Carly Reads Here | march 2016

How is it already March? I feel like I've been on a reading roller coaster so far this year, with many ebbs and flows in when/if I'm reading. I already feel like the books I just read in January were months ago, and I'm still holding out for that first book of the year that I absolutely love. I'm linking up with Steph & Jana to share what I read in January and February!



Swans of Fifth Avenue | I was so excited to read this based on the synopsis-- other than reading half of In Cold Blood, I'm not at all familiar with Truman Capote, but a book based around his life and a group of New York socialites (the swans) sounded really interesting. I'm not sure what it was, but I was bored and had a hard time caring to finish the book. Eventually I warmed up to Babe, one of the other main characters, and I was somewhat invested in her story.  I think my favorite part was the afterward, where the author talked about how she intertwined facts with fiction in writing the book. Thank you to Netgalley for sending me this book to read & review

Eligible | One of my favorite bloggers, Kasi, shared some of her most anticipated books to come out this year, and this modern day telling of Pride & Prejudice sounded too good to pass up, so I hopped over to Netgalley and was so excited when I was approved to read. I've never read the entire original Pride & Prejudice, but I am in love with the 2005 movie and this followed along really closely. This was laugh out loud funny at times and definitely in the most modern of times as Bingley is a contestant on a dating show (think The Bachelor), Mrs. Bennet has a shopping addiction, and two of the sisters are obsessed with Crossfit. The hardest/worst part of this book was the modern version of Lizzie and how her relationship with Darcy unfolds. While I think it fit with the modern setting of the book I hated it and it left me disappointed. Thank you Netgalley for providing me this book- the expected publication date is in April!

Before the Fall | This was another recommendation from Kasi that I was lucky enough to snag on Netgalley right after she posted about it. I don't know what my problem was, but it just did not read as a thriller to me-- so many of the reviews mention not being able to put the book down, but it took me almost a month to finish.

It's about a private plane that crashes and only two of the people survive. The book goes back and forth between present day (after the crash) and before the crash examining each of the other people on the plane who didn't survive. I got towards the end and was thinking to myself finally! this is starting to get really good and then I looked down and saw I was at 99% and there was only like 3 pages left... Thank you to Netgalley for sending me this book to read & review, it is expected to be published in May.

Emma | So after reading and really enjoying the Pride & Prejudice modern adaptation I thought I would give Emma a try as it's also part of the Austen Project. Honestly, it was a bit of a snooze. Reading it really didn't feel like it was in modern times at all-- I'm not sure of the significance but every once in a while there would be a mention of a BMW or Land Rover, otherwise the dialogue felt so dated and weird. If you want a modern retelling of Emma, watch Clueless!

Domestic Secrets | This was good until it got weird (if you read Emily Giffin's The One and Only, think that kind of weird, plus more.). I did read it all in one day, which was a pleasant surprise from how I've been reading otherwise recently-- starting a book and then taking two weeks or so to finish because I feel so blah about it.

Anyway, the story is about two single moms who are supposedly best friends (I find this kind of impossible to believe) and how their lives end up intertwining in ways they were never expecting. I did enjoy it quite a bit up until a certain point, and then a few huge things happened and I felt like the reactions were lacking so much that it didn't seem realistic- it was just weird to me. I also think too many incomplete story lines took away from what could have been more development elsewhere.


20 comments

  1. Domestic Secrets sounds really good even though you said it has a few weird parts...I'm not too big on Truman Capote but I think his life sounded fascinating so I might pick that one up! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad I want to read The Swans of Fifth Avenue just based on the cover? SO cute! And Domestic Secrets has me intrigued just because of the weird parts haha! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way about The Swans of Fifth Avenue. I was so disappointed by how boring it was! Before the Fall is on my NetGalley shelf, and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you checked out Emma Approved? It's a YouTube retelling of Emma, from the same people who did The Lizzie Bennett Diaries (retelling of P&P).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can't tell you how happy it made me that you liked eligible, when i saw your 4 stars on goodreads i immediately requested it. i know the other austen project books have really poor reviews, so i was nervous but then i saw your rating, so phew. i think how darcy and lizzie unfolded worked okay, but i was a bit disappointed as well and wanted more. i have heard really bad things about the other austen project books lol so i am not really sure if i want to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well crap. I have Swans and Fall from Netgalley to read. Hopefully Swans hits me on a good day otherwise that is getting re-shelved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eligible sounds interesting. I'm looking for a new read so I'll add this to my library list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's such a fad of trying to re-tell all of Jane Austen's stories lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm dying to read Eligible! It sounds like a great modern telling of Pride & Prejudice, but I'll definitely prep myself for maybe not liking Elizabeth's character that much. There was definitely an yuck factor for me with The One And Only, so I'll remember that when I pick up Domestic Secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eligible has been on my reading list for months, so I'm glad to hear you kind of liked it, kind of hated it. Ha! I'll probably still give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely want to read Eligible when it comes out! I love seeing what you're reading to get ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmm.. Eligible has me a bit torn. P&P is my favorite Austen book, although I'm open to updated versions. It makes me a little nervous that you weren't sold on the modernization of Elizabeth and Darcy's relationship, since that is so central to the story. On the flip side, I can absolutely see Bingley as a reality show contestant! I'm putting it on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting mix of books, lady. I'm interested in Eligible, but have never read or seen P&P. Would it be bad to read this first? Before the Fall intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love NetGalley for the simple reason that it exposes me to books I might not have otherwise found. I will say, though, that they ones I've read have been mostly misses. Maybe one or two hits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'M SO GLAD TO SEE A BLOG POST FROM YOUUUUUU!!! I hate when I read a book that's a bandwagoner and end up disappointed in it. I always wonder what the heck I was missing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I have The Swans of Fifth Avenue on my TBR but I'm not exactly in a hurry to read it. After reading your review I'll keep in mind that I'll need to be on a good reading kick — and not trying to break out of a slump — if and when I do grab it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awe it's too bad that Eligible and Before the Fall weren't as exciting as they sounded, I hate it when that happens! Thank you for the shoutout :) Domestic Secrets sounds intriguing, though I didn't like the weird twist in One & Only so maybe that wouldn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i feel completely behind the times--i haven't heard of any of these. but you did the hard work, so now i know what to skip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eligible sounds so good! Definitely going on my reading list! I am reading The Royal We right now, which sounds fairly similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sad that Emma wasn't that good. I was looking forward to reading it, especially because Emma is one of my favorite JA books (second to Northanger Abbey).

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Etsy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top