The Legacy of Us: a review

I had a good feeling about this book right from the first sentence when Liz mentioned watching House Hunters International and then searching for her own properties all over the world. Who doesn't watch House Hunters and do that? But really, this book wasn't quite what I was expecting, it's a bit of historical fiction mixed in with a bit of young adult or more new adult I guess you would say.

The Legacy of Us introduces you to four generations-- the main storyline being Liz. I liked her character but couldn't stand her at the same time-- there were multiple times where I was literally yelling nooooo at the book, not wanting her to make certain choices. She's your typical twenty-something trying to figure out life, family, relationships, and everything in-between. Her grandmother suddenly passes away and leaves her a necklace and her diary-- leaving Liz the opportunity to uncover some of her grandmother's secrets.

There was also the story of Liz's great-grandmother Gabriella that you hear through the diary of her Grandmother (Ella/Nan). I thought this was so well done- something switching between people and story-lines is confusing or boring, but that wasn't the case here.

The ending was slightly predictable and cheesy, but in a good way. The story really was complex with a lot of different layers and elements, but at the same time it wasn't a heavy read.

The Legacy of Us is Kristin Contino's first novel, making it perfect for a certain category in the SCWBC in case anyone is still looking... A huge thank you to BookSparks for sending me this book to read and review!

What have you read recently?

17 comments

  1. Great review girl! I totally watch House Hunters and pick out my home. I almost never pick the same house they end up picking though. Guess it works out for me then! ;) <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah I don't like it when characters do stupid stuff that I don't want them to do lol. It sounds like a decent read though, so I will keep it in mind! I'm reading Burial Rites right now for the book challenge, but I've been slacking the last couple of weeks. I really need to get back into it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time staying with a book when I don't like the main character. Sounds like otherwise it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good but not great... I think I'll add it to my 'to read eventually' list - ha! I'm almost done with Eight Hundred Grapes right now - loving that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds interesting. Though I sometimes hate when a character makes a decision that isn't where I want it to go!!! It is like watching a car wreck start to happen haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds pretty interesting! I do like when books switch between points of view or storylines (without being super confusing!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good read and I am still trying to fill that SCWBC so I may have to read it sooner rather than later! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, that sounds like a very interesting read! I'm going to look into that book!
    I just finished reading Eleanor and Park. I read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn before that and I just needed something a bit more light-hearted and easy haha. Right now, though I'm reading The Silkworm which I recall you saying was on your to-read list but I'm not sure if you had read it yet or not...
    Anyways, excuse my rambling. The Legacy of Us sounds right up my alley and I can't wait to pick it up for myself!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm this book sounds super interesting. you had me at house hunters, lol. adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great read, especially the praise for the generational overlap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i loved your review on this. it sounds pretty good!! it seems like a good one to curl up with on a rainy day. have a great weekend, carly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard of this book but now it's on my to be read list! Love your review, it sounds super interesting! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so hard for me to keep track and when time and people change with each chapter! Thanks for a great review! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a great plane book for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been trying to add new reads to my list—I might have to check this one out!

    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like such a cute and fun read! I love how you get to hear about multiple generations during the book! I might have to pick this up as my book read by another person during the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like an interesting read. I haven't heard of it before, but I may need to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top