CBH BEST OF (2015) BOOKS


Looking back at the year, I like to try and pick my three favorite books. I actually had a few 5-star books and a lot of 4-star books, so it was hard to narrow it down. These are three books I would love to have on my physical bookshelf and would love to already read again. last year's favorite books



Starting way back at the beginning of the year Girl in Translation was a definite favorite. I loved the story, the voice, the writing. I didn't love the ending but it felt real and sometimes that's more important than the happily ever after we want. [first reviewed here]

The Martian was such an unexpected favorite-- even now I can't believe I liked it as much as I did and it's one of the reasons I am so thankful for blogging because had it not been for Kristen, and countless other amazing reviews I would have quickly passed on this one. I don't like science-fiction or fantasy or space or science, so what is the appeal? It was engaging from the first page, and even with all of the scientific lingo that I definitely did not always understand or follow, it was easy to read. Wonderful storytelling that makes you care about a person stuck alone on Mars.

As a lover of books I guess it's not the biggest surprise that I would love a book about books. And bookshops. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was such a quirky read, with a wonderful story.


And a few honorable mentions...

The Royal We lived up to all of the hype and was really fun and enjoyable to read. I definitely found myself a bit sad when it ended.

Jessica Darling's It List was another book I loved, and I still standby the statement that you really can't go wrong with anything from Megan McCafferty.

Anchored was one of my BookSparks summer reads, and it was one that kept popping into my mind when I thought of books I really enjoyed. It was light and fun, but I really loved the characters and would actually not mind reading it again in the near future.

I didn't quite make it to my goal of 50 books this year-- I'm currently at 40 and am hoping to make it to 41. I probably would have been a lot closer to 50 this year if I wouldn't have watched Gossip Girl. Speaking of TV shows, my favorite TV show of the year was probably Narcos (netflix), highly recommend if you haven't watched it yet. I'm also highly anticipating the Sherlock special later this week!

Life According to Steph

32 comments

  1. I'm re-reading The Royal We right now, it's so cute! I still need to download The Martian! Definitely next on my list. <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was tempted to add Narcos to my list of favorite shows this year too and I really loved it - more than I thought I would!! I'm torn between just watching the movie the martian instead of trying to read the book lol! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about The Martian. I don't care for sci-fi and I'm not big into space stuff (seriously, I think I am one of the 10 remaining people under the age of 45 who has not seen ANY of the Star Wars movies that were made after 1983...), so I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I think what made it such a great read for me was the combination of great writing and great character development. Mark Watney was such a trooper with a good sense of humor. He was totally likable and so easy to root for!

    Have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There it is again - the Storied Life of AJ Fikry - its everywhere!! ... that's the reading gods telling me to go get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the Martian was so amazing! I'm gonna go check out your other picks too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh sherlock special? fun!
    AJ Fikry, so much love. and I am SO glad you loved the martian, seriously, i don't know why i loved it either. i didn't expect to, i don't like space or science or anything haha. and yay the royal we <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't make it through my 50 books that I wanted to read this year either, but here's to hoping that I'll make it through a lot more next year! Based on everybody's review I think that I need to read The Storied Life of AJ Fikry, and The Royal We. I've heard great things about Narcos too, and I'm kind of mad at my husband for watching it without me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got through about half of AJ Finkry. Then I got busy and stopped reading it. But I loved how sweet it was. The Royal We is on my list to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Martian and Fikry made my list too! I'm intrigued by Girl in Translation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've gotta read the martian! it's been on my list for a bit. i've got the audiobook and need to finish it. i've made it through the first chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished The Royal We a couple of days ago and was so sad for it to end! I've got my fingers crossed for a sequel or a movie ;) Off to check out some of your other recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Martian and Fikry were on my mid-year best of list so good choices!

    I started Narcos last week. OMG. SO SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Martian and AJ Fikry made it to my best of the year list two :) and if I had listed honorable mentions, I would have put Jessica Darling's IT List on there too. Still have to read the second and third, but I agree, there's no going wrong with something written by Megan McCafferty :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved The Royal We - probably one of my favorite books from the year! I will have to check out Girl in Translation, it sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goal was 50 books too, I'm at 24 right now! Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha I ended up listing 15 books that were my favorite this year on my blog because like you, I really had a tough time deciding! So many great books, so little time (and blogging space).
    Great picks - I LOVED the Martian and I also found it to be an unexpected favorite! Have you seen the movie yet? So good!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was sad too when I finished The Royal We, I wanted to just start it all over again <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  18. Went to add Girl in Translation on goodreads, it's already on my tbr (probably from your review through this linkup). Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will have to give Girl in Translation a go since I haven't seen it around much! For a while there I watched too many shows but now I've been trying to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Martian is on my list! I need to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel the same way about The Martian! I didn't expect to love it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seeing lots of comments about The Royal We so I think I may have to pick that up! Tyler got me Pretty Girls for Christmas which he said he got because it's one that Gillian Flynn recommended so I'm excited to read that one next. I think my favourite book of the year was The Night Circus, it was definitely one of those that I didn't want to end! I know you're not a huge fan of fantasy but the characters and the story were so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never heard of any of these!!! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I am going to add some of those to my Goodreads list right now! Definitely want to read The Royal We!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i didn't make it to even 20 this year, but i did listen to a bunch of audiobooks! i loved the royal we!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Martian is one of my book challenge books so I will be reading this in the next month or so, excited!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Girl, 40 books is amazing! I haven't even had time to read one a month so you blow me out of the water :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahh, I've been looking for some new things to read—so glad to have found this post. Perfect timing!

    Also, 40 books?! Wow. I didn't keep track this year, but I'm nowhere close to that number. I'm with you—Netflix is my downfall.

    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just added these to my to-read list! I have been wanting to read The Royal We for months and really need to just make it my next book no matter what. Congrats on 40 books- that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That last one sounds very much like mind kind of book. Quirky reads tend to be right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My goal is 30 books for 2016. I just finished November 9 and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top