Carly Reads here | january 2016

Fates & Furies | I have so many feelings about this book! I had requested it only after seeing the cover popup everywhere-- not based on a recommendation. The story is told from two points of view, with two very different perspectives. It's about marriage, secrets, and things not appearing how they look on the outside.

I was torn between 3 and 4 stars. In one sense I hated it, but at the same time it amazed me. The first half, fates, tells the story of the husband, Lotto. I thought this part would never end, there were a lot of characters introduced and I had a hard time keeping track of everyone, plus the story jumps around a lot. But then you get to furies- which is told from the wife's perspective and everything made so much more sense. It almost (but not really) made me want to go back and read the first part over again. There was a lot more darkness than I was expecting and it left me feeling sad and not totally sure on whether or not it's something I would recommend. Groff is an amazing writer and I was continually amazed at how it was possible for her to keep so many things straight, especially from two different perspectives.
---------
The Girl on the Train | I finally read The Girl on the Train. In case you're one of the few remaining people who still hasn't read it, it's one of those books where every single character is so flawed in a million ways and you have a hard time liking any of them. I thought it was just about a random girl on a train who witnesses something happening to two strangers-- it turns out (and I don't think this is a spoiler) she's actually connected to them and I think she would have possibly ended up involved even if the train wasn't in the whole equation-- but that's just my take on it. Suspense-wise it's really good though and there got to a part in the middle where I couldn't stop reading.

I'm really excited because I just got All The Light We Cannot See from the library! I can't even remember when I started to read it the first time, but basically it took me forever to get into (plus, I think it's kind of a long one?), but I got to almost the very end, but my library loan ended before I could finish it. I should have just purchased it right after, but I wasn't sure how much I liked it so I didn't want to buy a book I wasn't 100% loving. Of course I had no idea it would take months to get it from the library again, and I'll probably have to start all the way back at the beginning. What are you looking forward to reading?

35 comments

  1. The Girl on the Train had it's ups and downs for me. The main character kinda drove me insane so there were times were I just wanted to stop reading but I'm glad I didn't! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Girl on a Train yet and I don't think I am going to. I feel like it was more hyped than it maybe should have been this year based on many of the blogger reviews I have read. I don't like reading books where I don't like any of the characters lol. Fates and Furries is all over the blog work today. I didn't know what it was about but now I do because you explained it really well. It sounds interesting, I might have to check it out for curiosity sake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked The Girl on the Train.

    I thought I would like Fates and Furies so much more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh so glad you liked the girl on the train! i agree about the characters and her getting involved regardless. also, good to hear you ended up liking the fates & furies (i almost wrote fast and furious lol), i might add it to my list after all. good luck with all the light we cannot see, that's been on my list for ages, but yeah you're spot on, it's a long one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not the biggest fan of Girl on the Train, not sure WHY it was such a OMG must read in blog land.

    I like you started All The Light We Cannot See and had it swiped back from the library. Waiting to get it back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think back on girl on the train and there were parts that I seriously loathed and just all together skipped because they were so twisted, but overall while I was reading I couldn't stop and needed to finish! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still havent read Girl on the Train... I may be the last of my kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely enjoyed Mathilde's part of the book more than Lotto's but the book didn't wow me like I'd hoped.

    The Girl on the Train was a great read despite all the main characters being completely unlikable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the suspense of Girl on the Train, but I'm with you..I hated every single character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read Girl on a Train and the Light We Cannot see. I hate when my library books expire before I finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm not a big book reader but I really want to read The Girl on the Train so yea I'm one of the few remaining people that still hasn't read it! It sounds really good though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Girl on the Train was one of those they I just did not like, but I am in the minority. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked The Girl on the Train, but it was DESPITE the characters not because of them. Personally I think that speaks to the overall story, but lots of people just hated it. I haven't read Gone Girl, which I think helped since that is what it was compared to a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl on the Train was one of my very favorite books that I read last year! I'm currently reading Secret Sisters, and it's a good one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still haven't read Girl on the Train. I'm way behind but rarely read pleasure books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm anxiously awaiting Fates and Furies from the library! Damn this book for being so popular :( I liked The Girl on the Train, but I've seen mixed reviews for it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still don't know how I feel about The Girl on the Train. All the Light We Cannot See was amazing, though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've wanted to read Fates & Furies, but now I'm torn. I was one that liked the fact that all the characters in The Girl on the Train were so despicable, yet the story was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree - I didn't like a single character in Girl on the Train! I was kind of disappointed with it. I thought it was good but not quite all it was hyped up to be. I LOVED All the Light We Cannot See so I can't wait to hear what you think about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both of those books reminds me a bit of Gone Girl - unlikeable and dark characters yet the storyline itself is so intriguing that the book keeps pulling you back in! Definitely planning on reading Girl on a Train soon (you're not the last one to have read it haha)

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  21. I started Fates and Furies on audiobook, but I have up about a half hour in because of all the characters and jumping around. I couldn't remember what I'd just heard, so I knew I wasn't going to get much out of the book. I do want to go back and give it a try when I can actually read it though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The girl on the train is such a great read. You'll love it! I'm looking up Fates & Furies now to download.

    Jessica
    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't read the girl on the train yet. I think I probably will get to it eventually but for some reason it just hasn't called to me haha!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read either of those but I'll keep an eye out for them. I've been reading more non-fiction books recently. My current is 23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism.

    http://kerencreates.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've seen Fates and Furies around and I want to add it to my TBR list, but I HATE being confused about the story for long periods of time, so I might have to consider it for a while.

    I felt the same way about Girl on the Train. I hated her, but then I felt bad, and none of the characters were remotely likeable, yet the story was still good. I was definitely torn.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really want to read Girl on the Train I've heard so many good reviews about it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Girl on The Train was a great read. Check out my review here: http://runwright.net/2015/06/17/weekly-reads-wednesday-4/
    All The Light, I haven't read yet. It felt a little too sad for me when I first picked it up. When I am in a happier place, I'll try it again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm SO glad I read your review! I've been toying with reading Fates & Furies!
    XO, Jillian
    http://rhymeandreason-jillian.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I enjoyed The Girl on the Train, but man alive the main character was hard to root for at times. I'm super excited for the movie to come out, I think Emily Blunt has been cast in it :)
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  30. I still haven't read The Girl on the Train. It's on my reading list but I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I still haven't read Girl on the Train! I have it on my to-read list for next month!

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm dying to read All The Light We Cannot See - definitely on my list. Can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That Fates & Furies one sounds interesting! I really liked The Girl on the Train. But, like you, I don't know of the train was totally necessary—although, I do think it added to the overall sense of suspense and mystery. I've heard great things about All the Light We Cannot See. I'm excited to hear how you like it!

    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  34. still haven't read girl on the train!! it's on the One Day list!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love love loved All The Light We Cannot See!! Have you read The Nightingale? It's during the same time period and I loved it even more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top