Show Us Your Books | late fall edition

I've been meaning to talk about these books for a couple of months now, but am happy to finally get to linkup with Steph and Jana again. For most of these mini reviews I skipped over the synopsis, but if you click on the book title it will take you to the Goodreads page.

After You | This book wasn't what I was expecting, even though I didn't know what to expect if that makes any sense at all. Me Before You was one of my favorite books ever, so knowing the sequel had a lot to live up to made me a bit nervous.

The story reunites you with Louisa, while bringing back some of the other characters from Me Before You, but focuses on new relationships in Louisa's life as she's still trying to sort out what she wants to do and how to actually live her life. I really enjoyed the bits of Me Before You that were sprinkled throughout the book, but appreciated how well the book read as a stand alone book for someone who might not have previously read Me Before You. There were a couple of events in the book that I thought were a pretty big deal, that brushed over in a few pages, which was a let down, but overall this was another Moyes winner.

Necessary Lies | This book was on my to-read list forever and one day I randomly found it in the bargain book section of b&n and knew I had to pick it up. I've heard Joey, and a few others rave about the author and the book definitely lived up to all of my expectations! The story was so much deeper and complex than I realized-- until the very end. It was so sad, but so well written, and I found myself thinking about the book days after I had finished it.

The Longest Night | This book was provided to me via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. There were times I felt like this should have been called The Longest Book, because I thought it would never end. But really it wasn't that bad, it was just long and a bit slow for my taste. The story is based on true events from a nuclear accident that happened in Idaho in the 1960's. There is a lot of great character development that explores Nat's life as a stay at home mom with two young children in a new town, as well as the story of Paul (her husband) and his experience working at the nuclear reactor.

What Happened to Goodbye | This was a Sarah Dessen book I hadn't read that was available from the library. After not loving Saint Anything as much as I hoped, I don't know what made me want to read something else in the same genre, but I really liked this story. It's pretty predictable with the same girl meets boy formula, but I enjoyed the setting and loved all of the characters.

The Knockoff | Very rarely will I not finish a book, but I just could not get through this one and was kind of happy when my library loan was up and I had an excuse not to finish it. I didn't care for the characters and I found it so hard to believe that in this day and age, even someone in their 40's, working in the media world could be so clueless to social media. May have been very good in the end, I just didn't make it that far.

I'm going to end this post here to keep it from being way too long. I've read a couple of other really good books since reading these and will be back with their reviews in the next couple of weeks. There's nothing like the last minute to get me reading as many books as possible to try and at least come close to making my end of the year goal (50 books).

22 comments

  1. I don't know if I've read that one by Diane Chamberlain (it's sad that I can't keep track) but now I want to see if I have!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three of these on my TBR list now, thanks lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to add Necessary Lies to my must read next list! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to stay away from the follow up to Me Before You... I loved that book so much & I keep hearing the sequel isn't that fantastic. I'll let it live in my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too found the knockoff to be a little hard to read, but I did finish it...I'll have to add necessary lies to my never ending reading list!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed What Happened to Goodbye. I agree that it was predictable and typical, but still enjoyable enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay, definitely not adding the longest book lol or the knockoff. necessary lies is on my list! i felt the same about after you, it wasn't what i expected even though i feel like i didn't have any expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am currently waiting for After You. Me Before You was so wonderful and I know that sequels aren't usually as good as the first book but I'm still excited to read this one anyone. And I found out that the guy who played Finnick in The Hunger Games movies is going to be Will in the movie so I need to start wrapping my head around that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL @ your commentary on The Longest Night. Sometimes I feel like the books I've gotten from Netgalley are a zillion pages long.

    I like Dessen. Not all Dessen, but what I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Sarah Dessen alright. I feel like her books are a nice little read to pass the time and maybe have a warm fuzzy or something. I need to read Me Before You and I am adding Necessary Lies to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Necessary Lies sounds really good, going to check it out. Wait it's already on my TBR list. Haha! I don't know what else they can say from Me Before You, not sure if I want to read a follow up book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm cracking up at your "longest book" comment - lol! I guess I'll be skipping that one. I haven't read Me Before You/After You, but they're on my reading list ... I'm hoping to get Amazon gift cards for my Kindle for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many good books that I want to read. After you is on my list after I get through Light Between Oceans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd like to read After You, since I've read Me Before You. That author has a bunch of books so I will have to give some more of them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm SO torn about After You since I've heard most people say they were disappointed in it as a follow-up to Me Before You. I really liked Me Before You but I'm not sure it was a favorite, so maybe I run less risk of being disappointed. Glad to see your rave for it, I'm going ahead and adding it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad to hear you liked After You! I've owned it for about a month now, but haven't been able to bring myself to read it yet just in case it was a let down! I LOVED Me Before You, too - don't want anything to ruin that!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel like I've seen Sarah Dessen's name over and over again, yet nothing has convinced me to read her yet. Have you read any particular book of hers that you'd recommend? Me Before You ... I picked it up at a secondhand bookstore months ago, but I still haven't pulled it off the shelf to read it. What's wrong with me!? I get distracted by all the books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Necessary Lies sounds like an interesting read, I'll have to try and pick that one up. I also have Me Before You on my TBR list, so I'll have to keep in mind that maybe the sequel won't be as good as the original.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved "Me Before You" (after your recommendation!). I think I'll have to check out "After You".

    xoxo
    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to read Necessary Lies now! The books that you think about days later are definitely the best kind! Adding it to me to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read After You a couple of months ago and while it didn't blow me away like Me Before You did, I needed the closure. Although, now I kind of want a sequel to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm excited for After You. I have it requested at the library.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top