Burgers and Baubles

It has been a while since I've talked about a recipe on the blog, but black bean burgers are my new jam thanks to Kristen. I had never tried one before, let alone try to make one, but her post made them sound delicious. When I mentioned them to my husband he was not thrilled with the idea...

I made them anyway and just didn't call them a black bean burger... not only did he love them, he thought I had used sausage in them! (to be fair we had picked up sausage at the store that week to try a recipe Biana mentioned.) They were so good I almost didn't want to share the second one with him.

Kristen had given me a bunch of amazing tips before I made them and I ended up combining the recipe she used and one from Skinnytaste-- which is super easy. I was a little concerned because I don't have a food processor, but I just chopped up the ingredients really small and used a potato masher to mash the beans and it worked perfectly. We eat them with lettuce on pita bread-- delicious! Feta is also good-- and extra siracha if you prefer a little spice!

I've made them probably half a dozen times and aside from how delicious they are, my favorite thing is that you can freeze half the batch (or double it) and have them later in the week. It's the perfect (and easiest) lunch or dinner recipe when you don't want to put in a ton of work to making something.

**they taste better than they look-- iphone 4 camera problems!

Now to totally switch subjects.... after five Rocksboxes I finally decided to cancel my subscription but I thought I would still share my last two boxes.


I switched it up to bracelets for this box and kind of regretted it because I wasn't a big fan of the Gorjana cuff I received. I mentioned that most bracelets are too big for my wrists so I appreciated that my stylist sent me one that I could kind of form to my wrist. My husband, who isn't very opinionated when it comes to jewelry, even mentioned how weird it looked on because it was still too loose- like falling off loose. Didn't wear it at all.

The Perry Street yellow & blue statement necklace was really fun and I loved the shape and design of it, but it didn't seem to be very well made. A few of the stones weren't glued in very well-- not sure if they had previously fallen out and it had been repaired poorly, or if it was just not made well to begin with. Didn't wear this one either.

The Vanessa Mooney necklace was my absolute favorite though, and I'm still kind of kicking myself for not keeping it. As you can tell it's really simple with gorgeous details and it was shorter- so it fell right between my collar bones.


I was really excited to receive both a Loren Hope and House of Harlow necklace in this box-- along with another delicate Gorjana piece. I did really like the House of Harlow necklace but I didn't love that it was actually this felt like material so I could see it getting damaged really easily.

The Loren Hope necklace was really nice-- and as much as I'm loving blues right now I just didn't have very many things to wear with it so I think I only wore it once. The Gorjana necklace went with just about everything and I actually liked it better than the previous Gorjana pieces I received here and here.

Where is your favorite place to shop for jewelry? If you've subscribed to Rocksbox what do you do with all of the boxes? I'm not sure if I should just recycle or keep them for something.

30 comments

  1. I don't eat red meat so I would love to make the black bean burgers! They look delicious. All the jewelry is gorgeous but I'm like you- my wrists are too small for most bracelets so I avoid them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried a black bean burger either but now I'm intrigued! And love your baubles! I need to send mine back and see what my next box holds for me!

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  4. That burger sounds amazing!

    And I love that last necklace! How pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome! I love black bean burgers but have never tried to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That burger looks amazing, yummy!

    Pretty baubles, lady! I've never tried Rockbox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum!!! so so glad you love them and they worked out well :) we actually had these for lunch yesterday, lol and i made extra to freeze them.. and my husband ended up eating them for dinner!! they are seriously so good - and yours look really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely going to have to try that burger - my husband would be all over it!! I have the same problem with bracelets that they send - it's always way too big! I love all those necklaces! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I'm a vegetarian, I eat my fair share of black bean burgers like no one else... yum!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love black bean burgers. I really want to sign up for Rocksbox but I need to save up a bit more before I sign up for another subscription box.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha I"m undecided on what to do with my Rocksbox boxes too! I am in LOVE with the current necklace I have, but I'm trying to be good so I'm swapping it. But gosh it's tugging at me ;) Those burgers looks so good. I'm going to have to try them. We love the Morning Star brand Spicy Black Bean burgers but I've never tried to make any myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Black bean burgers are so good and sometimes I prefer them over real burgers. Yours look like they came out good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Officially making black bean burgers to put in the freezer this week. I'm not a huge meat person so this sounds like the perfect alternative just in time for the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All cute jewelry though :) Have you kept some of the pieces from previous boxes? I love black bean burgers but haven't made one in a LONG time. Maybe I should do it soon. I'm just trying to avoid bread so maybe I'll eat it without bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to try those black bean burgers! I've flipped a page and now I don't eat any red meat or chicken so I really need to find some good alternatives to regular burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear ya on the iPhone 4 camera. That's why I always have my husband take pictures because he has the 6. Haha. Anyway, I saw that Skinnytaste recipe recently and I was thinking about trying it. Now that you've shared yours I think that I will. That jewelry is really pretty too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a huge red meat person so I'm going to have to try these black bean burgers! But I'll have to do the exact same thing and not tell my husband what they are so he'll eat them ;) Men. And I felt the same way about Rocksbox, it was hit or miss so I cancelled after a couple of boxes. I don't really miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a bummer about the cuff! :( It's super cute. :/
    LOVE the blue necklace - especially with your polish. GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never made a black bean burger, but I do love to eat them so good to know they were simple to whip up! Great tip on the potato masher, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Black bean burgers are something I've been wanting to try-so thanks for giving me the push to make some! I won't be able to tell Dustin what they are until after he bites into them, haha. Why did you decide to cancel Rocksbox? I am still loving mine. I just send the boxes back when I send my jewelry back; I didn't realize I could keep them, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Burgers and jewelry! This is my kind of post! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a vegetarian and love black bean burgers! These look delicious! :) Oh! and I love House of Harlow! Gorgeous :)

    Somer @ Stroll Down Somer DeLane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Burgers and baubles is one heck of a combo I can get on board with ;) I'll have to try my hand at these burgers and I LOVE your new goodies, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those burgers look amazing!! I am currently loving Rocksbox still, but although most of the pieces I receive are cute, they aren't always the best quality and I can't believe that people would pay those high retail price tags for them!!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ummm, those burgers look delish! My mom was texting me about a cookout we're having with extended family this weekend and she was mentioning hamburgers. I haven't been able to get them off my mind ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those burgers look delicious... I might have to give those a try! Bummer to hear you weren't too excited with your Rocksbox subscription. I think jewelry is so dependent on personal preference and taste, a subscription box for that would be tough!

    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ohmygosh those burgers look soo yummy!! I can't believe there's no meat in it! It looks absolutely amazing!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum, I love black bean burgers! Which is kind of crazy because I loved a good hamburger before I went veg even though I rarely ever ate red meat otherwise (never was a steak fan). I'll definitely have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never had a black bean burger but now I'm intrigued. I'll definitely have to check that recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those burgers look so good! I haven't actually found black beans in Switzerland... I wonder if I could make them with kidney beans?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top