Being Lazy Sets Yourself Up For Failure


Way back I participated in a linkup, What I ate Wednesday. My meals weren't anything outstanding or spectacularly healthy or anything like that, but as I was making a late breakfast last weekmonth I decided it was something I wanted to start sharing again. I struggle with food. A lot. Whether it's eating the right things, or the right amounts, at the right times, eating healthy is hard for me.



I'm going to start using My Fitness Pal to track what I eat-- we don't have a food scale or anything like that so even though it won't always be 100% accurate, I'm doing it more as a way to keep track of what I've been eating. I'm not focusing so much on the overall calories, I'm looking at things like sugars, proteins, fats, etc. In the past I've stuck with it for a week or two and then always get lazy. I have to give it credit for literally showing me that those grande vanilla lattes I was getting were filled with over half of the amount of sugar I should be getting for the entire day.

//Breakfast
Coffee is always first. On this day breakfast was three pieces of turkey bacon and egg whites with cheddar cheese and spinach. Fun fact: I really don't care for spinach, but I know it's good for me so I try and toss it into my eggs even if it's literally just three tiny pieces some days. I've also started eating yogurt every once in a while even though after like two bites I usually don't want anymore, but it is filling and I know the probiotics can't hurt.
I really like to put my eggs and turkey bacon on a sandwich thin or bagel thin, 
but as I'm trying to cut back on carbs I skipped that on this day. 
//Lunch
Lunch was a grilled cheese and tomato soup with a mini spinach salad with beets and green beans. Again with the spinach, but it was the only leafy green we had and I'm trying to eat more vegetables.
I'm really picky when it comes to frozen veggies-- especially if they have any kind of 
seasoning or sauce on them, but I am obsessed with these green beans. 
//Dinner
Dinner was Potbelly's-- which is not my favorite but it was a quick and inexpensive option on this day. I get the pizza sandwich with no meat-- super boring, but I love mushrooms.


Not pictured are the countless snacks and sweets I probably ate-- though this was from a month ago and I wasn't using MFP so I don't remember, but I'm sure it wasn't good.

Looking ahead I'm hoping to track (not count) my calories and food sources, and do more meal prepping (not just planning). I really want to push myself to cut back on carbs, and obviously sugar. Do you end to eat a lot of whole foods? What things seem to work for you when it comes to eating better during the week? 

