Monday, August 24, 2015
Monday, August 17, 2015
Wednesday, August 12, 2015
My husband and I
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
I have more books on the blog today! I recently read two books that I loved, and one that was just so-so. I didn't really add in too much of the description and tried to avoid any spoilers. Let me know if you've read any of these books and your thoughts on them!
Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
I was provided a copy of this book from BookSparks as part of their summer reading challenge. So this book is written in such a cool way-- each chapter flips back and forth between two "realities" based on a decision Hannah makes in the beginning of the book. Towards the end it got a little bit blurry for me to remember which storyline was which, but I kind of felt like that was the point? Or maybe not, and it was nearing 2am and I had read the book in one sitting...
Anyway, it was a bit slow during the first half, but picked up with some added excitement and drama. It's a book about the choices we make, but also so much about friendship. I found the bits about Hannah's love interest(s) to be cute, but not all that engaging-- however, I loved the friendship she had with her BFF.
The Martain by Andy Weir
It took me forever to read this book because from what I knew about it, it didn't sound like something I would gravitate towards. But seeing it on so many best of lists and hearing Kristen talk so highly about it, I decided to give it a go.
I LOVED it. Like, still can't believe how much I loved it, loved it. It's science-fiction, as someone is living on Mars for over a year, but it doesn't read like sci-fi at all, you literally feel like it could be happening right now. At the beginning of the book I was intrigued but a little concerned it was going to be like the movie Cast Away, where it's just one person and no other interactions for the entire book-- but it flips between other settings, and honestly if it would have just been Mark stuck on Mars for the entire book I probably still would have loved it. If you're on the fence about this, definitely give it a read!
Summer Secrets by Jane Green
This was another book courtesy of BookSparks, and despite not loving the last Jane Green book I read, I was excited to give this one a try... the book is about a woman who struggles with alcohol-- having a huge impact on multiple relationships throughout her life.
This was a book I just didn't really care for-- it could be partly because I read it right after The Martian, which I loved, but I also just didn't feel any kind of connection with the main character. Without giving too much away, I also wish different parts of the story wouldn't have been so rushed. Instead of there being a time lapse where she ends up with the guy, I wanted more about how that came to be.
Make sure to stop by the Show Us Your Books linkup to see what other people have been reading recently. And in case you missed it.... the book you should still add to your summer reading list.
Monday, August 10, 2015
I still feel so conflicted because I don't want summer to end, but at the same time I'm ready for fall fashion, hot drinks, all things apple, etc. A few weeks ago I added a little fall wish list to my sidebar, but thought I would share everything on it a little more in-depth today. The main things I have my eye on are boots and jackets with a very few makeup items thrown in as well. I apologize in advance for talking so much about fall in the beginning of August, but it really will be here before we know it.
2. These really cute Lucky Brand booties are a more affordable option for the Rag & Bone ones below I'm obsessed with (again).
3. So between the time I started and finished this post, this dress completely sold out. I'm not that surprised because it was under $15 and I am obsessed with the burgundy/wine color. It could be a disaster, but I decided to give this dress a try instead-- the rust color is another I'm loving for fall.
4. Blush is really the only makeup product that I'd like to add to my makeup collection. I've had my eye on MAC's make you mine for a couple of months now. It's a really pretty warm copper color with a satin finish.
5. I go back and forth on how I feel about jean jackets. I have a hard time finding jeans that fit and an even harder time finding jackets that fit, so finding the right jean jacket seems like a nearly impossible task. Combined with finding the perfect finish and detailing. But I'm actually really loving this one from J Crew! I like that it has a bit of stretch to it and I like that the wash isn't too light or too dark.
6. The infamous Rag & Bone booties-- I love them in black and the tan suede, and even though they will probably never make them into my closet, I love them too much not to share in this fall list.
7. I would have scrolled right past this jacket had I not seen it on an instagram account during the Nordstrom sale. It's actually a deep green color-- again something I would have never gravitated towards, but I could not stop thinking about it after I saw it. And it sat in my shopping cart during the entire sale-- I never gave in and ordered it because I don't *need* it, but I still think it's a great piece and love that the green could go with black, brown, denim, etc.
8. These knit blazers come in an assortment of colors and are the perfect piece to add to a pair of jeans and a tee to elevate the look a little bit.
9. Rounding out the list with another jacket. I'm loving everything about this cocoon jacket but I would probably never buy something for almost $50 from Forever 21. With that being said, assuming my size doesn't sell out, it's definitely something I would try out during a sale or with a coupon code.
What do you guys have on your radar for fall?
Wednesday, August 5, 2015
It's so sad to me that summer has already reached its final month. Where did June and July go? As ready as I am for boots and sweaters again, I wish warmer weather could stick around a little bit longer (or forever). I shouldn't write summer off quite yet because there are still a couple of weeks left and Eight Hundred Grapes is definitely a book you should still add to your summer reading list.
Monday, August 3, 2015
So its been a while, but I was reorganizing my desk/makeup situation last week and thought I would take a few pictures to show my finished project. I've gone through a bunch of different storage options while trying to figure out the most practical and functional way to store my makeup items and this is what I'm currently working with (when I don't leave my makeup shoved into my travel makeup bag).