Take a Trip to Boston | part 1

If you follow along on my social media you probably already know I recently got back from a trip to Boston. My husband had the opportunity to go for a conference and I was excited to be able to tag along. It was our first time in Boston and we were lucky enough to get to experience some true New England winter weather almost the entire time we were there. I'm from Michigan so I'm definitely used to winter lasting from October to the end of April, but it's a little bit different when you're somewhere and were planning to be outside, walking around for the majority of the trip. So despite the weather being pretty miserable, we still had a really good trip and enjoyed seeing Boston for the first time!



Where We Stayed | We stayed at the Omni Parker House-- it's apparently the longest running hotel in the United States and full of a lot of really amazing history, and is the home of the original Boston cream pie. My husband's conference was located at the hotel, so that was our main reason for staying there, but it was the perfect location for exploring the city because you're really close to just about everything, though I think we'd opt to stay somewhere a little more modern on our next trip.
the lobby was so pretty but the lighting made taking good pictures on my phone nearly impossible so sorry for the poor quality; bottom right picture is the boston cream pie!
Tours | Due to the weather we did the Old Town Trolley Tour even though the duck boat tours had been highly recommended. The trolley tour ended up being a good option since it was hop-on hop-off and on our only full day to do touristy things it snowed the entire day (like winter storm warning snow coating the sidewalks and roads). We had one really good tour guide and then a few not-so-good ones, so I think it really just depends, and if you have a tour guide you aren't feeling you can hop off and get on the next one-- they run every 15ish minutes. The tour took us over to Cambridge near MIT, which was cool because it was somewhere we wouldn't have gone otherwise.

basically just a bunch of photos from the trolley to show the snow
With our trolley tickets we had free admission to three other tours-- the boston harbor cruise, the boston tea party ships & museum, and the old state house. If you're planning on doing other museums I think this is definitely a great value. The only additional tour we did was the tea party ships & museum-- if you buy tickets online I think it's like $24 per adult & we didn't pay anything extra with our trolley ticket. It was a one hour guided interactive tour and totally cheesy, but we had fun and found it really well done.

Museum of Fine Arts | I really love art museums, so during my Boston research I knew I wanted to visit the MFA during one of the days while my husband was in conference sessions. The $25 admission fee felt a little steep as I'm so used to the museums here being free, but I think it was completely worth it. The museum is huge so there was a lot of stuff I missed seeing, but also so much I did see. I went searching straight for the art of the americas wing-- which is on four levels of the museum!

The North End | This is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Boston and is also known as Boston's Little Italy and also has a large part of the Freedom Trail. We had a really good late brunch at the North Street Grille, pastries from Mike's Pastry and Modern Pastry (Mike's was a million times better in my opinion). Our favorite meal of the entire trip was on our last day at Carmelina's & if I could recommend one place to eat if you ever visit Boston that would be it (right picture below). We also tried out the famous Regina Pizza-- which is this little hole in the wall pizzeria that definitely lived up to all of the hype. We love thin crust pizza and this was pretty perfect, we would maybe go back to Boston just for the pizza (kidding...).

I originally planned on just having one blog post on our trip, but I ran out of time to sort through the rest of the pictures so there will be a part two eventually, which is why this kind of stops in an odd place.

>>linking up for wanderlust wednesday!

26 comments

  1. I loved seeing your trip on snapchat. The weather did NOT want to cooperate, though, did it? Also, I'm having major food envy all over again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing your trip on snapchat. The weather did NOT want to cooperate, though, did it? Also, I'm having major food envy all over again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad that the weather was so terrible while you were here!! The omni is amazing...i agree the lighting in the lobby is terrible and I found out this weekend JFK proposed to Jackie Kennedy in their restaurant - pretty cool! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I'm so glad you got to go! Boston is such a great city. Loved all of your snaps and pictures from your trip. You did so much, I can't believe this is just part one! Looking forward to seeing the rest :)
    We love art museums too and usually try to go to one when we travel, and I'm trying to remember if we went to the MFA but I don't think we did? I think the only museum we went to in Boston was the Museum of Science. But side note - super stoked about free DC museums :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was gonna ask if you had the boston creme pie!! sounds like a fun hotel to see at least once, for nostalgia. i haven't been to boston in YEARS. i think another tripneeds to happen SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh boston. it is so much fun! you did some fun tours too. i did the duck tour last time i was there years ago and it was a lot of fun too. too much snow. no thank you :)

