Reading Lately

I keep wanting to revive this little space of mine, but then things happen and posts sit half finished in my drafts for weeks. I finished up the BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge and am so grateful for the amazing books I was able to read-- including Anchored and A Window Opens on this list-- both were sent to me to read & review. I attempted (and failed) a few other reading challenges this summer, but had so much fun picking out categories and seeing what other bloggers were also reading. I'm currently at 29 books out of 50 for my goal this year... so I feel like it's still possible! Especially as we go into winter where I'll never feel like leaving the house. Anyway, here are a few recent reads...


Anchored // This book was one of my favorites from the summer, and it was completely unexpected! I received it from BookSparks, but aside from that I hadn't heard anything about it. I still haven't heard very much about it, which is such a shame because it was such a good read. The story follows a news anchor, and as someone who pretty regularly watches the evening news, it was interesting to see all of the behind the scenes things (though I obviously have no idea how accurate they are). While I didn't agree with all of Barbara's decisions, I found the characters likable and was not ready for the story to end when the book was over. If you're into chicklit, definitely add this one to your tbr list!

Saint Anything // I'll start by saying I've always been a huge Sarah Dessen fan. I also will start by saying the first time I tried to read Saint Anything I had re-read This Lullaby like a week before, and that is one of my favorite books ever. I think having that one so fresh in my mind made me have a hard time getting into Saint Anything. Three months later or so I picked it up again and finished it and still felt kind of underwhelemed. The story is about a girl, Sydney, who is trying to navigate life after her brother goes to jail for severely injuring someone after hitting him in his car.

There were parts of the story that I liked, but overall it was too much of the same with no forward progress. I still don't see the point of Sydney's brother's friend, Ames. I think he could have easily been removed from the storyline and there would have still been more than enough going on. I did love the Chathams, and loved their friendship with Sydney-- and there were a few swoon-worthy moments. If you like YA, I think it's definitely worth a read, I just didn't love it as much as a few of her other books.

A Window Opens // I adored this book. The plot wasn't anything new, and it was on the predictable side, but everything happened at the perfect pace to keep you wondering what was going to happen next. As much as I'd categorize it as a light read, there are a few heavy issues that Egan discusses at the same time.

Luckiest Girl Alive // I was so excited to finally read this after seeing it on Reese Witherspoon's instagram, plus hearing so many of you guys talk about it. It had been compared to Gone Girl so I was expecting the same element of mystery or suspense, but it was never there for me. It was sad. I felt like it was 300+ pages of awful things that had happened to someone. Aside from that I can't quite put my finger on what I didn't like about it, but from the beginning I almost put it down probably a dozen times because I just didn't care what happened in the end. I actually might have blocked the entire book from my memory I disliked it that much, haha. This was definitely the biggest let down I've read in a long time-- but tons of people love it!

The Storied Life of AJ Firky // This one was another amazing Kristen recommendation that I LOVED, and was easily one of my favorite books ever. It has a very different, almost quirky element to it, and I could almost see it done as a Wes Anderson film.  My description would never do it justice, so just check out the synopsis and reviews on Goodreads. I would recommend this to anyone who loves books and reading.

What have you read lately? Did anyone else dislike Luckiest Girl Alive as much as I did?

29 comments

  1. Oh no! Sorry to hear you were so let down by Luckiest Girl Alive. I didn't hate it but truthfully, I don't remember it so obviously it wasn't that great. I just finished reading it less than a month ago and I honestly don't remember anything about it!
    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer about Luckiest girl, I just finished Girl on the Train and kind of felt the same way. Not sad, but what the HECK was all the hype about? I'm putting a few of your books on my to read list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anchored sounds like my kind of book! I'm sorry you didn't like Luckiest Girl alive - I will admit after reading it I needed something light and fluffy! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Luckiest Girl Alive on hold at the library, but based on your review, I'm not sure I'll even like it! Anchored sounds like a cute read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely putting Anchored on my library list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm bummed to see that The Luckiest Girl Alive wasn't awesome. I bought it not long ago but haven't started it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was also very disappointed with The Luckiest Girl Alive, especially since it was compared to Gone Girl. This book had no purpose except for showcasing different levels of bad things that could happen to people. I barely got through that book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing Luckiest Girl Alive everywhere, that's so strange that it wasn't a good book! Sometimes I think books get hyped up so much but when it comes down to aren't that good. That's kind of how I felt about Girl on the Train. Not as good as everyone said it would be!
    Ally- Life as I know it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to check out some of these♥

    chocolateandsunset.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sucks when a book doesn't live up to the hype! Honestly, I don't know if I've ever read a hyped up book and really disliked it. I usually at least like them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to get that Sarah Dessen book then! I love her writing but I haven't read her in a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man... I hate when I'm looking forward to a book & it never just really gets going for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Booo to the Luckiest Girl Alive being a let down, I was so excited about that one :-P

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read anything by Sarah Dessen and I know I need to fix that soon because I've heard nothing but amazing things! Which one should I start with?

    xo, Chelsie @ Life with Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Disappointing that Saint Anything was underwhelming...but they can't all be winners right? - Svetlana @Life With a Side of Wine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bummer about The Luckiest Girl Alive - I was just going to pick that one up, but now I may move it down the list. I need to check out a Sarah Dessen books, I hear such great things about them from everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hated Luckiest Girl. A lot.

    I also hate when I'm underwhelmed by a tried and true author!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh NO! LGA is on my list but maybe now I will skip it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had the exact same experience with the Luckiest Girl Alive!!! I just completely hated it. Whenever I hear someone say they are thinking about reading it I immediately warn them! So far I have convinced 4 people not to waste their time with it haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. THIS LULLABY <3333 It's definitely my favorite Dessen novel and one of my favorite novels ever. Hate Spinnerbait!

    Also, was gonna add The Luckiest Girl Alive to my list but after reading a few negative reviews, I've knocked it down a few pegs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many people I know disliked Luckiest Girl Alive. Anchored sounds like worth a read, checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard such mixed reviews about Luckiest Girl Alive but I'm still SO intrigued by it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ooh so many I want to check out--like the first one. it seems different from what i would normally read. i read the royal we, and the rest are audiobooks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have the Luckiest Girl Alive in my library queue but may remove it now after your review. What a bummer! I'm reading Maybe In Another Life and really like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. A.J. Fikry has been on my list for some time, and I really think I need to bump it up in the queue now. Going to add a few of these to my TBR now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really need to step up my reading game as I haven't read any of these! I think I'm going to start with A Window Opens since you like it so much!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  27. i am so glad you loved AJ Fikry! I totally know what you mean about Saint Anything. I felt like that Ames guy was just annoying and creepy, and it wasn't necessary, and when it did 'blow up' it was just like um how did you not realise this guy shouldn't be around your daughter before this?! as if. anyway lol. girl you can totally meet your goal of 50 books, audiobooks might help if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great reviews! I definitely need to take a trip to Barnes and Noble soon!

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  29. My problem with Luckiest Girl Alive was that I hated every character in the book. I'm definitely going to check out a few of these :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top