weekend recap | the last one of 27

Happy Monday! Today I'm inking up with Biana to share some of my weekend highlights. Friday was spent catching up with one of my good friends over lunch and shopping. I needed to pick up my race packet for my 5k, so after my husband finished up work we headed down to Alexandria. While we were down there we decided to check out a new (to us) restaurant Virtue Feed & Grain.



I tried to take better pictures but it was so dark inside this was as good as it gets
It's one of those places we had passed by a few times and it looked cool so we were excited to finally check it out. There was an event or party of some sort going on upstairs so there was constant cheering and clapping-- which wasn't a big deal, but it was already really loud (and dark) inside the restaurant. They have a nice outdoor area so if we were to ever go back we'd definitely opt to sit outside. Our food came out crazy fast-- after ordering an appetizer  it came out literally three minutes later. Our entrees came out really fast too (I had the pork tacos & my husband had a crab cake sandwich)-- the food was good, but nothing to write home about. As far as dining in DC we found it to be a pretty affordable option, so that was another plus. overall thoughts>> I'm glad we checked it out, and we wouldn't mind going back again if someone else wanted to go, but it won't be our first choice anytime soon.

Saturday was spent running errands and doing yard work. We finally watched The Gift-- I thought it was just okay, but it did have a few suspenseful moments. Sunday we were up bright and early for the Parkway Classic-- it was a little bit chilly, but otherwise the most perfect sunny day for a race. It amazed me that people were in shorts and t-shirts, and I had on pants and three layers and was freezing, but thankfully once the race started I warmed up pretty quickly. I finished the race in under 40 minutes which was a big accomplishment for me, but I'm already looking forward to when I can finish in under 30 minutes. After the race we stopped at Highlands for breakfast on our way home-- another new to us restaurant that had been on my list for breakfast or brunch-- they're supposed to have one of the best chicken & waffles in the city.


While I think we're more conditioned to measure our time in calendar years, with my birthday tomorrow I've been reflecting on my past year. As with every year there were ups and downs and I wouldn't describe this as the best year, but as I scrolled through a year of photos on my phone I felt a little bit of guilt for feeling that way-- whether it was a photo from a trip, a picture of pizza, a selfie, or a silly meme-- there really was a lot of good in my last 365 days when I looked back. Life is really hard sometimes, but we're so lucky to experience every single day, and if there's one thing I've learned this past year it's that time goes by so quickly-- it doesn't matter if you're having a good day or a bad day- the day is still going to pass and as I start the next year of my life I hope I remember to appreciate every day a little bit more.

Are you someone that likes to reset goals on your birthday? What were some of your weekend highlights?

26 comments

  1. Congrats on completing the race girl - huge thing to check off that list!! I'm always worried when restaurants bring food out super fast...like did you have time to cook it at all LOL! Hope you have a great start to the week! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the race - you definitely deserved that awesome breakfast afterwards. Chicken and waffles are my favorite! Happy almost birthday - I hope 28 is a fantastic year for you.

    Meg, Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  3. not a bad weekend! happy early birthday!!! i think it's natural to reflect on goals during this time and see what is working and what is not. sometimes its good to walk away from some that just aren't necessary or fit in your life anymore. happy monday!

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on the race! Saw the snaps! I love to think through and set goals for a new birthday year... We are too hard on ourselves sometimes! Happy early birthday! Hope it's a great one! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh I hate restaurants that are super dark and loud. But at least the food came out fast! Great job on your race! Your brunch after looks amazing!! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun weekend! And all the food looks just delicious :)
    And HAPPY {almost} BIRTHDAY!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU DID IT!! I want to hear more about your race!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go on the race, girlfriend! Good for you for finishing it and achieving your goal. And, happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job finishing your race! Under 40 minutes is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to visit DC some day soon - I've heard amazing things about old town Alexandria and I'd love to be around for cherry blossom season eventually! Yay for your race results!! I have one in June and I have been swimming instead of running for months so I better get myself in gear soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go for completing your race! I have one this weekend, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to complete it, so I'm not really going to focus on the timing of it at all. I can't believe that people were running the race in shorts and tshirts! I probably would have been freezing too! Happy early birthday! It's always crazy to look back on the year and realize how many great things really happened!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your sentiment at the end. I've been fortunate to have pretty good years for the past few—some more significant than others, some better, some not as good—but regardless of its final grade, you're right in that each day we get to live is a gift and should be regarded as such! Since my birthday falls in the first week of spring and early-ish in the year, I like to do the same thing and look at my year as the past my-age year rather than calendar year.
    So proud of you for your race—I know I've already said that, but it's true. Also SUPER envious that you got a medal because I've never gotten a medal for a 5k! Or any race under a half marathon actually. Enjoy the swag ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally forgot about The Gift! I may have to try to see it sometime, although I haven't really heard too manypeople rave about it!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful reflection that last paragraph was :) Happy almost birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yayyy congrats on the race girl! so you're already thinking of another one?? that sucks about the restaurant not being the best, but i guess better than bad. how was the brunch place, it looks yummy! i totally agree about looking back on your year, sometimes i'm like eh but then i feel guilty. i'm getting better about it as i get older, appreciating it everyday. i'm not really a goal resetter on my birthday, more about the new year, but i love to look back n my year/life on my birthday and pat myself on the back for making it this far haha. congrats again on the race and happy birthday for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the race, lady! I knew you could do it! ;) My birthday is a week from today and I definitely reflect and reset goals. This hasn't been the easiest or best year for me, either, but, like you said, there were still lots of good things that happened! I hope you have the best birthday and the best year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the race! And Happy Birthday Eve! Cheers to another year and new fabulous goals <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow and all week long! What a fun weekend out and about. I love trying new places for breakfast/lunch/dinner and now I'm craving chicken and waffles. lol Sounds like the race was a success but always good to set goals to decrease the time the more races you do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the race! That breakfast looks absolutely amazing! Also - happy almost birthday! Hope you do something fantastic - can't wait to hear about it!

    xx, Caitlin
    www.wandererandwolf.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy belated birthday and congratulations on the race! My weekend highlights included spending time with my husband and getting so much done for my shop!

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your race! You posted a great time! Yummy food too.

    Ashley
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job on the race and happy birthday :) The food looks delicious, too bad it wasn't the best. Checking out new restaurants is fun, even if the food doesn't deliver sometimes. I also like to reflect on my life and how I've changed through the years on my birthdays, I think it's the perfect time to do that. My weekend was busy, we had to go to IKEA to find some stuff and then we also made some trips go grocery stores to get some food. Being without cars is very different :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday girl!! So proud of you for finishing the race, and wanting to improve your time. Spoken like a true runner. I hope you enjoy your day today!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am SO proud of you and a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY, you baby, you! ;) 27! Oh to be young again lol. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i hope you had an awesome birthday gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top