My New Roots: a review

I was extremely excited to try out a cookbook from Blogging for Books, who sent me this book in exchange for an honest review. I was even more excited when I saw My New Roots was available. I love root vegetables-- they're my absolute favorite, and something I rarely cook with at home because I don't know very many recipes that incorporate them.

When the cookbook arrived in the mail I was immediately impressed-- the photos are stunning, the format is easy to follow, it's split up by seasons, and overall it's an extremely gorgeous book filled with amazing plant based recipes.

The book is filled with recipes I would love to eat. Recipes I would love to cook? Not so much. 

In case you're new around here I'll start with the basics, I'm definitely a novice in the kitchen. I don't like buying a million ingredients I'm only going to use for one recipe, and I don't often have a lot of unique ingredients on hand. That's where things fell a little flat as I excitedly flipped through the cookbook. Just about every single recipe looked amazing, but every single recipe required obscure (to me) ingredients. I mean some of them even included rose petals...
The cookbook was written by food blogger, Sarah Britton, who has a gorgeous blog also titled My New Roots. I love how she focuses on the benefits of healthy eating and a holistic lifestyle. While she is a self taught cook she's a certified nutritional practitioner and it's obvious she knows what she's talking about.

I'm sure I will eventually dive into trying out a recipe or two-- they all look divine-- but for now it's not a cookbook I'll reach for when it comes to meal planning or just cooking in general. I wouldn't say the book is a total loss because the pictures alone really are gorgeous and the book is filled with so much information when it comes to healthy eating.

Have you ever come across a cookbook that you wanted to love, but just didn't align with your lifestyle? What are some of your favorite cookbooks? 

13 comments

  1. Those recipes do look delicious. Like you, I don't typically stock my pantry with many ingredients. I'm vey simple and will try a new recipe here and there that does not require much. Rose petal? That's a new one for me!

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ton of ingredients and obscure ones would turn me off too. I love to cook but I don't want a ton of leftover expensive ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks fantastic, the pictures look amazing. I have a book that is similar to this one that is more for decoration than practical use, but that's just because I'm lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rose petals?!!!! no thank you.
    honestly, when i'm looking for a recipe, even on the internet, i look for things i already have or would have bought anyway, i hate buying things specific for a recipe because more often than not, i forget about the recipe and then i have ingredients i will never use sitting in my pantry. i'm definitely a novice in the kitchen and i need to keep things as easy as possible lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your honest review. I think pretty pictures in a cookbook are one thing. Being able to cook the actual things in the book - far more important!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel about obscure ingredients - that's sort of how the Chelsea market cook book is, but I'm still intrigued by it lol! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  7. I specifically look for recipes with ten or less ingredients. It completely discourages me when there are twenty or so ingredients for one recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eek... still need to do my review so thanks for the reminder ha! What a gorgeous cookbook. I can't wait to see what you whip up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dessert looks absolutely amazing! YUM! If it's got more than like 5 things in it, I'm out lo. I hate having to run out and get all of these things I'll probably never use again for one recipe.

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your honesty on this. i feel the same way when it comes to cookbooks! but the pics are lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blogging for Books is like the best idea ever! I'm the same way about cookbooks though - I never buy them anymore. That's what Pinterest is for, for free ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe I really wanted to get that cookbook but I'm so glad that you reviewed it! Fancy/random ingredients are the biggest obstacle for me when it comes to cooking. Since I'm just a newbie cook I like to try straightforward and simple recipes without too much crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's how I felt about the Cookie Love cookbook I got from them last month; beautiful pictures and recipes I would devour in a minute, but I couldn't cook them to save my life. Kind of disappointing!

    xo Chelsie @ Life with Rosie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top