Goodbye Brownie Brittle and Other Things From the Week


My mom was in town last weekend and even though the weather wasn't the friendliest we had the best time. There was a lot of shopping, good food, games, and laughing way too hard. I had the best carnitas tacos at Rosa Mexicana, tried Pho for the first time, and we even found gluten free cupcakes.




Up until a few weeks ago I would have told you the Natural History Museum is one of my least favorite museums in DC... the gems and minerals exhibit is now one of my all-time favorites. I could spend all day inside and can't get over the beauty of some of the stones. (My iPhone 4s photos don't do much justice) The main reason we stopped by the NMNH was to see the Orchid Exhibit. The cool thing is that they change out a lot of the orchids every few days so if you're from the area it's worth stopping in more than once, meaning I'll definitely be back.


In other news I got my first Influenster perk- the Calvin Klein Reveal cologne. Whenever I order from Nordstrom or Sephora I usually try and pick men's colognes for my free samples so I can give them to my husband. I'm not the best at describing fragrances but Reveal feels warm and cozy, like it would be best suited for cooler months. It's different than anything my husband typically gravitates towards so I don't see it becoming a new favorite, but I think it's worth a smell the next time you're at a department store. *I received the products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.*

For Valentine's Day one of the things I got for my husband is this really cute print from TwoSarahs on Etsy. There's something I love about it- and I think it would be a really good wedding or engagement gift for someone.

Back in November I attempted to give up sweets-- I did pretty well for the first couple of weeks and then I kind of just forgot about it. Lately I've been eating so poorly again- the amount of peanut butter cups I ate over the weekend is alarming. So I won't be trying the red velvet oreos anytime soon and no more brownie brittle... or cake, donuts, candy, ice cream, pop, pie, I could go on but I won't.

I am definitely going to need a lot of willpower! I hope you guys have a great Friday and a good weekend!

21 comments

  1. I'm with you on the sweets! Just when we got past the holidays, Valentine's Day candy slowly started showing up in our house, and I can't let it go to waste, can I? :) That stones and gems exhibit looks simply dreamy - so beautiful! Glad you had a good time with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been devouring way too many PB cups too! But otherwise, my diet has been increasingly better... so it's a trade off, right??

    So glad you had a good time with your mom. I think DC is going on my travel list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the CK cologne as well and I love the smell - I actually told Gary to wear it more!! I've never had Pho but your photo makes me want to try it!! Happy Friday! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl you are one strong lady! Me and the sweets--our bond is unbreakable...even if I try! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a better woman than me for giving up sweets Carly. I just couldn't do it for very long. I think 21 days is the longest I've gone, haha!
    So glad you and your mom had a great time. That exhibit looks awesome!
    Have a great weekend hun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had the same problem with sweets lately! I have no self control. Good luck with giving them up this time!! Love that print you got on Etsy. Have a good weekend girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That exhibit sounds great. I really need to make it a point to do more museum-ing. And I adore that print, it's so sweet! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect visit with your Mama. How did you like the Pho? Beef is my fave and I crave it all the time, I swear. Love the cute print you got for your hubs and you're right, it's the perfect gift for a couple! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since the snowapocalypse I swear I have been eating like I am a hibernating bear, it has got to stop! We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that exhibit - we went in 2012 and spent a lot of time in that museum. I love pretty much all the Smithsonians though.
    Good luck on the no junk - I have been trying to cut back but I just seem to eat more, instead! Maybe I'll start on monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a fun visit with your mom (and YUM to Rosa Mexicano...love their pomegranate margaritas!). That gems exhibit sounds beautiful, I'm pretty sure I could spend all day in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a huge fan of that museum either, but I would definitely dig the rocks/gems exhibit! Also, I love Pho! Did you like it? I'm hoping Dustin will take me out for some form of Asian food this weekend; I am craving Thai but would settle for Chinese or Korean! I love the print you got for Valentine's Day! You're not missing out on much with the Red Velvet Oreos-they are super rich and I can only eat one a day. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your weekend sounds like so much fun! I love when my mom comes to visit. I need to try those red velvet Oreos... but I've also been eating pretty poorly lately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That exhibit sounds so awesome! I'm so excited to do some DC things in a few weeks. I've been in town several times as an adult but I haven't done any of the monuments or museums since I was a kid.
    I can't get over how adorable that print is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The no sweets is quite a feat let me tell you since Im currently doing that! That exhibit looks great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mum time is the best! I'm always having a great time whenever my mum is around:) the exhibit sounds awesome - I'd love a peek myself! Xo Carly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had such a fun time with your Mom! I was obsessed with gemstones when I was growing up so that exhibit sounds SO up my alley. That print is adorable! I'm going to have to look into finding something similar for our area because Tyler and I met in some pretty incredibly random circumstances and it would be so nice to have that as a happy reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Lord, brownie brittle is just the best. Ty and I have been on a huge Oreo kick lately, and I'm beginning to feel like we really need to get our obsession under control. I'm embarrassed to even admit how many Oreos we've been eating.

    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  19. Her prints are so cute!! And I need to give up brownie brittle...it's just so gooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love pho! Did you like it? We had it for lunch yesterday and were in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top