BIGLAW: a review

You know when you read a book and then the day or so after you finish it you find yourself thinking about the characters, and then you get sad when you remember you finished the book? That was how I felt about BigLaw by Lindsay Cameron. There was a pretty big gap in when I started the book, and read the first few chapters, and then eventually finished the book in one setting. It wasn't because I wasn't into it at the beginning, for whatever reason I just didn't find the time to pick it up again right away. A huge thank you to BookSparks for providing me with the book to review as a part of the Fall Reading Challenge. 

You can read the full synopsis on Goodreads, but basically it's about a woman working in one of the huge New York law firms. It reminded me a little bit of Suits, but more realistic. I definitely kept picturing Lewis Litt as one of the characters in the book. The story follows Mackenzie as she navigates working for demanding partners, keeping up friendships and her relationship, and competitiveness in the firm.   

I enjoyed every bit of it, but it was completely predictable from pretty early on. There was a lot of obvious foreshadowing, but that didn't take away from the suspense of how everything would play out in the end. The book really kept up at a great pace that kept you wanting to know more. Lindsay Cameron is a former lawyer, so I imagine a lot of the characters and things that happened were from her personal experience. I really enjoyed her voice and would love to see something else from her in the future!

What have you read recently? Any new recommendations? 

[Linking up with Joey for Stuff & Things]

19 comments

  1. Ooh! Adding this to my to-read immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun book to read and not one that makes you think too hard. Really like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually like stuff like this. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow - considering I used to work for a huge law firm I'm really interested in reading this book! Added it to my wish list! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate finishing a good book! It's so sad! I might have to check this one out when I'm done reading the book I'm currently reading! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an interesting read! I sort of fell off the reading wagon lately but I'm doing a reading challenge next month so that's when I'm saving all of my to-read books for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I might just have to pick this one up. I've been looking for something new to read! I'm reading "The Happiness Project" right now, which I know a lot of people just loooove. But, if I'm being honest, I just can't really get into it.

    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Suits so I bet I would like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just added it to my "to read" list! It sounds a lot like a Julie James book I finished not too long ago called Practice Makes Perfect. I think I would really like this one- thanks for reviewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one sounds like an interesting read! I like books that leave you feeling like you had something invested in the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been meaning to start a new book. Thanks for the recommendation :)

    Jessica
    http://www.thewaytomyhart.com/2015/10/fringe-crochet-sweater.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay adding this to my list. I just finished Luckiest Girl Alive. I'm still torn on my feelings about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been enjoying finally having time to read more and have started a long Book Wish List. I'm adding this to this list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooh sounds fun! adding it to my list, i don't mind a little bit of predictability sometimes lol. i used to like suits, i binge watched a few seasons but then stopped watching, not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adding this to my list on goodreads - That bittersweet feeling of finishing an excellent book was all too familiar and if this book makes you feel that way, I want in too!
    Thanks for the recommendation!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review!! I know exactly what you mean about characters...some of them sure stick with you, even for years to come!!

    Melissa | So About What I Said

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo! I will have to check this out - I always enjoy this kind of stuff with John being a lawyer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the show Suits so I will definitely have to read this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top