give Finding Audrey a go! I haven't read any other books by that author but I've seen those books around so I think it might be time to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huge fan of Sophie Kinsella books, so I'll have to add Finding Audrey to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have wanted to read the tipping point for years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's funny that you say that Secret Sisters is forgettable - because when I read it, I thought, wow, this was good, and I think I read it at a time when I needed a book like that because it is a bit forgettable to me now a few months later. haha. It definitely passed the time fine at the time though :) I haven't really read many of Kinsella's books but that one sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've liked most of Sophie Kinsella's books other than the Shopaholic ones but I didn't read this one because I'm not usually into YA, but maybe I'll give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I added Finding Audrey to my list and while I like the First Reads program, most of the time those books are duds, so sad. The last one I read that was good was Trail of Broken Wings: Heartbreaking story of 3 American-Indian daughters & their mother coming to terms with their dad’s/husband’s past abuse after he falls into a coma

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm adding Finding Audrey to my list. And yes, I hate it too when someone murders someone and the other person is like, eh, and life goes on. Most people regular people don't respond that way! I had not heard of the First Reads program and need to check it out. I like getting free books and also have an easier time abandoning them if they are duds!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella! Have you read her other books? She also writes books under the name Madeline Wickham. I've read all of her books under both names and have loved them all.

    I just started reading Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. I saw the preview for the movie and liked it and my sister told me the book was great so I'm reading it before I see the movie when it comes out in June. Have you read this book?

    Amy @ http://befilledwithj0y.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I selected Deliver Her for my Kindle First pick as well. I haven't read it yet, but I'm sad that it's slow moving and that the girl isn't even missing for very long. That's not at all what I thought it would be like based on the description. I felt similarly about Secret Sisters. It passed the time, but wasn't really my favorite. I really like Gladwell! My favorite is Outliers, so if you get a chance to listen to or read that then do it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really need to read the PLL books, and of course anything by Sophie Kinsella <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bookmarking this list (per usual!). Not loving When Breath Becomes Air too much, but trying to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally adding Finding Audrey to my list! What is this Kindle First program? I am going to have to look in to it. I never did read the PLL books but I do enjoy the show...even though it frustrates the crap out of me more often than not. I think Out of the Easy sounds interesting as well. Looks like you had a decent reading month!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I feel like I'm missing out in life by not having read or watched any PLL. Haha!

    The last Kinsella book I read was I've Got Your Number (which I listened to on audio) and really enjoyed it! Her shopaholic series drove me crazy so I stopped early on, but Finding Audrey sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Deliver Her sounds so good! Adding it to the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I put Out of the Easy on my list because of Erin too, and it sounds like I need to read it soon! I won Secret Sisters in an audiobook format, so it's a bummer you didn't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. haha yeah the whole i killed someone and they are under a gazebo is a bit weird, isn't it. i didn't hate secret sisters though, mainly because i really went into it thinking i wouldn't like it. Finding Audrey sounds amazing, added to my list. the kindle first thing sounds interesting, mine says $1.99 though, i think because i am not a prime member, i am on my mother in law's prime. but still $1.99 isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad you enjoyed Out of the Easy. Like you, I was sucked in immediately. Wasn't the first sentence claiming that her mother was a prostitute? That was an interesting way to open the book.
    I added Secret Sisters because it sounds like my kind of book...even if you weren't the biggest fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Finding Audrey sounds really good; I will have to add it to my list. I haven't read Secret Sisters, but the gazebo bit cracks me up. I would read it if it was intentional, like having a suspenseful thriller where one character is a sarcastic jerk who pretends to be indifferent to outrageous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE Out of the Easy! Have you read Between Shades of Grey? It's by the same author and just as powerful and beautiful!

    xo, Chelsie @ Hey There, Chelsie

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love that you can tell within a page if you'll like a book or not! I haven't read a Sophie Kinsella book since I was in college and the shopaholic books were out - I may have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I haven't read any of these! Definitely adding a couple of them to my list.

    Zelle
    Southern Style

    ReplyDelete
  33. I haven't read any of these but I'm going to add them to my reading list. I have been wanting to read Finding Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree about Gladwell's voice. His voice doesn't match his photo for me either, haha! Try Outliers next if you want another of his books. Finding Audrey is next on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've been thinking about reading the PLL series. I've been obsessed with the show since it started and I really want to see how it compares to the books but I'm worried the books won't be any fun since I already know the whole story line! Also, Finding Audrey sounds right up my alley...putting on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I quite like Sophie Kinsella so I'll add Finding Sophie to my reading list! I like these mini reviews! Keep 'em coming! :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  37. Out of the Easy is on my list and I can't wait to read it! I haven't read or heard of Finding Audrey until this post, but I'm glad to read your review of it. Mental illness needs serious attention, but that doesn't mean it always has to be discussed seriously. Making it accessible to talk about with humor might be the best thing for helping people seek or find the help they need!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top