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer you had terrible weather.. Love seeing Boston through a tourist. I've never been inside the Omni but I've heard it is super dark. Can't wait for part 2! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have loved that museum.
    Can you believe you had snow... in spring... that's disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had fun following along on your trip via Snapchat - I've never been to Boston, so I'll save your recommendations for whenever we do make it there. Glad that you had a good trip despite the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boston is such a fun city, I've only been there once as an adult, before I was seriously blogging so I missed out on lots of blates :(. We LOVED MIkes and stumbled upon it randomly, had NO idea it was so famous. And I think we ate at the restaurant you mentioned, SO DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much snow!! I'm glad you all got out and about despite the crazy winter wonderland. Your tours and all of the food look totally worth it. Boston is definitely on my to-travel-to list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh I so want to go to Boston. Love all your pictures - that hotel looks really fun with how historic it is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun trip! I've only been to Boston in the spring, summer, and fall. Glad you guys still got to do so much even with the wintry weather, the snow looks so pretty! <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, words cannot describe how much I love my city! I'm sorry the weather was yucky (but that's somewhat typical for New England this time of year) but I'm glad to see you got to hit up the MFA and the USS Constitution! Also Mike's Pastries always wins! Their lobstah tails are to DIE for!

    xo, Chelsie @ HTC

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun!! The hotel looks beautiful!
    I have a miniature version of that ballerina statue in my house - I didn't know the original was in Boston!! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you had an amazing trip in Boston. I swear its warm here now. Don't feel too bad about the duck boat tour, it's kind of overrated so you didn't miss much. And I have no idea why the tea party museum is so cheesy. Its kind of sad bc they could do so much better with it. Glad you guys made it the the MFA. It's probably one of my favorite places in the city. Its free on wednesdays so we go at least once a month.
    makingrestorations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fabulous trip despite the snow! I've been dying to go to Boston and my husband has a conference there in July so I'm trying to find every way possible to join him on that trip! lol The Omni hotel sounds lovely with all it's history...I will check it out since you said it's a good location and we want to be central to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boston is one of my favorite cities to visit. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate but it looks like you still got to see a lot. All the food looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't been to Boston in a loooong time—long enough that I'd happily do the whole tourist thing again on my next trip there. Your trip looked so amazing, and I loved seeing it all Snapped as you were adventuring. You're making me want to plan a weekend trip ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like it was worth the trip just for that last collection of food photos! It sounds like you were in good sport in spite of the weather. That's how I am too. The weather is something you cannot control, so no need to get worked up over it. It's just part of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We want to visit Boston so bad - just need to find the time! This looks amazing and I'm dying over the food! Sorry the weather wasn't better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my gosh, i'd love to go to boston.. well, i've been, but only for a day and we really didn't do a lot of the touristy things that i wanted to do. i know you're used to the weather but dang! i could not have done all the things you did haha. i can deal with bad weather at home but i get super cranky on vacation when i'm trying to enjoy myself. i love cheesy tours though so i would definitely do those!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, looks like you had a fabulous time! Boston is such a cool city and I'm glad you got to experience it! A pity it was cold but it looks like you're better about the weather than I am (I'm a total wuss when it comes to cold weather!)

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how I miss good Italian food - everything in the North End looks so good! I went on a few field trips to the MFA growing up, but I'd love to go back as an adult so I could actually appreciate it haha. Looks like you did definitely get a full New England experience with all the snow!

    Meg, Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's so awesome that you got to tag along with your husband for his work trip! Boston is such a fun city, and it sounds like you got to do a lot, even though it was snowing while you were there! I love visiting museums, and it looks like MFA has some amazing pieces! The Boston Tea Party Museum was a little cheesy, but I loved throwing the tea overboard when we were there!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Boston looks like a lot of fun! The food especially got me all excited because I love thin crust pizza. The desserts look delicious as well :) Museum of Fine Arts would be interesting to visit too, I always like going to museums!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top