A Few of my Favorite Things to See in DC

I think most people would agree that one of the greatest things about DC is the abundance of history that's at your fingertips-- and usually for free. I don't go down to the mall nearly as much as I'd like, but these are three of my favorite places to visit-- whether it's a quick walk through or an entire afternoon. I love that you can go see one or two things, and then move on to another museum or something else without feeling like you're not getting your money's worth.



gems & minerals @ Natural History Museum | This museum isn't exactly my favorite because it's usually the one that's the most jam packed with little kids at all times of the year. I can't remember how I stumbled upon the gems & minerals, but it quickly became one of my favorite places to visit. You can see the Hope Diamond (currently closed for renovation- to open again in March), but I prefer all of the other gems in the other rooms. It's really cool to see where they're from and the different colors and textures are simply beautiful. I guess it's pretty amazing to me to see something so stunning that came from our earth.

the first ladies @ American History Museum | Fashion and history? Check and check. It's so interesting to go through and see how fashion changed throughout the years, while learning a little bit more about each First Lady and that time period.

american paintings @ National Gallery of Art | This is my all-time favorite museum in DC. You could probably spend hours in the gift shops alone-- along with the amazing collections housed here, the architecture and design of the West Building make me feel like I've been transported somewhere else. The American Collection is my favorite area because it houses my favorite painting, I also love the French Impressionism, but it all comes down to your personal art preference I guess. There's also these little indoor garden areas that are so quiet and peaceful, an introvert's dream ;)

There are obviously dozens of other amazing things to see in every one of the museums here, but those are just my current top three. One of my goals for this year is to check out the museums I haven't visited yet. Check out my other DC related posts >> here.

16 comments

  1. Ugh I want to go to DC so bad! The gems and minerals area of the naturla history museum sounds right up my alley! Although I agree, I do hate how packed those types of museums always are! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all so wonderful, love all the museums here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved DC when we visited a few years ago! We need another trip down to see more!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought a book on the First Ladies - I'm obsessed with them more then the Presidents so I'd love that exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to go to the National Gallery more often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a while since I was down in DC doing museum things. This reignites my interest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow, it's been so long since i have been to DC's museums. i must have missed the first ladies part, that sounds super interesting. i remember the gems & minerals though, KC had spent all day in the history / science parts and i wanted to have a look at the pretty gems haha and he was suddenly hungry and over the museums. i totally agree though, it's so amazing to me that those things came from the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to visit DC and explore! Seems like such a cool city with lots of history!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the Gallery of Art! And the portrait gallery. And the Sackler haha! DC is full of great museums! It's funny seeing this post now because I've been thinking of starting a series on my blog where I visit each of the Smithsonian museums and list some of my favorite exhibits and such.
    But yeah I love living in DC! :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  10. For as many times as I've been to DC - I only went to museums when I was on a school trip! This clearly needs to change soon! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to go back to DC. I think we only went to the Natural History Museum when I went as a teenager, and there are so many new things I want to discover. You live in such a great place Carly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i need to go back!! thanks for sharing your fave things to do there. great ideas and lots of new places for me i've never explored.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to go to DC one day, thanks for these! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been to DC but it seems like such an exciting place to visit! I always hear about museums and galleries and what not. I have to go there and go to the museums, Natural History Museums always seem to attract me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome post, thank you for sharing! When I was in DC as a kid we did all the historical stuff, the monuments and whatnot, but I don't remember what—if any—museums we went to. I briefly remember a half a moment in the Smithsonian, but that doesn't count. Every time I've been back since I have neglected to soak up culture like this, but maybe that'll change when we go back in April! We still have to finalize our plans and all that. The hope diamond would be so cool to see!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this SO much - for obvious reasons! ;) I lol'ed at the kids at the Natural History Museum because I definitely went on at least a couple field trips there as a kid. I do remember seeing the Hope Diamond though! I can't wait to check out all the museums in DC, and I sincerely hope that doesn't end up being one of those things I say I'm going to do but don't actually do, haha. Whenever you want to play tour guide, just let me know! :) You live just outside of DC, right? How long does it take you to get to the city?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top