Jackaby: a review

I finally got around to finishing a book for the Literary Ladies Book Club almost in time to link up with them! As soon as I saw the book announced, and saw it was only like $3.99 on Amazon (it's a bit more now, but still worth a read if you like the genre) I downloaded it so I didn't have any excuse not to read it-- I just got a bit sidetracked, so I'm sharing my thoughts on Jackaby a few days late of the linkup.

Going into the book about all I knew was that it was compared to Sherlock & Doctor Who. Jackaby's character definitely did resemble what I know about Sherlock Holmes-- definitely a very unique and witty-- yet likable character. If I had to compare it to other books it also reminded me slightly of The Cuckcoo's Calling in the format of the relationship of Jackaby and Abigail Rook.

It's clever and mysterious and keeps you wondering how it's all going to tie together. I liked that it wasn't ever too gruesome or dark-- admittedly, I don't usually care for fantasy, but the supernatural element to this book didn't bother me because it wasn't that serious. Think Casper the friendly ghost. I'm not sure if it's technically considered a YA novel, but I think it would read well for middle grades too.

If you're a fan of mystery with a bit of fantasy thrown in, and you like YA literature I would give this a read. I love that the girls picked this book, because it got me to read something I would have probably never gravitated towards otherwise!


In other book news, the Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge has officially started. I have most of my list picked out, and am currently experiencing that thing where all of your library books on hold become available at the same time and you go into a slight panic trying to figure out how you'll read them all  in 21 days. Anyway, if you're interested in seeing my list I have it HERE-- make sure to check out Megan's blog if you want to join in- it runs through January!

This year I've also been working towards an Authors A-Z challenge. In January it seemed totally possible, but with just under two months of the year left I'm not very close. I got the letters I thought would be tricky-- Q & Z, but am somehow still missing letters I thought would be pretty easy!

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm looking forward to one more day of 70+ temperatures, which makes my heart so happy! TGIF!

19 comments

  1. I'm not sure this is one I would normally read but you steered me in the right direction with BigLaw so I might need try this one too! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i kind of struggled with some of the letters for the A-Z challenges as well, and I'm totally okay with not completing them lol. I don't want to read books just for the sake of it. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, and now you've got me intrigued for the cuckoos calling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover of this book! I've heard mixed things about it but I think I'm intrigued enough to give it a try! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which letters are you still missing??? Throw them out here and I bet you any money someone will be able to give you a good suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get over how much I love the cover of this book, and I like that it's not too gruesome! I may give it a try in the coming months.

    Happy Friday gurlie Green Fashionista<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe its going up to 79 today! Ahh! I need to get one some more reading challenges. I didn't do so well this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read a lot of YA or fantasy themed books, so I think that I probably would't like it as much. With that being said I do like mystery novels so if there is some mystery in there then it would be my kind of book. I'm so excited for the reading challenge! I finally finished my first book, The Silkworm and the ending turned out better than I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I juuuust joined the Literary Ladies bookclub on Goodreads! I browsed the list of books you guys have been reading and wow those are some great selections! I think this will keep me motivated to read more diverse books in a timely manner. Thanks!
    Also, interesting review of Jackaby. I heard a lot of comparisons to Sherlock Holmes as well (which definitely piqued my interest) but the comparison to Cormoran Strike is pretty interesting as well. I think I'm gonna check it out because I don't mind a bit of fantasy in my books haha.

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might have to jump on the book challenge if I can find all the book on my TBR list. I didn't do well last year but I finished a challenge this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure this one is up my alley, but you always have great picks so I may have to add it to my list. A book challenge would be awesome! I wish I had time to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of my library books seem to come available at the same time too! And then I find myself reading during every possible available moment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't read that one and to be honest, it's not really my thing so I won't likely add it to my list, BUT I do have to say that I am in love with that platter/tray thing you have pictured up there! It's like... speaking to my soul or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is on my list, because I'm a huge Doctor Who fan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might have to jump in on the challenge! Sounds like fun and a good way to help me pick out my next books. I always spend way too much time in Barnes and Noble trying to decide what to read next!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's why i love this series--i learn about books i never would have checked out otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard a lot about this book and Jackaby sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I wish I could read that much. I absolutely love reading but just don't have time to read more than one or two books a month. One of my Bible studies at church just ended though so that'll free up a little time since that required reading 2 books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like I found my next book - mystery is my fav and I've loved every book you've recommended!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top