Carly Reads Here | april 2016

I'm a week late for the usual show us your books linkup, but I didn't want to hold off until next month to share my most recent reads. I did a mid-March book post and really thought I was going to have so many more books for this post, but I kind of hit a reading wall. I didn't end up reading anything while we were in Boston even though I had quite a bit of downtime because of the weather. This is still a special book post though because I'm finally talking about A Prayer for Owen Meany, which is now one of my favorite books of all time.

A Prayer for Owen Meany | I almost gave this book its own post because it's now one of my top 5 favorite books ever. I wasn't at all familiar with John Irving before reading this-- and actually only picked it up because for some reason I thought my mom had mentioned it to me (she hadn't). From the first page I knew I was going to love it-- something about the voice or writing pulled me in immediately. I later learned that first (and last) sentences are huge for Irving & the first sentence of this book is apparently his favorite ever. I cried a lot when this book was over, my husband thought it was because someone died, but it was more because the book was over. It's a weird thing when you have a book and you're anxious to get to the end, but at the same time you want it to never end. I finished this right before Easter and there's a significant part of the book about Easter so I kept thinking about that...  [5 thousand stars]

Now and Then | I guess this is considered a new adult/contemporary romance? I got it for free on Amazon and admittedly wanted something kind of fluff to read after Owen Meany. The entire book was dialogue with a few description sentences in-between. The characters were interesting enough but a bit on the annoying side. I don't care for books where too much is happening in too short of a time frame and things aren't properly developed-- it felt very one dimensional, but it was a quick read so I didn't invest that much time into it. [2 stars]

Ugly Love | This is the only book I've ever read by Colleen Hoover and while I didn't know exactly what was going to happen, I knew there was something that a lot of people didn't like. This was another read in a couple of hours book full of mainly dialogue & a real lack of character development in my opinion. The majority of the book is told from Tate's point of view and then switches to Miles' point of view when he's in high school- which is an attempt to set up an explanation for why he is the way he is in the current day chapters, but I had a hard time getting past the point that there was no development of Tate. [3 stars]

Pretty Little Liars | I decided this was worth a read since it was available from the library without a wait, and obviously I've been on a YA kick. This book was pretty true to the first episode of the show other than a few small details. The one thing that stood out to me was that Allison disappears when they're in 7th grade-- it does fast forward to 10th grade when Allison's body is found (and where the show starts up)... I was kind of wondering why Ian was hooking up with Spencer when she's in 7th grade? A few things kind of made me wonder what ages the book is really meant for? It read like a middle grade book, but the subjects was definitely for an older audience. [3 stars]

Lastly, Kelly Oxford's book Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar was a did not finish for me. I follow her on twitter and she's definitely funny, but her book just was not funny at all to me. Maybe the second half was better, but I stopped reading when it felt too forced and I found it to be borderline offensive. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't for me. What have you read recently?

17 comments

  1. Ok, sounds like I definitely need to read A Prayer for Owen Meany now! I know exactly what you mean about wanting a book to end but then being sad it's over! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I've added A Prayer For Owen Meany to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You basically hooked me on A prayer for owen and I have no clue what the book is about, which I love!! T Hanks for sharing - I just started a new book today exposure to a billionaire - we will see haha! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard about A Prayer for Owen Meany, so I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding A Prayer for Owen Meany to my list, especially since it's one of your favorites of all time! The PLL book series is definitely a little different. I think that they're supposed to be written for high school kids, but man do those girls deal with a lot more grown up things, like a middle schooler having a relationship with her high school sister's boyfriend! The books are definitely a lot darker than the show, but still very good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get another Colleen Hoover book going. I like hers because they're pretty quick reads.

    Owen Meany is one of my all time favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally forgot - I just found I have PLL on my Kindle - totally dont remember buying that one :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was hooked on the Pretty Little Liars series! It's a little bit of a commitment because I think there ended up being something like 16 books, but they continued to get more and more intense, which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was Now and Then the movie based on this book? I absolutely loved the movie when I was younger! And now I want to go back and reread the first and last sentences of A Widow For One Year!
    Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've discussed Owen Meany already but still good to see your review. I think I'll definitely revisit it in the future. I never thought about reading PLL but that's interesting...7th grade seems a little young for all that it turned out was going on before Allison disappeared.

    Good to know about Kelly Oxford too. I like her on Twitter most of the time, but I'm not sure I'll pick up the book. Maybe if I could get it free from the library I'd try it but I won't have high hopes for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I need to read A Prayer for Owen Meany - you have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I need to check out Pretty Little Liars, what rock was I living under that I had no idea the show was based on a book lol :-P
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Prayer for Owen Meany sounds amazing! i'm sorry you didn't like ugly love. i really enjoyed it at the time but looking back, lots of things annoyed me, and i have read more books of hers and didn't love them so they also tainted my feelings for ugly love if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok I'm adding A Prayer for Owen Meany to my list right now. Super excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will have to get A Prayer for Owen Meany on my Goodreads TBR! I've never read any Colleen Hoover books but I have one of her books sitting on my shelf so hopefully I will get around to it soon. My reading has been lacking lately, right now I'm reading Summer House With Swimming Pool by Herman Koch. His books are pretty dark but I tend to like that in certain books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had never even heard of A Prayer for Owen Meany before this, but it sounds like a book I should read!! Added to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you loved A Prayer for Owen Meany! It's one of my favs too and it hurts my heart a little bit when I hear someone didn't like it. I enjoyed Kelly Oxford's book, but I think maybe because I've followed her for so long and she's from my home town.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top