zucchini: a love affair

I love zucchini-- it's probably my favorite vegetable and I'm still a little disappointed the zucchini I planted a couple of summers ago never worked out. For whatever reason we very rarely have great produce at any of our grocery stores, but anytime I see zucchini that looks good I scoop a few up.


I kept seeing this little zucchini pizza bites all over Pinterest and thought I'd give them a try. They were good but definitely no substitute for pizza of any kind. I kind of made up my own recipe: assembled the pizzas, cooked at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes then turned on the broil for a minute or two. 


I ended up cooking them a little bit too long and next time I'll probably just stick to what everyone else does and broil them for a minute or two on each side first and then add the toppings. Either way they are a great low carb snack!

And speaking of zucchini snacks, crispy zucchini bites are still a favorite. I tried zoodles (only once) and they were just kind of mush-- I wasn't a fan and haven't tried them again since. I also made zucchini "meat"balls-- they were good, but I wouldn't make them again. If you're a vegetarian I do think they're a great meatball alternative, I'd just prefer to have the protein if I'm going to have all of the carbs from the breadcrumbs. A favorite dish in our house is the chicken rollatini with mozzarella and zucchini-- it's super easy to make and always so good-- also can you tell I'm a huge skinnytaste fan? On the baking front I could probably eat an entire loaf of zucchini bread at a time-- which is why I try not to make it very often.

crispy zucchini bites; zucchini "meat"balls
What are your favorite zucchini recipes? Should I give zoodles another try?

26 comments

  1. I actually made really delicious zucchini boats yesterday for lunch!! I can't wait to try this recipe!! Thanks for sharing girl! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious!!! I love zoodles, zucchini boats, zucchini ravioli, zucchini chips now look at these! Adding them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crispy zucchini bites look amazing! I'm going to have to try those! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge fan of zucchini over here, LOVE all your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend made some zoodle pasta and it was great! Then I tried some zoodle stir fry and it was so watery and mushy :( I like them fried!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE zucchini too. Lately I've been zoodle'ng (is that a thing? haha) in the morning before work. I put it in a bowl raw, add onions & green peppers then I microwave it for 2 minutes at work. I add in a little marinara & chicken, perfect lunch. I really enjoy it and you can do so much! I'll have to try the crispy bites, those look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love zucchini too! i have never tried zoodles, i have the thingy but to be honest i just can't be bothered. my new favourite thing is grating a zucchini and adding it to stuff, like pasta (real pasta, not zoodles lol) because we get a serving of veggies but you can't even see the zucchini or taste it (not that i don't like the taste, but you know? it doesn't change the pasta). it's great. love love love love it. i have seen those mini pizzas but again, could never be bothered. also i agree with meatball substitutes. i end up using so much breadcrumbs that i am basically eating breadcrumbs and getting nothing out of it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little pizzas look good!

    I like zoodles, but I have to squeeze them out and saute them.

    I love zucchini taco boats and zucchini pie too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all about these ideas! I'm so ready for summer where zucchini's are EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! I love cooking with zucchini. Zoodles are just okay though unless they have some sauce to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I just HAPPEN to have zucchini in the fridge right now and I was wondering what to do with them. This post is heaven sent haha that zucchini pizza thing looks so good! Good to know zoodles weren't your fave cause I would have totally tried it and ruined some perfectly good zucchini haha
    xo Candace
    Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  12. That zucchini pizza sounds like a cool idea! I never ever eat zucchini so now after seeing this post I'm kind of intrigued to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pizza zucchini bites sound so good! We actually just made a zoodle recipe last night that was delicious! I definitely think that you should give them another try! http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2016/02/zucchini-noodles-with-simple-bolognese-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE zucchini! I'll eat it solo, mixed with other veggies, stuffed, deep fried, raw... you name it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've made some really good things with zucchini, but I kind of hate it on its own as a side. And I hate cooking it as a side too. I don't know why, I'm weird! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! You most definitely need to try zoodles. We love them. I never would have thought to make a zucchini pizza. Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my absolute favorite zucchini recipe. I make it at least once a month. I just bought zucchini for it yesterday! http://www.kedarhower.com/2011/10/zucchini-israeli-couscous.html
    I also add in whatever veggies we have...mushrooms, peppers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look SO yummy!


    Thanks for the comment on my book haul post. You should totally pick up Americanah - I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i need to make these!! they look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! I'm a huge fan of zucchini, too. We always put some on the grill in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those look so good and love that they are low carb!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your honesty! I've made these before, but I slice the zucchini thinner so that they get a little crunchy when cooked. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never tried this vegetable in my life! Now you've made me want to! Xx

    ♥ Carly's Beauty Blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ya know I always forget about Zucchini!!! I love it and I really need to make some more stuff with it!! The mini pizzas look delicious!!!! =)

    Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look so tasty! I have tried making zucchini things in the past and to be honest, none of them turned out. Maybe these will be successful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top