beignets for two please!


My husband and I recently returned from a trip to New Orleans and I'm convinced it needs to be on everyone's vacation list. We had both visited once before (separately), but this was the first time either of us were there just for fun. New Orleans has something for everyone-- so much history, so much good food, beautiful parks, gardens, and nature options. Then there's also the obvious never-ending nightlife options, though I'll be honest, we avoided Bourbon Street as much as possible.



The French Quarter is small but there is plenty to see, and our hotel was right on the edge (bottom? left? I still don't get the directions there!), which was nice because we were only a few blocks from the St. Charles Streetcar line that takes you to the Garden District. We stayed at the Hyatt French Quarter and we would both recommend it and probably stay there again. Everything from the service at the hotel to our room was really nice.


We did a lot of walking around-- checked out the Mississippi River, the French Market, Jackson Square-- the usual spots in the French Quarter. We both really enjoyed Royal Street-- there are a lot of little shops and art galleries. A few of the days the street was blocked off and there were artists of all kinds painting, drawing, writing, playing music...

Outside of the French Quarter, we really enjoyed Magazine Street. It had more of a neighborhood type feel and a lot of fun little shops as well. The Garden District was our favorite location in the city. There's so much history and beautiful architecture.
One of the days we took a bike tour (after reading Tiffany's blog post about it) and had a fun time rolling from the French Quarter through the Lower Garden District to the Lafayette Cemetery #1. I highly recommend bikes for getting around. We enjoyed the tour and the little bits that we learned, but we both agreed we would have rather just been able to ride on our own. I didn't get very  many pictures from the tour but seriously check out Tiffany's post- I think she did the same tour.

Another day we took the streetcar out to the Audubon Park and walked around the loop-- it's a great spot for running (or biking) and it was fun to see all of the beautiful houses that back up to the park.

I'll be back for a second post with all things food... the majority of my pictures were of food! Also, my pictures are kind of lackluster, I got a new phone right before we left and I thought the quality would be a lot better! I'm linking up with Emily for Wanderlust Wednesday.

 Have you ever visited New Orleans? What was your favorite thing about it?

30 comments

  1. Literally saved this post since we're going in October!! I'm so excited to have beignets and just see all the history!!! I can't ride a bike but maybe by October I will have learned lol! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've never been but really want to go! Sounds like a fun trip and I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh so jealous! I've always wanted to go to New Orleans! I'm hoping to get to go with B in Oct! I need a beignet in my life. Or 10. Whatever. LOL! Can't wait to hear all about the food!

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities in the world. SO much culture and the food is divine! I love Cafe du Monde, such a delicious and historical place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had a great trip!! There is so much to see and do there - not to mention the food! Now I'm craving beignets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to visit someday... it sounds like such a blast! I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT THE FOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been. I'm going for the first time in February!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh how fun! I have been to NOLA once, but it was several years ago and was very alcohol themed lol. I'd love to go back with KC and eat all the food, which I can't wait to hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been, but I hope to add it to the list soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would really like to go to New Orleans! It looks beautiful and of course I love eating tasty foods! I think that after I move to the south it will be really convenient to go to all of these sweet places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad that you had a nice vacation! Neither Ryan and I have ever visited NOLA, but it looks like a fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds awesome!! I was in Louisiana in college for a service trip and we spent a couple of days at the end in NOLA, and it was AWESOME!! I'd love to bring my husband back :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Taking mental notes because I'm heading to NOLA in just a few weeks and want to fit in as much exploring, site-seeing, eating, and tours as we can. Renting bikes is also a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This makes me so excited because we are going to New Orleans next summer! I really really really want to experience ALL of the food there and am saving this post! Thanks, Lady!

    xo, Chelsie @ Life with Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been to NOLA many times - work trip, girls' trips, trip for the Sugar Bowl, trip with a group of friends - but never just with my guy and me. Sounds like a really great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I love NOLA! And hands down the beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde are the best <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow this looks like a very fun vacation indeed! NOLA has been one of the places on my 'to-travel' list for a long time and your photos make me wanna go there even more!!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  18. i can't believe i STILL haven't been here and it's so close, relatively (like a 2 hour flight) :) a city on my list! good snapshot of the city, girl!

    cheshirekatblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amaaaaazing! New Orleans is totally on my vacation destination list! Until then, I am definitely living vicariously through these kinds of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've wanted to visit there forever. It was even on my list of places to move to, sight unseen, each time I went through a "I have to leave New Jersey and start my life completely over somewhere far, far away" but...obviously that never ended up happening haha. I do hope to go in the next year or two though, so thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been dying to go to New Orleans!! John has been several times, but it's been on my bucket list for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So fun! I have never been and am dying to go! Even just for one of those beignets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all the pics! I've been to New Orleans once, but it was for a wedding, so we didn't have a ton of time to explore the city. Mostly the bars... I need to go back and check some things off my list that I missed. xo, Carly soak and simmer

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fun! I've always wanted to go to New Orleans; I've never been to Louisiana at all. I will definitely have to put the bike tour on my list when I go—I love bike tours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It really is such a neat place! Cafe du Monde is to die for! Love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These pictures look like so much fun! I can't wait to visit NOLA in December!

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I need to visit ASAP, it is just so beautiful and I love all the older mansions. The bike tours look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have wanted to go to New Orleans for ever, but I just haven't made it there. It's actually not tooooo far away from me (we could drive).
    Everything just looks so dreamy in your photos... that has got to be just such an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have wanted to go to New Orleans for ever, but I just haven't made it there. It's actually not tooooo far away from me (we could drive).
    Everything just looks so dreamy in your photos... that has got to be just such an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top