21 comments

  1. I have a love/hate relationship with My Fitness Pal. It was definitely horrible seeing how much sugar and fat were in some of my favorite things but it's awesome for realizing what you're putting into your body! That grilled cheese looks amazing, I want that for lunch today! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I got really serious about my health, I tried tracking on My Fitness Pal and it just doesn't work for me. I would track for a few days then I would forget or not feel like it. Sometimes I would take a few bites of something and not track it and lie to myself. I find that meal planning on the same day every week is what really sets me up to be successful. On Sunday morning I sit down with coffee and plan out what I am going to make for breakfast, lunch and dinner all week. Sometimes I will scroll around on Pinterest if I am not feeling anything in particular, other weeks I have a go to list of things I can make if I dont want to put much time in to it. I go to the store and get all my supplies to get me to Saturday morning. That is what keeps me from going out to eat unplanned and keeps me on track and healthy because it is what I have in my house. But we are all different, and different things work for different people. I would say just play around with different things until you find what you can balance and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think MFP is so helpful - it really opens your eyes to what you are consuming! Even though it's not 100% accurate all the time, I still think it's a great tool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sporadically use my fitness pal and it really is eye-opening to see the details of what you are eating! I think it's great if you're starting on a fitness journey, I've used it enough that I have a general idea of what is in my go-to meals so that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Potbelly is one of my favorite places, haha! I've been missing it since we left Chicago so this has me jealous ;) I'm okay with eating healthy for the most part - I'll go a few days of doing great and then fall off the wagon pretty much every weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great Carly! I'm big on eating whole foods and organic as much as possible, as well as clean eating. You're off to a good start and I'm sure as you track what up eat longer your meals will improve, and so will your will power. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been kind of obsessed with quinoa lately, it's quick to make and you can make the tastiest salad with it. For breakfast (when I'm feeling like being extra healthy) I like to do avocado toast with an egg on top of it. Pasta is my downfall so we end up eating that a lot since it's easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go hot and cold with MyFitness Pal, I'm either great at logging everything or I totally drop off for a while. My big thing is balance, enjoy some of your favorites but balance it out with good foods filled with vitamins and protein. I've also tried to switch to organic as much as possible especially with produce, meats, and dairy. You've got this gurlie, keep up the great work <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. girl i am so with you on eating. i struggle with it a lot. i either restrict like crazy and get light headed and then binge, or i go straight to the binge eating. i need to find balance and it is so hard. i'm going to start a new 'diet' / attempt to learn how to eat properly next week.
    i hate frozen veggies with any kind of sauce so i totally get you there! i know you said you are trying to cut down on carbs, i don't know if you eat meat but something i've been doing lately is grating up zucchini in pasta - you can't see or taste it, i promise but voila - veggies! i used to hate spinach but now i eat it a lot, we throw it in anything (i've also cut it up and thrown it in pasta, that is more visible / you can actually taste it compared to the zucchini), i eat it in the place of lettuce and everything. i go on and off salads, i normally end up binge eating when i try and eat too many salads because lets be real they are boring sometimes haha.
    anyway. i am weirdly happy you love mushrooms because i feel like so many people are like hating on mushrooms but they are my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eating healthy is so hard! There's always something unhealthy that tempts me because it looks so much better. Good luck with eating healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No My Fitness Pal.

    I try to make sure I have protein, whole grain, and a little fat at breakfast. I usually do egg muffins and power breakfast muffins or fruit.

    Lunch I try to stick to salad (spinach or quinoa as base) or soup (not cream of anything).

    Dinner protein and veggies and light on the carb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been doing ok with meal planning every Sunday for dinner that week, but I definitely need to get better about the prepping and also planning for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is always a struggle for me because I just never feel hungry when I wake up but I know I need to get better about getting into some sort of morning routine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I struggle with food too. I know I need to pay more attention to sugar intake though. I don't think I could track everything I eat long-term, but seeing how much sugar I eat would probably be an eye-opener.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to get better about meal planning! Since I work from home, I usually eat whatever leftovers are in the fridge for lunch. If I plan healthy dinners, that usually sets me up for healthy meals all week since those turn into lunches as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't own a My Fitness Pal but you might have convinced me to get one. I'm pretty good at eating healthy all week long and then on the weekends I left myself cheat here and there but it would still be good to know exactly how much calories, sugars, salts etc you are consuming and cut back where necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm struggling with this right now, too. I joined Weight Watchers this week mainly just to track my food... I didn't realized how much snacking I was doing. And the wine. I may use My Fitness Pal, too. Ugh. It is so hard. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh. I am struggling with cutting carbs and macro tracking and meal prep and all that too. Here is to trying to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to track my food better too. I've been sooooo good then there's one day that I have food catered or go out to eat and just don't track anything. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The only way that I can make myself stay on track is by meal prepping for the week ahead. There's lots of good websites like Skinnytaste that will tell you exactly how much a serving is and how many servings per dish. That way it's pretty easy for me to see how much my husband and I will eat during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so bad with meal planning and prep - but I know I need to get into it because I think even though it may cut into my weekend time, I'll be less stressed in the morning when I'm always scrambling to find something to take for lunch and be able to make better choices! I think it'll save money too and Lord knows saving for a wedding and a house in the same year is going to be tough!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I m trying to be better about meal planning too, and using My Fitness Pal. Except days I eat junk I just don't put the junk food in. Which totally defeats the purpose!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top