Thoughts on Blue Apron 21 Meals Later

I can't even begin to tell you how long ago I meant to write this post. A lot of the time, not having photos is what holds me up, but I had plenty of food photos from our Blue Apron meals, I just couldn't sort out how I wanted to talk about everything I guess. But here I am, finally sharing our experience using Blue Apron for 7 weeks.


If you're unfamiliar with Blue Apron it's a meal service that sends you 3 meals / week. All of the ingredients come ready to go all you have to do is chop everything up and cook. Based on whether or not you eat meat, and what types of meat you eat there are some options when setting up your profile. The above photo will give you a good idea of how all of your ingredients arrive.

We left everything checked and get six options each week, three of which are always vegetarian, so if you want a meat dish you essentially don't get a choice. You pick a ship date and your items are delivered... we did this during the summer when it was extremely hot and thankfully didn't have any issues with our items not being kept cold.

While I'm on the subject of shipping we did end up having some major issues with our food arriving in a timely manner. The first couple of weeks went well-- then things started to get sketchy with the delivery as it switched to Lasership and our boxes were showing up at like 11pm even though Blue Apron listed that our food would arrive by 8pm. When your earliest ship date available is a Wednesday, and the food isn't coming until 11pm, that kind of means you're having to cook your meals over the weekend which is not what we wanted, and a big part of the reason we took a break from using the service. Depending on where you live the delivery dates may vary.

As for the actual meals, my husband was a bigger fan of the dishes, out of 21 meals there were only 2 that I liked enough to either recreate on our own, or choose again if they came up as another option. Interestingly enough both were vegetarian pasta dishes.

A lot of the meals were just so-so. Little things like a stir-fry recipe coming with chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts or being sent eggplants for like three weeks in a row. One of the meals had a sicilian eggplant caponata and it was hands down one of the worst tasting things I've ever tried in my life. Usually nothing was that bad-- just not amazingly delicious.

the crispy catfish with sicilian eggplant caponata I mentioned-- this was also when I realized that I don't care for catfish-- it was at least edible, the caponata went into the trash after one bite!
The biggest positive for us was the effort and time (and money!) it saved when it came to grocery shopping and meal planning. I go through phases of planning meals, but sometimes it starts to feel like a chore trying to come up with different things to make each week so Blue Apron really took the thought out of that. We were spending a lot of money each week on groceries, so for us the $59.99 for three meals, was actually cheaper. We obviously still went to the store, but we weren't doing major shops each week.

L to R: lamb burgers with baked zucchini, chicken milanese with summer corn & cucumber salad; spiced meatballs with summer squash & garlic toast
We enjoyed all three of the above meals-- but not enough that we'd ever try and make them on our own. As much as I like lamb, I don't see myself ever having another lamb burger so it was nice to try something totally different. The chicken milanese was basically just like any breaded chicken, but it was good enough, and the spiced meatballs were good, but I didn't like the squash with them. The zucchini rounds were supposed to be fried, but I baked them instead and we made the lamb burgers on the grill as opposed to on the stove.

summer bean & mushroom pasta with crispy shallot rings
I know this one doesn't look like much but it was easily my favorite! You may notice it calls for mushrooms and there are none... even though I loooove mushrooms. When we went to make this dish I thought they smelled weird (I'm paranoid about food being bad), so we left them out of my dish. He added them into his and was totally fine, so I probably missed out, but I still loved this. And the shallots taste exactly like the french fried onions you put on green bean casserole!

Overall, I would recommend Blue Apron to anyone who is interested in trying new things-- or not very picky when it comes to food... for anyone who doesn't like meal planning or grocery shopping... for anyone who wants to avoid food waste and not have to deal with buying large amounts of odd ingredients for just one dish.

After the shipping issues, and just not being too thrilled with any of the options we've skipped the last 5 weeks, but have another box coming at the end of this month. Have you ever tried Blue Apron or a similar service?  

