Three to Read

Usually I share my book posts once a month with the show us your books linkup, but I've been reading a bit more lately and I didn't want these to get lost in a sea of other books in a super long post next month. Plus, I'm trying to keep up my momentum of posting twice a week and I didn't have another post ready for this week. Anyway, I don't know if these three books could have been any more different, but I really enjoyed all three of them.



Losing the Light | This was such a treat to read after the last few books I read were pretty lackluster. If the book cover doesn't pull you in, the synopsis probably will. It tells the story of a girl's study abroad in France and why that year had such a huge impact on her life- it's about friendship and love and finding yourself.

This was a book I couldn't wait until I had a free moment so I could pick it up and read some more, and it was definitely a stay-up-way-too-late-reading book. I really enjoyed the writing and found Brooke to be so well developed & real. I wasn't so sure I believed part of the ending, but it didn't take away from how much I enjoyed this book. (this book was sent to me from netgalley to review, but all opinions are my own & I would definitely purchase it) [4.5 stars]

Pretty Girls | I never would have read this book if it hadn't popped up on Bookbub as a kindle deal-- I had seen it around a little bit, but as I didn't love Girl on the Train and I HATED Luckiest Girl Alive, I was kind of steering clear of the whole psychological thriller genre. This was captivating and horrific and disturbing, but so good. I rarely give books 5-stars, but that's how I rated this one, though I would never want to read it again. It kind of felt like a totally amped up version of Criminal Minds or something-- there were so many twists that I definitely did not see coming and it was one thing after the other so it kept you hooked until the very last pages. [5 stars]

This book 100% made me want to start reading psychological thrillers again.

Red Queen | Thanks to Ashley for mentioning this book a few times on her blog because it is definitely not in my preferred genre, & I probably would have never picked it up otherwise, but sometimes it's nice to switch things up. I had a really hard time breaking it away from the Divergent series or the Hunger Games-- which probably isn't a fair assessment, and is only because those are the only two similar YA dystopian series I'm familiar with, but after I got more into the book those other stories quickly faded from my mind.

A few things... the story was a lot darker than I was expecting, I knew there was going to be some kind of a twist, but I didn't figure it out until it happened, it was a great cliffhanger. So while it wasn't my favorite book it was enjoyable and I'm excited to read the next one in the series. [3.5 stars]

What have you been reading lately? Have you read any of these books?

18 comments

  1. Adding pretty girls to my list right now - I love the way you described that book! Thanks for the recommendation! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books sound great - especially the first and second reviews! Need to add those to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking for a new book to read on the train this morning and I think I've found it! Definitely downloading Pretty Girls this afternoon! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read Pretty Girls. I've heard such great things about it! I just have to get around to picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just adding Losing The Light to my list! I have a love hate relationship with thrillers. I read Hour Game a few months ago and couldn't put it down, gave it 5 stars, and totally loved it, but so often I can't bring myself to start those kinds of books because of the intensity. I just finished Girl on the Train and didn't really think it lived up to all the hype- glad it wasn't just me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty Girls and Losing the Light both sound like books up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished Pretty Girls two nights ago...I loved both The Girl on the Train and Luckiest Girl Alive, and I really liked this one too except for just a few moments where it got way too graphic for me. The story was really gripping and there were so many twists and turns, I couldn't wait to see what happened next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your great recs! I'm definitely going to remember a few for once I finish "The Virtues of Oxygen" (love one narrator but not the other!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Girl on the Train but detested Luckiest Girl Alive. Pretty Girls is on my list to read!

    Losing the Light sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I'm slightly terrified to read Pretty Girls now, but I'm also intrigued. Ha! These are great recs, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you described Pretty Girls as almost Criminal Minds-esque! I love Criminal Minds, and I've wanted to read this book for so long! I'm hoping that I'll get around to it soon! I saw Losing The Light on NetGalley too, and thought that it sounded like such a great book! It sounds like such a good read, plus the cover is gorgeous! I'm so glad that you liked The Red Queen, and it's definitely a lot darker than some of the other YA series. I can't wait to read the next one in the series either!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll definitely add Pretty Girls to my queue. Sounds awesome. The library doesn't have Losing the Light so I'll need to get my Kindle app going again, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After reading your post I'm a lot more excited to read Pretty Girls. I've seen it around but I was afraid it would be like Luckiest Girl Alive. Being dark and nasty it definitely sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't really love Girl on the Train either, and I thought I was the only one! Everyone else seemed to be obsessed with it. I'll keep Pretty Girls in mind for a future read!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've not read any of these, so i officially have some to add to my To Be Read list! have a great easter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. all of these are on my TBR so hopefully i get to them soon! good to hear you liked them, especially pretty girls as i was unsure about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, those first two sound fantastic! Adding them to my Goodreads list now!

    Ashley
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I'm loving your posts and saw that you recently shared my "Netflix + Pizza" print, if you get a chance message me on Etsy (www.thebiglake.etsy.com) - I'd love to send you something :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top