How To Have A Good Day

TGIF! With the long weekend last week, and a snow day to extend it an extra day, this was a really short week and I'm so happy it's Friday again-- and even more excited that it's supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow! I'm so excited to finally share my review of How to Have a Good Day by Caroline Webb.

I'm not sure exactly what it was that pulled me into this book when I saw it on the Blogging for Books webpage, but who doesn't want to have a good day? I did a little bit of research on the book and the author before taking a chance on it and requesting it to review because self improvement type books can definitely be hit or miss. *Blogging For Books sent me this book in exchange for an honest review*

How to Have a Good Day is the perfect balance of Caroline Webb's personal stories and experience mixed with science and facts-- she refers to this as science, steps, and stories. If you're at all interested in behavioral science this book is for you-- actually I think it's a great book for everyone to read. A large part of the book focuses on work life-- heavily on corporate careers, but also is applicable for every day life regardless of your job title. So much of the book is about how you can make these principles apply to your day.

The book is split into seven different parts, along with an introduction on the science essentials, and an appendix full of further information. Webb focuses on priorities, productivity, relationships, thinking, influence, resilience, and energy. While it's hard to choose, the sections on priorities, productivity, and thinking were my favorites. The relationships section gave so many good examples and framework for positive reframing when working with colleagues when there is a lot of tension- and put some facts to back up what seems pretty obvious most of the time-- if you're around people in a bad mood, it's likely their bad mood will rub off on you.

Overall, I see myself going back to this book quite often-- I love the practical advice and even more that it's backed up by scientific findings that are relatable and make sense. As you can see in the photo above, I had dozens of page tabs and so many notes scribbled in the margins.

Frame your day in a positive way: ask yourself what three things would make today great? 

In the part on resilience, the power of asking yourself the above question came up, and it's something I'm trying to incorporate into every day-- whether it's a lazy Saturday or a Monday where I need to be extra productive.

What books have you read and loved recently?

13 comments

  1. I like the question what three things would make today great, that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoy your book reviews.. My goal for this year is still in the works.. Read one book! I know, pathetic haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its always good to get your head in the game - that's where your good days come from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great read! I'm always interested in books with strategies to make you a little happier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like I need to get my hands on a copy of this. Sounds great. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you for having a short week! Sounds like a great book for inspiration. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I love getting these kinds of books that make me want to mark pages and just keep going back to them over and over.
    http://runwright.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started it this week! I can't wait to dig deeper into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a very neat book! Kind of sounds like Modern Romance because it has a mix of stats and personal stories. I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always down to read anything that will help me have a better day! Adding this to my must read list. Hope you're enjoying the warm weather this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds awesome. i will definitely check it out. i always like to find out the 'why' behind things, if that makes sense. makes it easier to put into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow this book seems right up my alley! I will definitely check this out!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top