Show Us Your Books: August

I have more books on the blog today! I recently read two books that I loved, and one that was just so-so. I didn't really add in too much of the description and tried to avoid any spoilers. Let me know if you've read any of these books and your thoughts on them! 


Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
I was provided a copy of this book from BookSparks as part of their summer reading challenge. So this book is written in such a cool way-- each chapter flips back and forth between two "realities" based on a decision Hannah makes in the beginning of the book. Towards the end it got a little bit blurry for me to remember which storyline was which, but I kind of felt like that was the point? Or maybe not, and it was nearing 2am and I had read the book in one sitting...

Anyway, it was a bit slow during the first half, but picked up with some added excitement and drama. It's a book about the choices we make, but also so much about friendship. I found the bits about Hannah's love interest(s) to be cute, but not all that engaging-- however, I loved the friendship she had with her BFF.

The Martain by Andy Weir
It took me forever to read this book because from what I knew about it, it didn't sound like something I would gravitate towards. But seeing it on so many best of lists and hearing Kristen talk so highly about it, I decided to give it a go.

I LOVED it. Like, still can't believe how much I loved it, loved it. It's science-fiction, as someone is living on Mars for over a year, but it doesn't read like sci-fi at all, you literally feel like it could be happening right now. At the beginning of the book I was intrigued but a little concerned it was going to be like the movie Cast Away, where it's just one person and no other interactions for the entire book-- but it flips between other settings, and honestly if it would have just been Mark stuck on Mars for the entire book I probably still would have loved it. If you're on the fence about this, definitely give it a read!

Summer Secrets by Jane Green
This was another book courtesy of BookSparks, and despite not loving the last Jane Green book I read, I was excited to give this one a try... the book is about a woman who struggles with alcohol-- having a huge impact on multiple relationships throughout her life.

This was a book I just didn't really care for-- it could be partly because I read it right after The Martian, which I loved, but I also just didn't feel any kind of connection with the main character. Without giving too much away, I also wish different parts of the story wouldn't have been so rushed. Instead of there being a time lapse where she ends up with the guy, I wanted more about how that came to be.

Make sure to stop by the Show Us Your Books linkup to see what other people have been reading recently. And in case you missed it.... the book you should still add to your summer reading list.

36 comments

  1. I want to read the Martian but was scared it'd be too science fiction-y for me. After your review I'll definitely pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally just finished Maybe In Another Life like 20 mins ago on the train and I thought it was so cute! I loved the parallel universes and how everyone was still intertwined but in different forms and how Hannah and Gabby were always the soul mates. So cute!

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Beach House by Jane Green and didn't care for it, I am going to try another book of hers but I don't have high hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously loved Maybe in Another Life - i couldn't put it down because I was like which life is better for her!! I've heard only good things about the martian but since it's not my usual kind of book I'm scared lol! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer Secrets was on my to-read list... but I may be taking it off now haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe In Another Life sounds like something I'd enjoy! Oh, and I added Eight Hundred Grapes to my Kindle list - I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the martian is hands down, one of my fav books of 2015. i gave it to my SVP and he LOVED it as well; then he proceeded to recommend it to all of his friends too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, my friend recently did a book review of The Martian on my blog and I'm reading it myself! It's so incredible!! It's just so amazing!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok. I think you are finally the person to encourage me to read The Martian. Because like you, I have ZERO interest in sci-fi or anything of that nature. But now I'm super intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhh! i am seriously so stoked that you loved the martian. it's seriously how i felt about it as well. what a fabulous book! it took awhile for me to get over it, each book i read after it couldn't compare!
    maybe in another life sounds super cute - adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree about Summer Secrets. Parts of it should have been fleshed out better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jane Green books are hit or miss for me.

    I loved The Martian too and never thought I would!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone loves The Martian but I just don't feel like it will click with me! I definitely want to check out Maybe in Another Life, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MUST. READ. THESE. I just finished up the second never never by colleen hoover, the silent wife, and leaving time. All were very good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a big science fiction fan at all but I definitely want to read The Martian now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES to The Martian!! One of my favorites of the year!! I have the new TJR on hold at the library. I've read her other books and expect to feel similarly about the new one but I like her so why not read it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE your review on The Martian! And I think I may need to add that and Maybe in Another Life to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep holding off on The Martian till the movie because I'm afraid I wont understand the book

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for such honest reviews. I'm intrigued by the martian one in particular after your review because I love most of what we have both read!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes yes yes to The Martian. My favorite book of the year! So witty and humorous and a great pace. I can't wait for the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really want to read The Martian, especially since they made a movie out of it so I'd be curious to read the book first. It's good to hear that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've had a hold on The Martian audio book since last month when a ton of people recommended it, I'm still waiting for it to come in but I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm reading Summer Secrets right now and just cannot get into it. I keep putting it down for something else. I have Maybe in Another Life on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  24. With The Martian, I was at about page 50, and I thought..."this has to get better because so many people like it"...then, it just clicked for me. I thought the characters were so well written!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Regarding The Martian, I was mentally comparing it to Cast Away too, both before I read it and for the first bit (I don't know how many pages since i listened to the audiobook!). But like you, I was really pleasantly surprised when it introduced other narratives. I love when a book really smoothly moves between different POVs. I cannot wait to see the movie too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so skeptical of The Martian but because SO many people love it, I'm going to have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Martian was one of the best books I've ever read! (well, actually I listened to it, haha)...I've been recommending it like crazy, and everyone else has loved it too!! Can't wait for the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I felt the same way about The Martian. Like, it could have happened in 2015. Also, the main character was silly, which I appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Martian has been on my "To Read" list for a while. I really need to put it on hold at the library since I know the list is already pretty long!

    I think I'll check out Maybe in Another Life. I don't read a ton of chick lit books (I'm assuming this one falls under that category based on the information on Goodreads), but I've enjoyed several in the past and this sounds intriguing. I love that the story shifts between two different realities based on a single decision made at the beginning of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My Dad was going on and on about The Martian recently, but he's super into science fiction so I didn't think it would be something I'd be interested in. I might take another look now that you said you loved it! He had a similar impression of it to you - he seemed to particularly enjoy it because even though it's fiction it wasn't SO outside of the realm of possibility (and he said a lot of the science actually makes sense, which would be something I would never know haha)

    ReplyDelete
  31. All three of these are on my list to read! Sometimes a really good book can totally ruin the book after it so I completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I also keep hearing The Martian is good for non-sci-fi fans; I will have to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVED the Martian too! It was just like, beyond amazing. I devoured it. It's the best book I've read, easily, since Gone Girl. Can't wait to check out the movie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top