Training for Tuesday (January)




When I looked at the calendar and saw it was already time for this post I kind of freaked out a little bit. How could it possibly already be the last week of January? I'm excited to linkup with Tracy and Alyssa today though, so make sure you swing by their blogs!

I had some progress this past month-- progress that was necessary, but not the kind I was hoping for. I did a lot of planning when it comes to running and my fitness goals- but not so much of the actual running part. But, the planning needed to happen so everything else could follow.

I found two 5ks that I'm trying to decide between. One is in April and one is in May, so either way I have plenty of time to get up to speed (literally, haha) with where I want to be for the event.

My problem with running any kind of distance is that I want to run fast. I don't like pacing myself-- I'm not good at pacing myself so I struggle. That's one thing the C25K app definitely helped me with.

In searching for a 5k I found myself wishing I was already capable of doing more. I found so many longer races that looked like they would be so much fun. I started to feel like everyone runs bigger races these days. I got over it and am continued to be encouraged by what others are doing, but I need to focus on goals that make sense for me.

Goals for this next month:

Gym 2-3x a week. This doesn't mean I'll get on the treadmill, but it means I'll force myself to go to the gym and move my body and get some kind of cardio exercise. It's not realistic for me to even think about running outside with how cold it is right now, so I'm not even going to pretend that's something that will happen.

30-50 minutes of at-home exercise 4x a week. I've been doing hip-hop abs on occasion and want to add in some blogilates too.

Continue healthy eating habits. I've still been eating way too much sugar, (mini red velvet cupcakes at work.... don't mind if I have five!) but we've been buying a lot or produce each week which is a big change for us. I've also been doing a better job actually preparing meals in advance.


Krystal posted a recipe she found for this shrimp & broccoli stir fry recipe & it was so good on top of being the easiest recipe ever.


So to sum it up I just want to eat well & get moving. What are you working towards?

27 comments

  1. Good luck with your goals girl! I really need to get back to the gym, Ive taken way too many weeks off now and Im really feeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goals are so great!!! I'm the same when it comes to snacking at work - can't say no to treats in the kitchen lol! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy! That does look so good. I love stir fry and we recently just tried it with chicken for the first time. I'm trying to be better about the sweets, but then I want to try things like new brownie recipes and people don't eat them all. Good luck with your goals this month, looks like you have some great plans in place!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals, lady! I'm sure you will rock them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're smart to be realistic about what you can and are willing to do at this point. A lot of people don't do that and they set themselves up for failure right from the beginning! I personally think that planning for your goals is a really important part of the process. I totally understand wanting to just be better already, and I know it's hard for you having been a sprinter! Pacing is something that can't really be taught, you just have to work it out by trial and error, but I bet you'll see a huge improvement by April or May! What 5ks are you looking at doing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, girl! I definitely need to start working out again period - it's been put on the back burner ever since we moved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to catch up on these posts of yours, but I'm sooo excited for you to achieve your running goals! I feel the exact same way when it comes to exercising outside- my coworkers run outside all the time, but I just KNOW that won't happen for me, lol. So glad to hear you love Blogilates, too! She's so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree girl, just be realistic and make any small changes you can. They add up, it takes a little time to truly change your lifestyle, and that is what you want :) That dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm if I was eating meat right now I would be all about that shrimp stir fry. yum.
    meanwhile - i totally feel you on the wanting to do bigger races because it seems like everyone is - but we all started somewhere and smaller races are seriously some of the most fun. i hope you meet all your goals, and you are totally gonna smash a 5k - whichever one you do (do both!!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, any progress at all is progress to be proud of and grateful for, so applause right off the bat! I know your struggle with pace, I have had the same struggle off and on for a year. A big part of running is mental, and that includes slowing down because you know that it's crucial to running far. Especially in the beginning, it's going to be a real challenge to run far AND fast.
    As far as "bigger" races, you'll get there. If you want to! And shorter races are part of the process of getting there. And they can be SO much fun. You're gonna do great and I can't wait to hear which race you pick! Good luck with these goals. PS love the blog facelift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm right there with you as far as not running outside. We've had a bit of a warm stretch here in northern MN, but it's supposed to be back to the single digits this weekend. I've come to accept the idea that I'll just have to run inside for awhile. Actually, I'm lucky that I even have a treadmill and can do that in the comfort of my own home. So no complaining from me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to check out that shrimp and broccoli stir fry! Perfect for our Paleo dinners!
    Ally - Life as I know it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are great goals. It is way to cold to run outside now but the treadmill is a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not eating dessert every night. Last night was day one.....that recipe looks so good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. same goals as you! move more and eat well. I guess I should stop buying cake cookbooks, that would probably help me in my goal

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you!!! You need a good GPS watch that gives you your pace & really keeps reminding you where you are at.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your goals sound doable which I think is so important! And I think you'll do great at the 5k!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your plans and it sounds like you're sticking to them which is awesome! I've also been trying to eat healthier and staying away from sweets, but that's so hard to do sometimes. I'm excited for you to do the 5k, you're making me want to sign up for one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Get it, girl! You're doing great and I'm so inspired by you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. yum, that shrimp and broccoli stirfry looks amazing! Your goals sound attainable!! I've been making it to work out but I MUST improve my eating. That's where it makes the biggest difference for me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are killing it. A few red velvet cupcakes won't hurt if you're working out :) At least, that's what I think. Also, I'm freaked out that January is almost over already. This year is flying by. Weeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  22. my downfall is failure to be ready and prepped with food!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is exactly what i needed to read as i'm going through the same thing! your goals sound wonderful and i may copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are on your way girl and doing great! I think you should sign up for both 5k runs! Keep the motivation going!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Girl I am so with you on the pacing thing. C25k definitely helped me with that--but what I'll say is, the more consistent you are with just doing it (slow, fast, walk, stop, whatever), the faster you'll get. I've been in no way working on my pace--I've just been pushing myself to get out and do it--and my pace has improved significantly as I've gone along. Your body has a natural rhythm and you'll figure it out. I also feel like everyone is like "ok ran my 5 miles for the day" and I'm over here suffering through a two miler.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Continuing healthy eating is a challenge isnt it? I love it though. Great goals!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Back to Top