The Healthy Mind Cookbook: a review


I love Pinterest and I love Google for finding recipes, but sometimes it's nice to just be totally unplugged and not need the internet or a device to find a new recipe. Plus, there's just something special about flipping through the pages in a cookbook, looking at the gorgeous photos (and wishing your own food could turn out half as pretty).

For my most recent Blogging for Books read I picked another cookbook. The Healthy Mind Cookbook appealed to me right away, but I was hesitant. My first thoughts were, who is this lady and what does she really know about food and our brain? Not to mention, the last cookbook I reviewed was a bit of a flop. It was beautiful, but just not realistic for recipes I would make on an average day. After reading good reviews on this one I took a chance and requested it. As soon as it arrived I knew I was in for a treat! The book's tagline is big-flavor recipes to enhance brain function, mood, memory, and mental clarity.

The quality is amazing-- everything from the photos to the format, to the variety in the recipes. The first few chapters of the book are full of so. much. information. And it's great because it's not a bunch of stuff that is totally over my head. There's a glossary (which they call the culinary pharmacy) of different foods and the benefits they have.

I'll be honest, at first I was a little turned off by the recipes. I worried they were going to be full of obscure ingredients-- or too many ingredients. I like easy when it comes to cooking. If you see the below list for a baked falafel recipe there are 17 ingredients listed. After taking a closer look I realized that the majority of the items listed were spices I already have. Lemons, chickpeas, garlic, and a red pepper are four pretty ordinary things. The only ingredient I wasn't able to find was tahini- and that's probably the only ingredient that I would purchase and maybe only use for this recipe.


I think my favorite feature of this cookbook is the 'cooks notes' section at the end of some of the recipes (above left photo). As a total novice when it comes to the kitchen I need even the most basic tips. I haven't had a chance to make any of the recipes yet, but along with the baked falafel there were about a dozen I can't wait to try out and will probably post about as we move into the new year.

This was provided to me by Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review. Based on my first impressions, and all of the information in the book, this is definitely one I would consider buying on my own for a friend or family member. Are you a fan of cookbooks or do you prefer to use Pinterest?

11 comments

  1. Sounds like a great cookbook! I do use online recipes so much that I forget to go back to my cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cookbook looks amazing. I am totally a fan of actual books - I've had a few bad experiences with recipes from Pinterest or Google, and you know if it's in a cookbook, it's actually been vetted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great choice! One of my goals for the new year is to use more actual cookbooks so I'm definitely in the market for recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that it has a notes section, there are a lot of things I amend in recipes to make my own so that is helpful! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love falafel, I've never thought of doing a baked version! This cookbook sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been requesting cookbooks from them lately too! I am with you, I love flipping through and seeing the pictures and having something tangible to look at rather than trying to keep my phone screen on and squinting! This sounds like an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been eyeing this cookbook for a little while now because I feel like I'm at the point where I need actual cook books instead of Pinterest. I want to get some healthy eating ones too so I'm not tempted by the delicious but super bad for you stuff. Blogging for books has a bunch of nice looking cook books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man, if you try that falafel recipe let me know. i have been looking for a good baked falafel recipe for ages. but yeah seriously, so many ingredients. i am normally turned off when there are more than 10 ingredients, although when they are spices they aren't so bad. you can find tahini at trader joes and the like! you can use it to make hummus as well, and i think it lasts ages so it wouldn't be a waste like some other obscure ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks interesting! I'm with you, I'm not going to follow a recipe that has me buying tons of ingredients I won't use again. I end up modifying a lot of recipes that call for pinches of obscure ingredients. Also, re: tahini, I was going to to let you know about hummus but I see Kristen already has, hah. There are other dips and stuff you can make with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cooks notes feature in that book sounds great! Most people overlook some of the basics...overlooking them has cost me once or twice on a couple of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this one too. I love a great cookbook. Sometimes it's calming to just flip through the actual pages and get inspired by the pictures.
    I review for blogging for books too. I hope you'll check out my page. Maybe we can follow and encourage each other?
    HTTP://RUNWRIGHT.NET

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top