30 comments

  1. We tried Blue Apron and it was fun trying new recipes but golly were the portions tiny. If we ever use the service will have to supplement with extra protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spiced meatballs sound amazing but I agree, maybe not with the squash. And the summer bean and mushroom pasta sounds amazing! The shipping part sounds annoying though. I'm not even up at 11 pm to get something delivered! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to try blue apron but I looked over the site and didn't find much I thought I would enjoy... Your choices seem good though.. I'll have to take a look again. I get home after 6-6:30 and nobody wants to cook that late!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a free week of Blue Apron and I liked it but couldn't justify the price. It's just me so that'll get pricey. Too bad that you didn't 100% love it or else I would give them another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with all of your likes and dislikes - the amount of money and time it saves it what always keeps me coming back!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been contemplating trying Blue Apron for so long, but for some reason I just can't click the "purchase button". I've heard mixed reviews... maybe one day I will finally cave and give it a go... Maybe when it's snowing and I'm too cold to go out to the store :)

    Amanda
    http://anchoredtosunshine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. My biggest issue with Blue Apron is that the portions seem to be only enough for one meal - and we love our leftovers! At least at the grocery store when we spend $20 on a meal, the two of us can eat it for a few days. Otherwise I feel like I would be all over it because meal planning is one of my least favorite things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like an interesting service, it would be pretty convenient to have someone else plan your meals. I'd like it if you could choose what sort of things they deliver, because I can be picky with food sometimes lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been hearing more and more about this lately from non-bloggers, so it definitely piqued my curiosity and I've been meaning to look into it and do a bit more research. Thanks so much for this honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely like the idea of trying Blue Apron to expand on my recipes and meal ideas. There are some down sides, for sure, but why not try it for a week or two with that price tag... we tend to spend a lot at the grocery store, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be my issue - I'm UBER picky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like some of the others I love the idea of Blue Apron, but I know my husband's appetite and this wouldn't be nearly enough food lol. But love the idea for a quick and easy weeknight meal.

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried Blue Apron and Hello Fresh and liked Hello Fresh a lot better. The food/meals were better and I liked the way it was packaged!

    xo, Chelsie @ Life with Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to read your honest review and it sucks you only really liked 2 of them enough but I guess it was good to experience and try some new things even if you can recreate some and tweak them with ingredients you prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've seen lots of reviews on a free meal, but none on all of these many meals later. i'm glad to hear your honesty!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love love love this honest review Carly!! I keep being enticed by Blue Apron reviews but I think I'm firmly in the 'not for me' camp after your post. We are just too picky and KC eats SO much. There is no way I would eat that cat fish or the side, and meatballs with squash? That's weird. That last dish with the crispy shallots looks amazing though. I get overwhelmed / bored with meal planning easily, but at least I'm in control of what we eat and with what, you know? Sometimes it's a frozen pizza, but hey. It works lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious! I wanted to try Blue Apron but they don't deliver where I live :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I appreciate your honest thoughts about this service because we've been thinking about trying it ourselves - with Ryan's crazy work schedule, grocery shopping can be a pain! I'm a little worried now about some of the recipes because it doesn't seem like I would like anything except for the pasta dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how honest your review was. I have read so many posts where people rave about it and I have even gone on their site and poked around. I think that my husband and I might be a little too picky about certain things to enjoy this. Plus the portion size wouldn't work for him. Honestly, I don't mind meal planning and grocery shopping. While I would love to save money, I don't think this would be right for us and I am glad I read your review so I can drop the indecisiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually don't super mind meal planning. I'm not sure that this would be a good option for us, but I love reading reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I'm so glad you wrote a post about this because I have been wanting to try it. Shipping is already sketchy enough to an apartment so I'm not sure that this would work for me. I appreciate the honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm wayyyyy too picky. But I love this concept!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the honest post. I am so picky I don't think it would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for this in depth review. I'm so on the fence with these meal service things. I'm partly picky (I don't mean to be!) but it seems like such a simple thing to cut out some headache on our end. We end up spending SO MUCH MONEY eating out because i don't have any food in the house and don't care to go shopping. I guess it might be worth just TRYING.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved blue apron also. It seems to be the cheapest of the services out there too which is another plus and the meals were great. Just stumbled across your blog. Love it!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've enjoyed Blue Apron. I found it fun to make meals and ideas I would have never put together.

    Jessica xo
    http://www.thewaytomyhart.com/2015/10/fringe-crochet-sweater.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have really wondered about this! My husband and I were looking into it. I think it would be pretty fun, but I don't know if it would necessarily be more cost/time efficient for us. Those lamb burgers look delicious, though... I would have never thought to make a burger out of lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really liked it when we tried it but we only did it for a week. Good to hear this longer review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My friend actually recently brought over his Blue Apron box and created an amazing meal for us. I have been meaning to try it. Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Reading this post because I saw it on your sidebar while reading your latest books review :). It's awesome that you tried the service for a good amount of time before posting a review. So much more helpful than other bloggers that just rec it after ONE meal. I think if I were in a rut (which seems like always LOL), I'd try the service just to get new recipes but the food amount might not be enough for us since we eat leftovers for lunch the next day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top